Diablo Valley College

« See more reviews of Diablo Valley College

In high school, your teachers and parents are constantly checking up on you to ensure that your homework is completed and that you are attending all your classes. This is not the case in college. In college, you are on your own. Unlike public high school, you pay to attend college and it is your money wasted if you choose not to go to class. In college you have much more freedom than high school because you are an adult. Of course, not all college students act like adults. The summer break between graduating high school and the first day your freshmen year of college usually isn't enough time for a student to mature and prepare for their new chapter of life. So, if I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would remind myself to be a responsible college student by attending all my classes and completing all my work. Students should be grateful for their opportunity to attend college and should take their time to learn and absorb all that they can from their experience.

One thing that I would say to myself if I could go back in time to my senior year is that I need to take a chance. Take the time to apply for more scholarships and not let myself be completely terrified of the future. My life is very different than I thought it would be, even from just a year ago. Last year I attended University of California, Davis, and I took it for granted. I did alright in school but I didn't apply myself as I could have. I was afraid to put myself out there and take a chance that I treated that opportunity as though I deserved it, and earned it, instead of being a dream that could be taken away so easily. I have now learned that things are not as bad as they seem, and although it may sound naiive, I believe that life will always work out the way it is supposed to. The path you may not choose for yourself may be exactly what you need, and although the school you attend is not your dream or plan, it will nevertheless affect the outcome of your life if you let it.

If I were able to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I'd probably tell myself to keep trying harder and not give up hope. I could probably tell myself what I'm going to do now, and what school to enroll in, but that takes away from what I learned over the years. Its going to be a tough, emotional road and all of the hardships I went through I wouldn't give up. Because we're not going to the greatest student in the world, I would tell myself that our grades don't measure how good we are and getting depressed over it isn't going to do us any better, so just keep our head up. Until this fall semester, I had no idea what I was working towards. It took a friend that dragged me to an art school open house to find out what education I was looking for, so I'd have to be patient. I'd also tell myself to start saving money since the economy is pretty much spiraling downward at the point. Overall, stay strong and confident, and smile till that art school open house.

It's really hard to say. Since I have graduated I have; travelled to a few countries, I have spoken in front of hundreds of people, learned a new language, and changed all my goals and dreams around and upside down and back again, I've fallen in love, almost been married, lost a loved one, made a lot of mistakes, learned a lot, but in it all i've kept one constant. I've stayed true to who I am and what I believe. I guess I would say that things will come and go, and that just like seasons, there are seasons of life. But no matter what happens, where you go, and what you do, stay constant and don't lose yourself along the way. The path that i am about to endure may not make sense and will frusterate me a bit, but just to remember that life isn't about the end result its about the process. I would have to tell me that, I would fear telling me my mistakes I wouldn't be where I am today; not perfect but better than i was yesterday, to take life one day at a time.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would highly advise myself to focus more on studies than be so tied up in the drama of high school. I would tell myself that I deserve more in life than flipping burgers just to barely survive. Other advice I would give myself is to absorb the teachings and knowledge of those who push us to become more than just a high school graduate. I would advise myself to pour myself into scholarship applications in order to financially continue my education. I would tell myself to focus on the more important things that would help me survive in a world of high demand for educated people in order to have a decent paying job. I would tell myself that I could accomplish more in life with the right education. I am a fighter and I am stronger than all the things that would keep me from continuing my education. I will be able to say, "I did it!"

I f I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself: don't ever let someome tell you can't do something or that you aren't good enough. Remember there will always be someone that is going to smarter more qailified, gifted , but you cant let that keep you from trying and ultimately achieving your dreams. You can't fuffill your dreams if you don't go for them. You cant reget not goinng for something if you haven't even made an attempt to achieve what you want. Don't forget somethings aren't what they seem. Stuff in life happems for a reason, so try not to sweat the small stuff. Hindsight is 50/50. Most of al ltry to have fun. Remember the time shortly after graduating from high school and certainly the time during college is suposed to be the best years of your life--don't let those years slip by you.

I have often thought about the things I would change in my life if I could go back with the knowledge I have now. I was not oriented well. My parents spoke very little English, and I was the first to graduate high school. I honestly was discourage by my own father, telling me, "You dream to high." Now that I have made the transition and have grown up, lived and learned, I would tell myself to believe in myself and not let anyone tell me otherwise. I have learned that there are many ways to get financial help and that there are many options available and offered to someone seeking a higher education. It is a help I did not know existed growing up. Asking questions and seeking the right help will always direct the way. As a 33 year old man, I am still pursuing my dream. I have confidence and I know that at any age you can pursue your dreams.

If I could go back to senior year and give myself advice, one thing I would advise myself to do would be to look at the bogger picture. It is easy for me to live in the here and now and not always look ahead on what could come as well as where I want to be. Going through my senior year, I lived just trying to get thinfs done and get out. I didn't think much about what I wanted to do with my life, didn't have many goals in terms of where I wanted to be in the 5-7 years to come. I based a lot of my decsisons on what others wanted for me rather than spending time thinking, exploring and figuring out what I wanted for my own life. If i could go back I would advise myself to spend more time thinking through my life and not be in sure a hurry to get to the next stage with out having a plan or goals that I was striving to attain.

I would tell myself to get ready to spend money. Even though I am attending a community college, I still wasn't expecting books to be so expensive. I would also explain the work load that teachers usually give. Even though you have class for an hour and a half, twice a week usually, the outside work is a lot more than high school. There is more self learning, and if you do want good grades you have to read your textbook. As far as the social life, there isn't much of a difference. It was wierd, however, for me to have retired people in some of my classes. But for the most part, the students still acted like high schoolers. I would just encourage myself to focus on school, and to get the grades I need to be able to transfer to the university of my choice.

The words of wisdom I would share with my naive high school self would be to just keep going. You are already ahead of the game by graduating early, and that doesn't mean take a breather. That means hold your breath until the end of the tunnel. Steadily move foward with victory in sight. Even if your face turns a most impressive shade of deep violet red and you feel the tingle of little blood vessels starting to pop on your face, keep going no matter what it takes. Don't stop until you reach the end, see the light, and acheive your biggest goal! You can become the one to make your greatest dreams and wishes come true! Magic and fairtales are only in story books. Lastley, take pride and put your all in everything you do. I know you can do it!