Clemson University

« See more reviews of Clemson University

Professors of my smaller classes (30 or below) know my name but in bigger classes they don't. My favorite class at Clemson was English 103, a class required for all freshmen to take. My class was such a tight knit group and my teacher was so friendly and flexible in assignments that she made the class interesting to be in and I looked forward to going to class each day. The amount students study depend on their major- I would say that engineers and chemists have a bit more work than communication and business majors, although everybody does a decent amount of work for their degree. Class participation is common in the smaller classes where it's easier to communicate with the professor. I personally have not had many intellectual conversations outside of class other than with my roommate, but I'm sure other people do. Students are competitive to some extent, but it seems more that we're looking to help each other out not compete with each other. The most unique class I've taken is packaging science. I found it very interesting and enjoyed learning the random information that I would never think to take a class about before. My major is Graphic Communications-I love it. The department head wasn't exactly the friendliest with me when I wanted to switch into the major but he finally let me and now I'm enjoying it a lot. One of the advisors I talked to did not give me much advice at all, which was pretty frustrating but the other one I've spoken to was very informative. However, I ended up in a harder physics class that I was required to take instead of an easier version offered because I was unaware of the options I had. I don't spend much time with professors outside of class other than short informal visits right before or after class to clear up questions. Clemson's academic requirements are fair--they force you to take classes that are for your major and give you a list of 4 straight years of classes to be sure you complete your degree on time. However, this schedule does not give us that much time to take electives and explore other areas, which I am not too fond of. I think education at Clemson is geared towards getting a job but growing from the experience.

I find it amazing how small my classes are. Right now, my largest class is probably about 40 students. Professors in smaller classes will definitely know your name, but in larger classes it is beneficial to introduce yourself to them or go visit them during office hours, so they can get to know you. My favorite class this semester is English. We're studying rhetorical usages in the media and it is very interesting. My professor is great and very personable. My least favorite class is macroeconomics. Econ is just not my thing. At Clemson, your teachers will tell you if you study the same amount in college that you did in high school, you will make a GPA 1.7 points lower. Studying at this school is definitely very popular. The kids here care about their academics and are easily able to balance their social life with their academics. Students don't usually discuss intellectual ideas on the weekends and they are not competitive with each other about grades. The most unique class I took was Theatre Appreciation. We got to see a couple different plays, learned about theatre, and even got a chance to do some acting. I am currently a business management major with a French minor. Fortunately, Clemson has a business school in Belgium, so I hope to study there next year! Luckily, Clemson's reputation is very great among businesses, so hopefully my degree will land me a job. The first year of college is mostly general education classes, but I find they're nice to take because they give you an overview of what exactly you can do with your degree. It allows you to evaluate if what you're studying is actually what you want to do. Clemson does all that they can to help you get a job. There is a career center on campus that allows you to take a discovery test to make sure you are in the right major and they will also assist you in finding a job. Clemson's alumni are also great resources when it comes to job searching. They understand that Clemson students have the values needed to succeed.

Yes, most of my professors know my name, if not all of them. My favorite class is my major's class, Computer Science. My least favorite class is Math 208 which is a very challenging math class, but it is interesting despite the complex concepts. Students will study about an hour or two a night, including homework. Once a week or so they will have multiple hours, but nothing too much to handle without considerable amounts of free time. It depends on the class, but yes, students generally do engage in discussion and give presentations. Students have intellectual discussions all of the time! We talk about politics, sociology, psychology, the origins of life, religion, homosexuality, etc. These are our favorite things to discuss. Yes, students are competitive, but not to the point where they get upset when they lose. Our saying is "the score is fun to fun." Just like our football team after the Orange Bowl, they are encouraged to try harder next time. The most unique class that I have taken is a Computer Science class on numbers and data structures and password encoding. It is very interesting and one of my favorite classes. That said, I am a Computer Science Major, where I will learn to program in C and C++. I will also be teaching myself different computer languages and I intend on programming for mobile devices and then video games after I graduate. Professors at Clemson have office hours that I can choose to capitalize on and go see them whenever I like, whether I need help on homework or help with a social situation. The school has general education requirements where students are encouraged to take a wide variety of classes their freshman year. This helps in the student's ability to choose a major in their first year of college and not lose credit hours. The education at this school is to learn just for the sake of learning new things. Most students here are not worried about whether they will get a job or not, they know that they will end up alright after college with a Clemson degree.

Know your name: Once you get really into your major classes, usually sometime Sophmore year, yes. But that is contingent on participation! You have to participate! There are not too many HUGE classes. I think the biggest class I was ever in was Psych201 (Intro to Psychology), and that was maybe 200 and is kinda expected that's a really popular course. Never had any other class over 30, sometimes less than 15. Studying: depends on your major and if you want a good GPA or not. Participation: come on you have to participate in college.... Conversations: again, depends. if you want to have intellectual conversations there are a lot of outlets for that. if you dont, you can easily avoid them. Competitive: I've never had a teacher that graded based on quotas (I'm only giving out 3 As, 7 Bs, ect..). So I would say no. Most Unique Class: Camping and Backpacking. We literally did just that, go camping and backpacking around Tennessee. It only counted as one credit (a normal class is 3-4), but it was a lot of fun. They have a lot of great leisure skills classes. I also took things like Bosu, Yoga, Pilates, First Aid... There are always opportunities to take something crazy just to try it out, they even have 1 credit dance classes, even fly fishing, crazy.... Academic Requirements: pretty standard, maybe a little low/easy to complete. They only require that you take 4 classes a semester (or 12 credits), I usually took 18+ and had a great social life. I think this is why so many people take 5 years, because they only take the bare minimum, but then again I might have been the extreme because I had finished all my requirements and had MORE than enough credits to graduate the winter before my graduation in spring. And I studied abroad a semester, which normally slows people down.

