Diablo Valley College

« See more reviews of Diablo Valley College

One piece of advice I would give you would be to learn about the college campus before the semester starts. For example, before your first day of school make sure you know how to get to all of your classes. Another example would be to visit the student union and library to learn how you can make the most out of those facilities. I would also advise you to admit when you need help. You are only hurting yourself when you spend hours doing the same homework assignment and refuse to ask your instructor or a tutor to help you. Another piece of advice would be to find motivation to succeed in all of your classes. For example, if you take algebra and do poorly, do not try to make yourself feel better by saying that algebra is not important and you will never need to know it. You need to realize that all classes in college have one important lesson in common, how to learn. Also, go to class prepared. Read your textbook before you go to class, that way when your instructor is lecturing, the material will sound familiar and you will likely learn it easier.

I would encourage myself to continue my passions and not give them up for anyone or anything. I think that you only can be courageous and adventurous only for a short time in your life, so why not make the most of it? To one day tell my grandchildren the stories of my passionate youth will make me proud and I truly hope to make this a reality. Also, I would encourage myself to also understand my limitations and work with them for my advantage. Basically, don't take off more then I can chew, but try nonetheless. When everything has been said and done though, I don't think I'd change one thing since graduation high school. It's made me the person I am today, for better and for worst, I am me. You sometimes need to live through the storm so you can understand life better. Sometimes you needed to take that class that seemed completely pointless to you at the time, but then you learned that you had more of an interest in the subject that you had originally believed. If you keep your heart open, you can lean to love and learn. Thank you.

If I had the chance to visit myself as a high school Senior, I would definitely give myself a piece of my mind. As a senior in high school, I wasn't necessarily a poor student, but I was rarely in class. In the April Fool's edition of the school newspaper, the front page read "LOST STUDENT FINALLY FOUND", with my picture directly below. I was the Senior Class President that year and had way too many connections. Because of my connections and "Ferris Buehler-esque" look at high school, I was never in class, didn't try, and made it by with a 3.0. I was under the impression that senior year was supposed to be "easy". After all that?s said and done, my study habits lacked in my first semester of college. I had to teach myself effort, teach myself hard work in areas of disinterest, and teach myself how to study. High school was nothing compared College, and although I was told that, I never experienced it until now. It's way too easy to get caught up in being a senior and on top of the world, but reality eventually hits pretty hard.

College is an important stepping stone to life, it helps you grow as a person; mentally and physically as well, from long nights studying for an upcoming exam to joining the tennis team at Diablo Valley. I find it very important to attend college because it shapes you to become a better person; it helps mold you into the real world. For example, you don’t know what hard work is until you take a challenging class, it helps you manage your time. You also learn to become more social by meeting your classmates to set up study sessions; this helps you with your social skills, very important in the real world. College helps us get ready for the real work world, and it also opens doors to many possibilities when i first attended Diablo Valley i didn’t know what to do, after exploring many.. many.. majors, i finally found one that fit my personality the best. Without college i would've opened my eyes to my passion. So i encourage everyone to go college to explore and open your eyes to different possibilities that life has to offer.

The most basic thing I would tell myself is to get organized and stay focused. I was not prepared for college and I was extremely confused when I started. I dropped out multiple times, had no faith in myself, and wasn't comfortable enrolling back in classes. If I had known to just meet with my consoler and plan out my college courses, I believe I would have done much better than I have. Had I planned my courses and been organized I would have most likely finished more classes. I would have been focused on my goals and how long it would take me to achieve them. When I enrolled again, a couple years ago, I met with a consoler and planned my courses. I got extremely organized before I started school which enabled me to achieve high marks in all my classes. The better I do in school the more motivated I become to take more courses and complete my degrees. The last thing I would tell myself is to believe in myself. The only person who ever stood in my way was myself. Now that I truly believe I can achieve my goals, school is easy.

I would tell myself that I should take advantage of the opportunities available while they are available. That I should get all that I can from all that is offered. (Get well the getting?s good). The world out there is unstable and you cannot predict where you will be in thirty years. But in today?s society no job or career is secure even the ones that are now in thirty years things change. And a good education can be a springboard to other opportunities. I would tell myself there is no money in retail even in management and the price you pay is even worse due to the stress company?s put on you just for the almighty dollar. I would tell myself to have fun and enjoy the learning process. Just be a sponge and absorb all you can. Life will be a lot easier if you continue on to college right after high school instead of taking a break. Because when you take that break life starts happening and before you know it thirty years have past. Some things in life are just easier to do when you are younger and college is one of them.

Throughout college, I have realized that I wish I would have done a few things different. That thing would be to see a counsler and/or get a mentor. During High School, I had a mentor guiding and helping me to make sure that I was understanding the material. Now, I wish this is what I would have done in college. Even though I was having a hard time during my first years, I never thought of getting a mentor. But if i had to advice myself one thing that I would change is definitely see a counsler during my first year. I spent 3 years doing my general education because I was having a difficult time with some of the material and had to drop classes. This is why I wish I would have had a mentor, because I was having a hard time understading the material. Maybe I would have finished my general education a little bit sooner and moved on to my next educational goal faster. In conclusion, I would advice myself to get a mentor and see a counselor to receive that guidance that I very much needed in order to reach my goals.

Senior year is a very important year! It is now time to think and stay focused on which college you wish to attend. Yes senior year is time for celebrating because you finally did it! But keep in mind once you exit the stage on graduation day you are entering a world full of many careers, obstacles, and opportunities. Its very easy to lose focus so thats why you must push yourself. If you ever feel like you cant do it or your mind is drifting away take a breather but dont stop going to college. If you dont already know what you want to major in simply go for your general education. Within time you'll figure it out. Sometimes you feel like taking a year off but thats not always the best decision. With some, when you take a year off you get use to the freedom of no school and may never even go back. Then five maybe ten years later your in the same place you were in high school. I know, sounds cliche but its true. Listen to those words of wisdom that was once said "if at first you dont succeed,try try again".

When you register for classes, make sure to only register for as many classes as you can handle while leaving room for hanging out with friends and work because you'll want to hang out with friends more often than you'll want to do your homework and there will be times where you'll have to work when you should probably be sleeping in preparation for your classes the next morning. Take a few classes which you wouldn't dream of taking. Don't just take classes which are in your major. There are still many different subjects out there and therefore many different career opportunities. It's not that odd that you haven't decided on what you want to do with your life yet. Many people don't know what careers they want to pursue yet. In fact, there are even some people who are getting their second degrees because they didn't like their current career as much as they thought they would and because they also found out that they are good at a field they discovered while they were at their current career.

College is the time to explore. Forget the family pressure loaded on you or that you load on yourself. If you don't know exactly what you want to do for the rest of your life, guess what? It's okay, really. The average college student changes their major three or four times. College is fun. For the most part, you don't have to take classes that don't interest you. This is the time in your life - your life - to explore what facinates you and intrinsicly motivates you to work and learn. College is the time in your life you become a genuine independent being. Embrace it, but be responsible. Take the classes you chose to enroll in seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously. At 27, I'm not where I thought I would be, or where I had planned to be, and I couldn't be happier. Learn to just go with your flow and you will be pleasantly surprised. Growing up can be fun, so let it be fun. My final bit of advice, it doesn't matter if a class fills a requirement - don't stop learning.