Colorado School of Mines Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Colorado School of Mines

Roberto

I think it's a great and tough engineering school. They provide a state of the are curriculum and the skills necessary for their students to succeed. In fact, most employers know that and constantly seek for new talent during career fairs held twice a year.

Amber

I'm in my 3rd year at Mines and I love it. Sure it's hard but everyone here is going through the same thing so we have a great support system. If you are struggling with something academically it's easy to find someone who can help you. The professors have tons of experience in industry. There are tons of clubs to get involved with and if there isn't a club for what you're looking for you can start one. People are pretty nerdy here but I love that about it. I've met the best people here and I feel like we have a very active community. I have found tons of people to try new things with like skiing or rock climbing. People are very polite and kind here. I love our staff, faculty, and students. Our sport teams rock. Our academics is better.

I have loved Mines since the minute I got here. Even though we don't have a big sports culture, we have a hundred things to fill it's place. If you're not studying - which I promise there are times when you're not studying, even though sometimes that seems like a joke - you're walking by the creek, hiking up the nearby mountains, or going to get pizza at Woody's. Sure, we're a bunch of engineers. Sure, you're as likely to talk about your homework over the weekend as the next big party, but that's what I love. It's a huge campus full of geeks making their way through this challenging university so that they can achieve their big dreams.

Shannon

CSM offers student a multitude of academic and extracurricular opportunities. Despite overwhelmingly engineering-oriented majors, the school entertains all student interests. In this way, each student can find their niche of like minded people through academic work, clubs and/ or outdoor recreation. Campus is located in a quaint town separated from, but a convenient drive to, Denver and the Rocky Mountains. Room for focus on "Environment" in Earth, Energy, Environment motto to be increased.

I really like it. There are people who will help in the school. CASA and professors and other students are able to help me succeed college. The food isn't that bad though over time you may get sick of it. It's a very positive community in which many people you meet are kind. Colorado School of Mines is truly a place for people interested in engineering as there are so many people in various engineering fields. Mines is a beautiful place right next to the mountains which I hiked with some of my friends. It has a very good environment and community.

Vivienne

It is an amazing school with a beautiful, small campus. The facilities are nice, and most are new or have been renovated. The main gym is very nice, with a fantastic pool! The dorm rooms are alright, but they have a great community. If you have a chance, I would recommend going on a tour, I did one that was all day and we would be led around to different parts in buildings that would have what you are interested in (chemistry, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, etc).

Cassidy

I LOVE BEING HERE. The curriculum is extremely difficult, but the resources available make it manageable. While the school is very academically inclined, there are communities on campus that you can join to really feel like you fit in somewhere. The coursework is very challenging, but also rewarding.

Anais

This school was made for the students it teaches. Classrooms are welcoming and the teachers are very informed on what they teach, but also friendly enough that a properly asked question can help a student more than they would've thought. The on-campus tutors are extremely helpful and the counselors are amazing at their job. As someone who is debating changing major from geophysics to geology they have been so incredibly helpful. Overall, the entire campus is designed to help students learn while also enjoying the process. There are so many ways to get help and so many opportunities to express yourself and actually get outside. The friends that you make at this school not only help you succeed academically but are also people you will continue to talk to years after you've graduated. Truly an amazing experience with so many helpful and talented people.

Michelle

The Colorado School of Mines provides its students with a superb education that provides a very solid foundation for its graduates. The professors there are eager to teach their students and do their best to prepare them for the world ahead. Completing a degree at this school will ensure that an individual is prepared for their future career.

The

I really like Colorado School of Mines. I'm currently a senior there and so far, I made a lot of life long friends who went through the same hardships as I did. It is a very challenging school but as long as you work hard and get through, it will feel absolutely amazing at the end.

Ryan

I am satisfied with my college experience so far. I have successfully navigated my first semester and amassed enough credits to be counted as a sophomore. I think that the classes are really good, I've learned a lot, but I attribute most of that to my study habits. In order to do well here, you have to want success. You can't go to parties all the time and expect that you'll breeze through finals. The food at Mines Market is actually really good, but there are plenty of other opportunities on campus for when you eventually get sick of it. Housing could be better, the rooms are nice, but be prepared to be tripled due to lack of space. Overall, my attitude towards Colorado School of Mines is very positive.

William

Mines is an amazing school. Nowhere on campus do I feel unsafe, which I can't say for many campuses I've checked out. I'm gay, and I've heard horror stories of some other schools. The RAs are all super friendly, the rules for the dorms are lax enough for everyone to feel like they have some elbow room, the food in Mines Market is always changing, and the professors I've worked with want the best for students. I worked on a project for Engineering Design; not only was my professor bragging about it, he found some people to help me and my team pursue it into the future and make it more than a mere prototype!

Mines is the school to make you into a highly capable engineer or scientist if you are willing to work for it. In high school, I breezed through classes and got great grades with no effort. Mines is significantly more difficult than that, but I truly believe it is worth it. I do homework or study about 15 to 20 hours a week, but none of it is busy work. I am constantly learning and feeling myself become a better problem solver. It is difficult, but there is a great community around you to help at every step along the way. Everyone is going through the same challenging courses and they will always be willing to help you out. If you are looking to be an engineer, this is a great school to consider. The community and faculty are dedicated to your education at a school this small, and I feel it is a very good investment. Sadly, the food is pretty terrible.

I am very blessed to go to such an academically rigorous school that will prepare me for real world situations in the work force. I love being a part of collegiate track team here too. I have teammates and teachers and friends all willing to help me succeed in all areas of my life. I am excited for what is to come in the future knowing I am getting a phenomenal education at Mines.

Adam

So far the school is great. I'm learning so much about Computer Science and I love getting to know the professors. The environment at Colorado School of Mines is awesome and the people here are very motivated to learn and be astounding in their respective field.