Professors do know my name. I didn't really have a favorite class. It was probably one of my Sociology classes with a Professor that I had for 3 different semesters. It was a great class. My least favorite class was Comm 310 with Dr. Jones. She was a horrible professor and I didn't learn anything. It depends on the major as to how much students study. If its a tough major, students put a lot of time into studying to make the grades they want. If it's not a tough major, you can adjust to how much studying you need to do. Class participation depends on the professor and the culture of the class. Some classes are straight lecture and the professor only wants to hear him or herself talk. Other classes are very interactive. Oh yeah, if there is something discussed in class that has students curious, students will definitely continue talking outside of class. Students are competitive in certain contexts. There are students that are at college to make a 4.0 and get mad if they fall short and don't beat the student beside them. One of the most unique classes I took was a tv/journalism class and our final project was filming either a news feature or a sports feature story and presenting our feature to the class. That was fun. I was a communications major. We have to learn a lot of communication theories, writes lots of papers and then, depending on your concentrated area, apply what you learn to projects. Our department is great for the most part. Professors, overall, are very helpful. There was only one professor in my department that was a bad professor. I do spend time in their office. Their academic requirements get tougher year after year. Education is geared towards a career opportunity in whatever field you are in

If you are in state there are tons of scholarships you can get. They do require you to keep your grades up. I am out of state and did really poorly my first semester. However, since then I have gotten my act together. It was my own fault and as long as you keep up with the class you can do fine. of course there are some challenging courses, thats the idea, but there is tons of extra help you can get if you are struggling. The longest paper I ever had to write was a 24 page, single space, term paper. Other than that I have only heard of 12-15 pages double space. Tests are regular, and of course there are some classes that are a peice of cake. Your grades are your own and we use a Blackboard computer system to keep up with your progress in every class. I am a travel and tourism major and the best teacher I have ever had is Dr. William Norman. He is constantly offering his students support, I stop by his office in passing just to say hi, because he makes his students appreciate him, as well as themselves. My computer crashed mid spring semester this year. He helped my find a backup so I could still complete my work with ease. As an advisor for the department he tells it like it is, and always find the best solution to a problem. All of the departments back up their students and are always finding internships and job opportunities.

Even though Clemson is such a good school I don't feel like it is extremely hard to do pretty well. The university likes well rounded students so they like people to concetrate on other things than their classes especially when it comes to getting involved in various clubs and activities on campus. This makes it nice becasue instead of your peers being really competitive with you, everyone is willing to help eachother out for the betterment of everyone. The library can even be fun sometimes because all your friends go and it can turn all niters in to just hanging out with them. I mean, everyione goes to the library to do their studying. Not alot of people like to study in their rooms. Professors are real laid back and more than willing to help. We have great opportunities. I studied aborad last semester in Hong Kong and am currently in Washington DC interning for the state department so you can be extremely successful if you take the opportunities available to you within your departments. Clemson can be dificult to get in nowadays. I know it has increased alot from when I applied. They seem to liek well roundedness however so don't worry to much about SAT/ACT scores because I was well below average. The business school that I am in is now a top 20 public school program and they have alot of opportunities within.

The professors definitely know your name, especially if it is in your major. Different students study different amounts, pending on your major, how smart you are, and what grades you want to make. Class participation is definitely common and with small class sizes is feasible. Clemson students and faculty have intellectual conversations outside of class, especially downtown at a local watering hole. Students are more cooperative than competitive. It is usually like your class is a team and you are all trying to get through the semester together, this makes everyone more competitive when the graduate and adds value to everyone's Clemson degree. My major is Applied Psychology, and all of our faculty are pretty cool and can be found outside of class or even the University. Some even play music downtown. Clemson's requirements are constantly becoming more and more rigorous so that our degrees become more competitive both nationally and internationally. Clemson is a very research oriented and applied school, meaning that they prepare you for the work force while continuously contributing to the knowledge base.

Yes, my professors know who I am. My favorite class has been Construction Scheduling. It is a very down to earth course and I learn the exact steps of the construction process. My least favorite class was Structures, this class is more for engineers and architects and we got thrown in there and it was tough and I won't use much of it ever again. Students study at least 2 hours a week at the minimum. Class participation is a good part of most classes. Students are very competitive, and intellectual. My major is Construction Science and Management. It is an awesome major because it's small so you have the same students is your classes most of the time and the same teachers for different classes so you have a chance to get to know your peers and teachers on a personal level. Clemson academic requirements are fine, the are challenging, but achieveable. My education is geared toward getting a job.

Most of my professors know my name. My favorite class was Calculus one. It was well taught and had the perfect balance between lecture and working on practice problems. My least facvorite class was a general engineering class. Very little information was actually taught and we were expected to teach ourselves almost everything. Most students study several hours a week and are pretty responsible about devoting time for studying. Most classes do not care about class participation. Students are not really competitive with one another. But, students are very helpful with one another and enjoy working together. my major is industrial engineering and so far it has been moderately tough. I personally do not spend time with my professors outside of class, but they all have office hours and are very approachable. the school's academic requirements are very achievable.