D'Youville College

« See more reviews of D'Youville College

I have certainly been blessed when I say I have gotten the most out of my college experience thus far. For example, not only have I excelled academically, but also physically in sports. First, my college has enabled me to have the experience of very small class sizes. For this reason, I have been fortunate enough to talk one-on-one with my professors both in class and outside the classroom. The class sizes at my college never exceed 30 students in the health professions. Not only that, but class discussion occurs everyday, just as it had in high school. Thanks to these class experiences, I am proud to say I have achieved a 4.0 GPA for my fall semester. Further on, I have also participated on the Varsity Tennis and Crew teams, which had allowed me to create stronger bonds with students who have the same interests as I. As I have excelled at both sports, I have also excelled socially with other students. D'Youville College has been valuable to attend for numerous reasons. For example, not only have I been able to achieve an amazing GPA, but also an amazing lifestyle as a growing adult.

Senior year of high school, i rembember i had applied to around seven schools, gotten all of my acceptance letters back, but i still had no idea where i wanted to go. I am a very athletic person, and of course applied to schools that had the sports that i played, and that had good teams as well. My parents did research and encouraged me to apply to schools that were known for their academics. The advice i would give to parents and students about finding the right college is quite simple; you need to find the college that has similar values to your own. My school values academics over sports, while other schools seemed to be equally balenced, or stress atheletics more. In addition i think it is important to consider the size of the school and its classes, and base your descision on your preferences. As for making the most out of your college experience i would definately say to get invovled with clubs, activites, and sports (if they are your type of thing), otherwise college is going to be really boring outside of the classroom! Not to mention, getting involved is how you meet new people!

When making a choice about a college, the student should reflect about what learning style is best for them and find a college that will suit the needs of the student, regardless of financial situation. For example, if they feel they can learn best with a large group of people and to remain unnoticed, then a large university may suit them. Or if the student learns best with more one-on-one attention or gets distracted easily, then perhaps a private college that offers small classes will be the better choice. It's important also for the parents not to pressure students with making a decision about what college to attend. Parents should try not to impose what they as parents think is best for the student, but should listen and understand what the needs of the student are. If the student can't have their own say about what college to attend, they may be forced into a situation that may make them unhappy or do poorly. Lastly, the student should look for a place where they will fit in and feel comfortable at. Finding a college that will cater to the student's needs is of upmost importance!

Throughout my college experience I struggled with borderline depression and demonstrated several self-damaging actions. It was only through the friends that I've met at D'Youville College that I was able to deal with my harsh feelings about myself and society and realise that I am in fact a real person with real emotions. The values that society has placed on the generations of today are at risk of tearing our country and the fabric of our beliefs apart. College has taught me that an intellect is someone that can observe both sides of any single situation, formulate their own opinion, but still respect the beliefs and opinions of others, even though they may be polar opposites. I've learned that people will always be people and have a greater concerned for themselves than for others. Why not? If I'm to become an adult in this country, I shouldn't be sheltered and protected from the poison that the world can throw at me, I should be constantly exposed to it, so that at some point in the future I will be immune to the stupidity and idiocracy of people. Love who you are, that's valuable.

Difficulties arise almost everywhere in a person's life and college is no different. The thing about college though is that you have the power to change your difficulties into oppourtunities that work to your advantage. There are many situations you may not be prepared for in college but you also learn in these situations to think and act on your feet while trusting your best judgement. When you are considering the transition to college, don't let worry control your life, instead stay focused on the practical things that matter most to you. Making sure that your academic, financial and social needs will be satisfied are all important items to keep in mind. When you eventually arrive at college, it will be helpful to begin fostering immediately all sorts of connections with your new home and the people associated with it. This is the place where you will continue to be shaped into the person you are meant to be and you want to get to know it well! Know that in the end things will work out, this moment is the only one you have to work with and what you do with it is what really matters.

The most important thing that I would tell myself before entering college would be that there will be many distractions, including choices and situations that you have never encountered before. While there will be a time and a place to allow these distractions to take hold, and experience many of the new things that college life has to offer, the major point is to keep your eye on the prize. You are going to college for a reason, to better yourself and hopefully your quality of life, and spending a good deal of money for the education you are receiving. Make sure you take advantage of that education by going to classes, asking sound questions, getting to know your professors where possible, and utilizing all of the tools and services the college provides in order to help you to succeed in getting your degree and reaching your goals. After all, you are paying for them, make sure you are getting the most for your money. And finally, develop a network of fellow students in your major, and join the campus student association that is involved with your major and future profession.

My college experience has been extremely valuable to me because it has completely changed my future plans. All my life I never thought I would go to college; the idea never interested me. My parents never went and I saw no reason to do so myself. I decided to attend community college as a sort of test and so I could have at least some post-secondary education. My experience at my community college has been amazing and has inspired me to continue my education further at a four year university. I was able to explore different subjects that interested me and was encouraged to develop more ambitious goals for the future. I also got involved in my school and in my community through Phi Theta Kappa and various volunteer activities. My grades have also taken a complete turn around from high school as I now have almost straight A's and I am really excited for what my future holds. My college experience has been wonderful and has really changed my aspirations for the future; I now hope to not only complete my undergraduate education, but possibly post graduate education as well!

When searching for the right college, both the parents and students should feel comfortable with the college atmosphere. Make sure to visit as many schools as possible and keep your options open! When you go to visit a school be open to new ideas and really know what will help you succeed during your college experience. When you first arrive at the campus you are looking at, you should feel comfortable right away and feel welcomed. If you dont get a good vibe, then that school is not for you. The environment should feel friendly and not fake. Faculty members and the students that are helping you should come off as a peer and not as if they are selling the school to you. College is a big step and should be discussed amongst friends and family. You may not know exactly what you want to do the first day of school and may even change your mind, but that's ok! What you choose to do in college is your choice, no one elses. Make sure to always have free time to relax and do fun activities other than study! College is a great opportunity, choose wisely!

The list of advice I could give my past self concerning my college transition is endless. There is nothing like the college experience. The only way I can describe it is that it's extremely different, but a good different. I guess the best advice I would give my high school self would be to stand up for what I believe. I like to think that I'm a genuinely nice person; it's rare I don't get along with someone. However, I will say that I have the tendency to allow others to take advantage of me. Maybe not so much now, but definitely when I entered college last fall. Learning to stand up for myself was probably the hardest thing I've learned this year (even harder than Anatomy & Physiology!) and although I fought it for a long time, I eventually did it, and boy did it feel good. That was the moment I realized that I could stand up for myself and still be a good person, only stronger. So past self, you will grow as an individual to fight for your happiness. It happens, so don't resist it, because it's a beautiful thing.

My college experience at DYC has been an eye opener for me. Being in college is a huge step up from high school and I love the pressure and hard work that has to be put in, especially when you see your hard work being paid off with a high GPA. D'Youville College is nothing like any other college that I know. It has small sized classes and at DYC, you aren't just a face in the crowd, you are somebody. The teachers are friendly and willing to help their students. As a student, I am recognized by my professors and can have a casual conversation about anything with them. But the point is, is that you will always see professors talking with their students and actually getting to know them. Whereas any other college like UB, you are like a fish in the big, deep blue sea. My experience at DYC has further enhanced my drive and dedication to work harder to achieve my goals and get more involved with on and off campus activities. D'Youville College is a great school to go to because of the opportunities you are given to better your college experience.