Daytona State College

« See more reviews of Daytona State College

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I know now about college life the advice I would give myself would be to stop being so shy and join more clubs and participate in more activites. Now that I am more confident in myself, I try to participate in as many school activities as I can, and I am not as shy as I used to be I feel like a completly different person than I was as a senior in highschool at a new school and new town which makes me feel good. If i could just change this one thing about myself I believe that I would be better off and the transition would have been a lot smoother than it was my freshman year of college.

There is a very wonderful and true saying that hindsight is 20/20. Looking back over both my high school career and my college experiences it is amazing to see the road blocks I have overcome and the determination and desire to learn I have developed. If I were to go back in time, I would not warn myself of coming trouble or give myself winning lottery numbers, I would simply state, "you are stronger then you know". Given the choice I would go through all the hardships and trouble ten times more because without those experiences I would not be where I am today. Now not only do I have a wonderful daughter, but I have more drive to learn and succeed than ever before.

I have been able to study main different areas with the A.A. degree I am in the process of getting. I decided to stay in Daytona Beach to be closer to my family. I do wish my school was a little more conservative and had more food and study areas on campus. I have had good professors as well as bad. The good teachers have been very encouraging with my career choice. When my college went from a comunity college to state they raised the tuition cost which has made it very hard to keep up with a full time load. I have been at the school for two years and plan on graduating with my A.A. and then continuing on into a B.S. degree in Pre-Clinical science.

Attending Daytona State College for my first two years has given me a great start to the education that I need to be a successful elementary teacher. I believe that no matter what, every single person should work towards a great college education because it will be very important for their future. Daytona State College has allowed me to volunteer at local schools to receive the extra experience I will need later down the road, and it has been incredibly helpful. I am extremely excited to get my Associate's Degree in May 2011, and then go to University of Central Florida in Fall 2011 to further my education career.

I would have told myself to really look into musical theatre programs, especially outside of Florida. I know now that just because out of state schools are expensive does not mean I can't attend one. In my case, it is very beneficial to get out of Florida to pursue my BFA in Musical Theatre. If I had known more about what colleges are the best for musical theatre, I would have been able to go to a great school when I first started college but without that knowledge I have had to go to a school that isn't so great for musical theatre and am now looking into new schools so I can get the education I deserve.

If I could go back in time when I was a senior in high school, I would tell myself to stay in college and no matter how hard it gets to keep going. There is never a easy way out. Getting married with a person who had his own business dosen't mean he will be in business his whole life. A person needs to get educated to run a good lasting business here in the United States. If you don't have a strong fundation it will later fall. Having a good education is very important and when you attend a community college with good professors it is even easier to finish a degree.

I have not yet attended any college as this will be my first semester. My experience with college has been the process of deciding to enroll in school and in doing so. After more then a decade of believing that I would never attend college, a passion for Environmental Justice issues has inspired me to pursue formal education in the subject. This has been one of the most ambitious projects I have ever chosen to undertake. Successful completion of the enrollment process is giving me confidence and determination to thrive in the coming period of higher education.

I can honestly say that I have not had the pleasure of being a senior yet. Nonetheless, college is worlds different from high school. The pressure is doubled, and the responsibilities are all the more complicated. If I could go back to my freshman or sophomore year, I would have started Dual Enrollment then so my work load could have been more spread out. Additionally, I would have begun entering scholarship contests then, or started researching colleges and majors then- as opposed to now when I have AP exams to prepare for and college work to complete.

If I could go back and talk to my high school self I would convenience myself to try harder. I finally discovered in my last year of high school the importance of a good GPA. I would tell my 9th grade, 10th grade and 11th grade self to focus on my future more. High school years are the easier years. I had a learning disability in elementary school and middle school. Before I left middle school I had overcome that disability. Instead of trying HARD to continue improving I slacked off and just passed. Live and learn – a hard lesson.

If I could go back in time, I would have applied to more scholarships in order to receive more of stability. I would have also saved up more money so I didn't have to work as much as I do now. It's hard working a full time job and going to school full time as well. Another important piece of advice I would have given myself was to intern and shadow more people that had jobs that interested me. This would have given me more of an understanding of what I really want to do for my future career so I could have been 100% focused on that. :)