Aubrey

It is a great school with great academics but it comes at a great cost as well. Your pocket book won't like it, however It is my opinion and the opinion of many others that the school is well worth the money you put in. between the small campus, small classes, and great professor availability you really can't go wrong here.

Samuel

I love being there. The on campus food is very good, but it can get repetitive especially in the middle of the semester. I live in the Traditional Halls, so it is a little cramped, but there are huge study areas in each of the dorm buildings. I feel so safe on campus that I'll run/walk across it at 10pm sometimes and leave my door unlocked. However, the school is extremely rigorous and not for those who can't handle a challenge.

Jared

In my first week at Colorado School of Mines, I knew this was the right place for me. With a solid reputation for good teaching, small class sizes, and a tight knit community, I found all of those traits to be true right off the bat. As Mines students, we cannot be successful without collaborating with other students and that is what makes our student body so unique. Every student supports one another as we each have a mutual goal of being successful and graduating from Mines. Besides the academic benefits, the location of Golden, CO has been a great way to access the mountains, whether it be skiing, biking, running, or hiking. Mines' Outdoor Recreation Center, along with the multitude of outdoor focused clubs makes easy to get outside and meet other people with similar passions. I am excited for the rest of my schooling here and for all of the opportunities to come!

Robert

I made some fiscally irresponsible decisions to go to the Colorado School of Mines, and I have no regrets. I really wanted to swim in college, and their DII swim team is the perfect place for me. The only problem with the school is that the ration of boys to girls is particularly lopsided. I personally love the intellectual culture, and have stayed up talking with my friends about religion world view and politics past 1 am on many occasions. In short, I love it!

Brett

I judge the Colorado School of Mines to be worthy of a five star rating for the quality of the institution and the extracurricular supplementations it offers. Though this may seem a superficially generic rationale, examples will serve to frame the unique experience Mines extends to its student body. My first year at college took me in an entirely different direction than I saw for myself, including Greek life, joining student government, and peer mentoring. Becoming a part of the latter two have provided me with a deep understanding of how the school genuinely tries to involve the student in all aspects of its governance and campus events. I have learned that no matter what passion, there is a leadership role or social chair for anything and everything at Mines. The reason I believe the institution involves its students so heavily is to ensure their time is as memorable as it is lucrative. I can say with total confidence that the entirety of my tuition is well spent, funding job fairs, student organizations such as the Acts of Random Kindness Society, concerts, carnivals, residence hall celebrations, research projects, and least of all the faculty and degree programs among so many more. Personally, I view the administration and institution of the Colorado School of Mines as wholly invested in the continued success of its students far beyond awarding diplomas.

Erin

Colorado School of Mines has proven to be an ideal school choice for me. As someone who adores science, I wanted to go to a school that shares my passions and gives me the tools to achieve my dreams. Mines not only teaches me to be a good and ethical engineer, but it teaches me to be a good human being. Everywhere I go on campus, I am met by a genuine love of learning and a love of helping others. When I first arrived at campus, I did not know anybody. I felts like a little atom with no special properties and no bond with anyone. I was not sure if I would be able to react well with the other atoms. I yearned for a family, or molecule of my own. My first week of school, I was amazed by just how many people felt the same way. I made friends very quickly, and together we dived into our academics. The fantastic thing about Mines is that despite the difficult course load, one could always find time to socialize and help one's friends. On my dorm floor, we always kept our doors open. That was, If anyone was struggling will a tough physic problem, she could yell down the hall and three different people would flock to her with assistance. The incredible sense of camaraderie between students was unique to the sense that I received from other schools while college hunting. Both students and staff truly want to see you succeed, but it will not happen easily. I needed to work very hard for the grades that I received, and I could not be happier with the outcome.

Luis

The thing about Colorado School of Mines is that it truly knows how to break a student down in order to build them up as a high-demand engineer/chemist/scientist/etc. It is by no means an easy school but it manages to pride itself on that and it's somewhat small attendance to provide students with everything they could ever need to succeed in their stem futures. Some of the classrooms are dated seeing as the school is older than the state of Colorado itself but many plans to renovate the campus are already underway. The teachers and staff mostly care about the students and the subjects taught rather the fact that teaching is their job and the source of their income. In my experience, my professors were always easy to approach with set office hours and were always willing to spend a little bit of extra time with me in order for me to completely understand the material. As I stated earlier, Mines is by no means an easy school. It's full of those kids in high school that thought they could get away with not studying for exams and putting in minimal effort in class and many of them face a harsh realization that Mines isn't a place where they can get away with that mentality anymore. It's teaching me, and it has taught thousands before me, that I'm not special and I have to put in the same hard work, if not more, like everybody else if I want to be successful in life. So this is my review on the Colorado School of Mines, the place where students go to die, but engineers are born.

David

Though, I admit my experience with other colleges is limited, I think I would be hard pressed to find one as excellent as Mines. They are a university that is heavily focused on community and learning, and as one of the top engineering schools in the country, I'd say they're succeeding at both. They have a small campus with highly selected attendees. That allows for a small-town atmosphere which provides a closer connection to the students and faculty around you. The curriculum is tough, but that should be expected if you wish to succeed in the real world. Mines does well to prepare its students in life with its robust academia and professors who are always ready and willing to help.

SheaLynn

I am so thankful I found this school when applying for colleges upon graduating high school. Class sizes are small, professors care about your success, and I feel like their are so many resources to reach out to when I need help. Yes, it is a tough school and engineering is a tough major, but people are here to help you succeed.

Jaden

Great school with a lot to offer those that desire an engineering degree from a top institution. The campus is great, athletics are strong, and the teachers make learning a priority. The class work is very challenging and your have to bring your A game to get to the finish line.