Clemson University

« See more reviews of Clemson University

The most frustrating thing about Clemson University is the narrow minded focus on sporting events. As mentioned earlier, the school is known for its athletics. So, tailgaiting is a weekly event. The crowds of intoxicated spectators is overwhelming, as they block the streets with their monstrous sports utility vehicles, which comfortably accomodate a big screen television, as well as, coolers overflowing with Busch Light. However, the wreckage is most visible the day after, when waste receptacles are bursting with aluminum cans (while recycling bins are half empty) and the foul stench of fermented grain lingers in the air.

While I don't consider Clemson to be 'too big', there are enough people that's you can get 'lost in the crowd'. Even if you attempt to join different clubs or groups, it can be difficult make a connection. It would probably help, especially during freshman year, if there was some program that encouraged interaction between students. The friends I make in classes come and go every semester. The people I've stayed close to are girls who were on my hall in previous years or people I met randomly.

The most frustrating thing may be the eerie sense of detachment on weekends when there's no home game to rev up for, and a good half of the student body has driven off to spend the weekend in their hometown. As an-out-of-stater from the big city, the prospects of trying to make the off-days count on a desolate rural campus with a "downtown" that stretches for all of two-and-a-half blocks can be quite disconcerting - especially when you don't own a car! But at least there's a bus service.

I do not think there is enough artistic diversity at Clemson. I attended a magnet high school for the arts in North Charleston, South Carolina called School of the Arts that encouraged a deep appreciation for the arts. Even while I am enrolled in the graphic communications program, my professors frown on their students enrolling in any classes in the art department which I feel takes away from our education and future understanding of the graphic industry.

The most frustrating thing about Clemson University is the "textbook" binders that are made on campus and can not be resold and are not reused for the semesters after. These books can cost up to $200 each and only used for one semester, some are required to buy and almost never used, then you are unable to return them. Also the lack of any school granted out of state student scholarships is frustrating because of the very high out-of-state tuiton.

At Clemson University, there is a huge lack of diversity, awareness of minority groups, and excessive billing. Furthermore, the funding of the school does not entirely go towards the betterment of the school. There are also unnecessary fees for labs, for example a 30 minute lab of language writing which was billed as 150 dollars. Clemson University would be great if they also included more parking spaces.

The most frustrating thing about Clemson is trying to deal with scheduling conflicts, such as classes you need that are full. Also, the flawed system Clemson uses for admitting students into the Nursing program is frustrating. Rather than entering as Nursing majors, students interested in Nursing should only be admitted to the program after application in their sophomore year.

The only frustrating aspect of Clemson is that it offers amazing scholarships for in-state students. Unfortunately I am not an in-state student and therefore was not able to reap these benefits. I have worked so incredibly hard to have the GPA that I have for graduate school admittance, yet I have not received any assitance from this school as an out-of-state resident.

Because I am a transfer student who started in the middle of the year, I found it difficult to find friends. Everyone already had their social circles and friendships made when I started at Clemson in January. While this has been frustrating, people are friendly. It just takes a while for the Clemson students to consider you one of their own instead of an outsider.

The most frustrating thing about my school right now is trying to register for classes. For some classes that a lot of students need, they only offer a few sections so you could be in a class with 200 other students. Also, another frustrating thing is online homework. If they can't teach it to us in class, then what good is the computer going to do?