Clemson University

« See more reviews of Clemson University

Academics are definitely on the rise in Clemson. More and more students apply to Clemson each year and it is becoming tougher to get in as a result. Clemson's "Destination Top 20" quest has been a major success. President Barker implemented a plan for Clemson to be a Top 20 public institution by the year 2010, and we are well on the way. This plan has attracted more top-notch students and faculty members. Students are very competitive. The library is always packed. Students often participate in class. Professors are fun. Classes range in size from 10 to 400. Academics at Clemson are challenging, but worth it as a degree from Clemson is very valuable.

Clemson is a demanding university, as far as the work you will put into being successful. There were no "easy A's" except for the leisure skills classes. I was in the architecture program and it was brutal, but all of my professors still remember my name and I theirs. The good news is, most future employers know how hard it is to be successful and therefore look forward to having Clemson graduates apply for employment. It is not a university to grab a quick degree from to satisfy your parents, if you commit to Clemson, you will have no choice but to walk away with something that is worthwhile and beneficial to the rest of your future.

Within the art department, professors are very personable and students generally work very hard. While unheard of by man, the visual arts program has some great teachers such as Sydney Cross, a published and well known printmaker within the art world. Art majors are completely disrespected on the whole, however, students within the department work hard to fight the stereotypes that are usually associated with art majors. Clemson's academic requirements seem fair (aside from e-portfolio); I appreciate that it requires students to be well rounded and take classes such as philosophy or art history as long as math and science.

The engineering department in Clemson is fantastic. Granted, the freshman year engineering courses are primarily bull s&%!, but their purpose is to "weed out the weak" as my engineering T.A. so delicately put it. Once you actually start into your major courses it's really interesting and, for the most part, really well taught. Being an engineer is hard as hell. Don't let anyone ever tell you any differently. The engineering department at Clemson will not hesitate to push you to the limits of your academic ability. But, if you graduate with a Clemson engineering degree pretty much any employer will take you.

Yes, my professors know my name. My favorite class was my Communications class from last semester. My least favorite was Psychology. I see a lot of people in the library all of the time, so I guess students in general study a lot. Class participation is very common, and intellectual conversations do happen outside of class. The most unique class I've taken is Guitar. My major is Computer Information Systems. It's hard, but I'm doing okay. I do talk to my professors and advisors a lot. The education prepares you for the job world and gives you a little extra information for the road.

You become closer to your professors as you get into classes in you major. Every professor has their own unique teaching style, but they each work in their own unique way. Of course you like some better than others, but that is expected. The one thing i wish is that the university would put more funding into the undergraduate program instead of expending sooooo much into the graduate program. As you go around campus you see a lot of great facilities but then, as a student, you just frown as you realize that almost all of them are fro graduate students only. Prime example, ICAR.

My professors do know my name. I think most students study an hour to 30 mins a day, but not all at once, just a little bit between classes anda t night, and then study a lot before tests (thats what I do). Class participation is common and in a lot of classes required. Students are not really competetive and me and my friends don't have extremely intellectual conversations outside of class. The most unique class I've taken is probably my Sexuality in the Cinema class. My major is English, so I write a lot of papers, but I liek that more that taking tests.

While athletics are a major part of the Clemson Experience, academics are taken very seriously. Being a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), Clemson takes pride in continually striving to better their academic achievements. President Barker has a vision of making Clemson a Top 20 Public Institution. Since his arrival, Clemson has made great strides on its way to the goal of being in the Top 20. President Barker is very involved with the student body, as he and Mrs. Barker host various events at their home on campus.

The professors are so personable and caring and know what they are doing. They are the best of the best. The students are competitive, but not so much with each other. They care more about personal growth and success and they know why they are in school - to get an education and learn the most so that they will be successful in life. In nursing of all the professors I have had so far, they have all been extraordinary. They have made my first year experience worthwhile and I cannot wait for next year!!

What makes Clemson different from other universities is that it teaches you how to fish. It takes the old adage "catch a man a fish and he'll live for a day; teach a man to fish and he'll live for a lifetime." Clemson offers principles of life throughout the teaching cirriculum as well as supplying the knowledge you need for your field. By doing this Clemson creates a marketable competitor for jobs as well as filling your mind with knowledge that is prepared to handle any situation that is thrown at you.