Dickinson, ND
Dickinson State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Dickinson State University

JiYoung

Don’t only focus on yourself but connect with others. Most people in this generation are so focused on themselves searching for the materialistic things. That might be the cause of a corrupted chaotic world. Likewise, I was stressed when I only focused on my own benefit and success. Although I was solely pouring out all of my strength for myself, I was not happy but felt miserable. Being able to connect with others and at least try to be on others' shoe, there is nothing more valuable than that. Having a good study habbit, readingmany books, and memorizing vocaublaries are very important but connecting with others manipulates the direction of my life.

Christina

From about the time I was able to talk, people have been asking me what I want to do with my life. Thoughout my childhood and into adulthood, I gave them answers that I thought they'd want to hear: lawyer, pediatrician, nurse. The truth was that by the time I graduated from high school, I still didn't feel passionately enough about anything to make it into a career. I coasted through my first year of college barely attending classes. I assumed that at the end of four years, a degree would just materialize in my hands. Well, it didn't. At the age of twenty-nine, after ten years of working in a nursing home, (my temporary job as a CNA had turned into a full-fledged career that I felt trapped in), the importance of a college education finally sunk in. I dug in my heels and renewed my college career with a passion, earning straight A's my first semester back, and the following spring my first degrees, and AA and an AS. If I could tell my past self anything it would be this: Do the work. It will change your life.

The best thing about Dickinson State is that it offers classes collaboratively with Bismarck State College so that I can stay in Bismarck and earn my degree. I've lived in Bismarck for about five years and have an established career here, and have earned both my AA and AS through Bismarck State, so I love the fact that I can stay where I am and continue my educational goals.

I wish I had known how easy it was to become a collaborative student at Dickinson State. My advisor is very organized and has provided me with step-by-step, easy-to-follow instructions to line everything up for this fall. It really has been a flawless transition.

Antonette

Congratulations on making it this far. I just want to let you know, daddy will tell you; “You aren’t smart enough to go to college.” Regardless of all the hurtful words he says and the actions he will take against you have confidence in knowing, that he can’t dictate your present or your future. By him being your last living parent, you would think he would be more supportive in your future endeavors, but that’s not the case with him. You will later find out that daddy will treat you one way at home and another way in public. All in all, you will see how fake he is. Later in life, he will say, “I should have been more supportive in you going off to college”. So, in order to prove him wrong and to most importantly prove to yourself that you are smart no matter what he says, I am going to leave you with a few nuggets to hold on to. First, study hard, play less. Second, ask a lot of questions. Last, don’t fear the days ahead of you. Do those three things and you’ll be fine.

If only we can all go back in time and change the direction of our lives. Wisdom is such a powerful tool in our thinking process and the choices we make in life. The longer we live the more wisdom we attain . Did you ever sit down and talk to your grandparents about life ? You can learn from their life experiences and can probably get alittle bit of good advice to follow. The transition from high school to college can be a bit frightening. You are now at a crossroad and faced with choices. As a high school senior applying to various colleges ,I would recommend picking colleges due to size, settings and programs. Dont pick a college because the weather is warmer in that state, or your friend is attending there. Smaller colleges might be a better transition for someone who wants more one on one with the professors versus a larger university where most communication is done through email because the class is so large. Also tuition plays a major part in your decision, so do apply for financial aid and scholarships . In the end, the decision will be yours, so think carefully and choose the right fit.

Bradley

Be more careful when choosing classes. Don't let the advisor do the selecting for you. I would also have chosen my 4 year institution right away and selected my classes more selectively at the two year institution where I started. Also, I would counsel against taking out school loans when they weren't absolutely necessary. The loans can add up quickly.

I think the worst thing would be the parking issues. There is very little parking on campus and it is hard during times of inclement weather when you have to walk a long way in order to get to class.

I brag about the high quality and availability of classes. I work full time in addition to being a full time student, and it is important to me to be able to take classes around my busy schedule. It is also very important that I get a quality education for my money.

Kristi

You really need some kind of education beyond high school to make it in this world. Invest yourself now, take that chemistry class even though you don't need it for graduation now, it might make a difference later. Don't take that year off before you start college; it's too easy for life to get in the way and that year turns into 2, 5, or 10 years. If your not sure what you want to do, go anyway and start taking your generals and other classes that interest you; you will figure it out. School is so much easier when your young, before your married and have children and all the financial burdens that come with life. Make yourself and your future a priority now, don't wait until you have all the other responsibilities to realize whatever security you thought you had could be gone with one small life change that you have no control over. You have to have a back up plan. Prepare yourself now when you can experience college to the fullest and allow yourself to be a part and enjoy what the experience has to offer.

There is alot of support for students that don't fit the average profile. This is a very good thing because in todays world you need an education and there are alot of people out there, like myself, that are not at a point in there lives where school can be their primary focus. The support system really helps and it's nice to know that you don't have to do it alone.

I wish I had known that the program I'm attending requires four years to complete regardless how many transfer credits you come in with. Having all of your general education completed does not shorten the time it takes to obtain your degree, it's two years for an LPN and four years for an RN.

Margie

Although I never got the chance to reach the senior level in high school I'll assume that I was a senior back in 2009. If I could give my senior self advice about college I would let her know that all the talk of college being hard and challenging is just talk. College will only feel challenging if you let it be that way. I'd also let her know that there's nothing to worry about except for school. As long as you keep track of your classes, plan out your free time and concentrate on all your courses, college will feel just like high school just a little different. Being in college is your right of passage into adulthood so be a mature adult about everything you do, say and think. Do not worry about what people think of you because your priority in college is to achieve as a student and to better yourself for your own future not theirs. Be sure to take advantage of all the benefits provided for you and get involved at school to make your whole college experience worth it.

minelly

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior i would tell myself to work harder. To put in a little more work than what i was already putting in because i can always do better. Remind myself to start college right away. Unfortunetly i took some time off after i graduated high school and was working instead. I always feel like that was time wasted and i know i was smart enough to atleast have done both work and school. I would also say not to be intimidated by things people say or how difficult they make college work/life seem because anything is possible. I would prepare myself for tedious paper work and ask my counselour for all the advice i could get about getting started. Reassure myself that college has made me feel a more positive and productive person in a long time. Everything will be fine because i'm a very social, hard working and smart young woman. I just have to believe in myself.

What is unique about my school compared to other schools I considered is that my school has a great student service service. The SSS program is outstanding, they really care about the students that they help out and try their best to help them with their problems. I would consider this the best thing about Dickinson State University and their tutoring center. A student can get one on one time with a tutor to help them in any subject as many times a week for up to an hour long.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior and knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, the advice I would give myself would be to work even harder and not to slack of that last semester. Messing around my second semester was a huge mistake, I ended up doing bad in my algebra two class which I know I could have done a lot better if I worked at it. I could have pulled all my other class's grades up too instead of just being happy with B or a C.

What I consider the worst thing about Dickinson State University is the weather. The snow fall will probably be the hardest thing for me to deal with other than that, Dickinson State University is great.

Kerry

Our school is a great school for their education program. Students come from all around to get their teaching degrees in Dickinson, North Dakota. The whole town supports the college and the activities. The opportunities are endless.

Stick with college and earn your degree. Even if you choose to have kids, keep in school at least one class at a time. That way I wouldn't have been so afraid to go back to school to finish my degree. Learn great study habits, because you will need them!

It is in a small town that doesn't have a lot for college kids to do. However, the town is very family oriented. If you have children, there are loads of activities for them to do and cost effective ways to do them.

Dickinson State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.