D'Youville College

« See more reviews of D'Youville College

The college experience is something truly unique; it's like no other adventure I have embarked on. Looking at attending college as an experience has allowed me to soak up more the unique atmosphere found at my college. Walking to the other buildings, working in the study rooms being tutored and tutoring, sitting at lunch with friends, and working with everyone in the school's cafeteria is similar to high school but it's a completely different level. At college, I have extended my wings and I feel I have found my own niche that I couldn't find in high school. I have so many supporting friends who impart wisdom from their experiences to me, making me feel that I have awakened to a new world. I have learned new skills from being around my new friends as well as from working in the cafeteria where I not only talk to the students but also develop bonds with my coworkers. Bonds build the world as they develop and one grows when the world is opened to them; that's exactly what has happened to me - my world has expanded and I am a much better person for it.

My college experience has been one to remember. At first it was scary, it was hard because the workload was new and definitely not something I was ready for. I realized, after a few weeks went by that it was more about planning my day and keeping up with my work. D'Youville taught me how to be a well rounded and organized individual and this technique has helped me alot in my day to day life. I have also learned to take my goals and push forward to more than I thought I was capable of. I was able to experience the amazing support group of Faculty members that helped me along the way to be a more successful student. That is a great experience to have when as a student, no matter how pressured you are there are people who care about your success and will help you to achieve your dreams. Through this diffcult period, I believe D'Youville has lived up to its name and is always willing to help its students to do better and push forth to achieve more than they thought possible. Through my experience, I made a positive decision in attending DYC.

At this point I have only been attending college for two years but I can already tell it has been a beneficial experience. I have not only learned new academic information but also the need to prioritize my life and take responsibility. Being in college you are suddenly given much more freedom than previously had, it definatly forces you to grow up and take control of your own actions. College has taught me how to make the transition from a high school teenager to an adult working toward future goals. The amount of work required to be completely successful in college is far more that what was expected in high school, the pressure and stress of it all definatly has been difficult to deal with. However without these challenges I may not have truly understood the amount of effort and perserverance it takes to achieve your goals. It is easy to give up and say that things are too difficult but it takes a lot more to do the responsibile act and put in more effort, without my college experience thusfar I would not have learned this valuable life lesson.

So far my college experience has been unforgettable. Not only have I met so many incredible people but I have already learned an abundance of information. I am in the Physician Assistant program at my college and every day of classes reinforces why I have chosen this major. I know 100% that this is what I want to do with the rest of my life and D'youville College has something to do with that. D'youville is a private school with small classes that have helped immensely because that is the best learning atmosphere for me. My professors are easily accessible and have no problem addressing any of my questions and concerns. I am also able to focus much more than if there were several more students in the classroom. My first semester would have been no where near this successful if this were not the case. I am looking forward to the rest of my college career and then moving on to putting my knowledge to work when I become a Physician Assistant. I can't even imagine how my college experience could get any better but I am excited to find out.

Attending college has proven to be quite challenging, and rewarding at the same time. As a mother of two small children, entering the college arena has forced me to reevaluate what is important in life. I have found that the rigors of being a student such as studying, homework, writing papers, and late nights at school have put my life in perspective. Obtaining an education has always been important to me. I know that unless I have a firm knowledge and good educational background I cannot succeed in the field of study I have chosen. Likewise, I have learned that my love of learning has been instilled in my children. They have experienced my excitement when I understand a new concept. They have felt my disappointment when I did not meet my expectations. They have enjoyed our times together reading and discussing topics discussed in school. My experience thus far in college has proven to be a refiner’s fire for my little family. We have grown closer, enjoying every minute of life, as we continually realize how much richer it has become.

The first thing I will ask myself is if I am ready for college and by that, I would set up a short and long term goals for myself. But the number one most important advice for me is to always talk to my advisor about my program and classes before and at the end of each semester because every school are different and some requires the students to take an entrance exam first. Moreover, I would advise myself to stay update with the changes going on in my school especially when it comes to my education and making sure I am taking the right amount of classes in regards to financial aids. And I would have talk myself into taking the freshmen seminar class during the summer after my senior year in high school because I believe do it would have better prepare me for college than I would have expected. Although I cannot go back to better advice myself which would have been great but something I learn along the way is that college is not a place you can just rush into but rather an education you have to better prepare yourself for when you are ready.

Ultimately I do not believe it is the parents choice for finding the right college for their child. As for the child, which I was at one time, I would advise: "Do not take advice from the person(s) on the outside, but from the person on the inside." Nobody knows your education skills, cababilities, and capacity better than yourself. If you are sure in yourself, then you are more than capable of finding the school that will inspire you and teach you to be the career person you want to be...and will be. The right college will be able to offer you the techniques and environment that are properly fit to your needs. You, not a college advisor, or highschool advisor, or even a parent know you better than yourself. There will be challenges, you may not make the right decision first, but ultimately you will get to know yourself far better than you imagine and "fall into place." College at first is an awkward time, you are making your own decisions, but I assure you, you will choose the right path and become just who you want to be.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have one very important message for myself. I would tell myself to live more fully by being open to opportunities that come my way. Coming from a small town with little diversity, I was very shy growing up and was not exposed to different cultures. Today however, I am very fortunate to attend D'Youville College and live in the diverse city of Buffalo. I have been exposed to so many different ideas and ways of life, and they are all so beautiful to me. Most importantly, I have learned that there are more beliefs in the world besides mine. Therefore, there is more than one way to solve a given problem. Being open to different beliefs and opinions did not always come easy for me. It would have been helpful if I could have given myself such advice. Today, I am a more open person in general which has made me a more understanding person, who will be able to better care for my patients when I graduate as a nurse and later become a Family Nurse Practitioner.

I have only been in college for three semesters, but I think I would have plenty to say if I could talk to myself as a high school senior. I would initially tell myself to enjoy and cherish the rest of high school, but know that college is indeed an exciting experience. I would also tell myself to make sure I order my books on time, and to study more for that first Anatomy lab practical. Beyond these little pieces of advice, I would tell myself to not let anything hold me back. I would give the advice to be more outgoing, in every aspect of college life. I would tell myself that while picking the right college is very important, a college experience is less about which school you attend and more about what you put into the experience. I would tell myself that being a commuter can make the transition to college life a little difficult. However, it would definitely help to get more involved on campus, join more clubs, and go to more campus events, especially during the first year. I would say that your experience is what you make of it.

Upon enrolling in college, students seldom seem to realize that college can very well be a part of the best years of their lives. This is true for me. Growing up in a lower class neighborhood, the harsh realities of the world were clear to me from an early age. I knew that making something of my future meant doing something positive with myself. This meant breaking the mold I, as a young Hispanic male, have been placed in. College has instilled in me values that I could only have learned through experiences in the classroom and with my peers. I was forced to learn to keep up with many new responsibilities living on my own. As cliche as it is to admit it, attending college has helped me grow up. It has helped me appreciate everyone that made an effort to get me where I am now. Wanting to be that extra push for other children, I dedicated my extra time to coaching little league baseball. Its the least I can do to give back to a community that has helped me push me to my limits; something I will always continue to do throughout my life.