East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania

« See more reviews of East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania

Attending college has rekindled my quest for learning and has expanded my understanding of others. Besides academic enrichment, I have learned patience and improved my stewardship. Camaraderie has evolved into a sincere desire to help fellow classmates, tempering my competitive nature and exposing the value of sharing. College has also highlighted the importance of time management, self-motivation, and goal setting. The significance of these skills will extend beyond academia and serve as the foundation on which to build a strong career. Volunteerism through the service-learning component of school has broadened my exposure to the needs of my community. It has underscored the meaning of giving back, as well as reminding me of the importance of humility and service to others. I had always considered college as an unattainable goal and ultimate privilege. My greatest lesson has been one of perseverance, allowing me to realize this lifelong dream. The collective value of my college experience will continue to transcend into all aspects of my life. It will forever be the foundation that defines me as a better student, citizen, and wife.

The college experience is about finding out who you are as a person, and who you want to be going forward. As academics play a huge part in your future and securing a great job, there are many other factors that should be considered as well when choosing a college. A school that challenges you academically will open your mind and introduce you to new areas of study, introducing a new array of interests that you can explore outside of school. The social and physical landscapes also play a huge role in your happiness while exploring your inner self at college. You must choose a school with a campus whose layout you can appreciate, and whose location allows you to engage in activities you find mentally and physically stimulating, whether that be professional sports games, hiking, city exploring, or art and theatre. The campus must also have social clubs that you would be interested in. It is also important that the school must be somewhere you would feel comfortable, including the choice of housing, dining, and study lounges. It is most important that you choose a school where you feel you can be your self, but leaves room for growth.

I attended ESU as a cross country and track and field athlete, and ahealth and physical education major. As an athlete we had practice six days a week, and two of those days we practiced twice during the day. If school was closed due to snow, or it was finial exams week we practiced. This work ethic taught me how to not to quit, and there are not excuses for not completing a task. Through out my life after college I stick to my commitments, and make no excuses to not complete obligations through out my life. As a health and physical education major, ESU taught me to be creative, and being accounted for student outcomes in learning. As a special education graduate student, ESU has prepared me to create learning strategies to help students and individuals with special needs. Last and most important piece I have taken away from ESU was how to stay healthy now and through out the future. ESU has a new recreation center for students. There were professors to help students with nutrition, body image, and injuries. Strategies were also provided to motivated student to be healthy now and in the future.

First, figure out if they would like to go to a big college or a small one... one can figure that out by comparing the size of their school or town, and determining if they're happy with the population or if they wish it was smaller or bigger. Next would have to be using the career resources at their high school to at least get an idea on what they'd like to do as a career, and finding colleges that support and focus on similar degrees. Upon selecting a variety of colleges, the parents and students should go and take a tour of the colleges they are interested in, and take a look at what the campus does to enhance one's chances of getting a job after college, be it holding job fairs or requiring internships: that eliminates some possibility of not getting a job in your field after college. Finally, they should also talk to the college students currently enrolled... but not just the 'tour guides' that assist them when they go. While they are very helpful, usually a specific type of student will be a tour guide, and may not represent the college population.

College is very important in almost every aspect of life as a young adult. The experience teaches a person qualities that I think every teenager or young adult should experience. Although I have only completed one full semester of college as a freshman, I have learned more in the last semester than any semester of high school. I have learned what it fully means to be responsible, live on your own, use your time managing skills wisely, how to socially interact with others and make friends, and overall learning what is more important and worth your time and thoughts. College is so incredibly valuable to attend for several reasons. The first reason is so that you can learn and use all of these qualities for a more rewarding lifestyle and learn how to interact with our environment and get the most out of it. The second reason college is valuable to attend is because of our current society and how much harder it is to get a job now than it was many years ago. A college education is important to furthur your career and live a more successful, fufilling life.

Attending college isn?t an experience that should be taken lightly. A student needs to be sure that when they attend that it?s at when and where it feels right. With the amount of time and dedication that a student needs to put into it, one should be sure that it?s what they want to do at that time. I unfortunately just had to say goodbye to my roommate of two and a half years because she wasn?t ready for college and therefore didn?t take her grades seriously. It's a serious decision. College is seen as the ?assumed? placement after high school, but I?ve learned that it isn?t for everyone. Parents shouldn?t force their children to go to college straight out of high school if they?re not ready. The best thing a parent can do is support their children in their decisions as well as provide guidance and encouragement through it all. Students who attend college should take it for everything it offers, because it?s an experience that not everyone gets a chance at. Students should work hard, but definitely remember to have fun! It?s an unforgettable experience.

I would give anything to be able to actually go back in time and give myself this advice. I would stress the importance of studying and going to class. Being away from home you get your freedom from parents and get to do whatever you please but at the same time you need to be mature and realize that your family is paying a lot of money that they dont really have to send you to college. Everybody is making a big sacrifice for you and you should do whatever you need to to make them proud. There will be times where the situation you are put in is difficult but you need to do the right thing. There will be many temptations but you most overcome them. School and getting the grades is the most important aspect of your time in college. If you succeed in the classroom doors will open for you, if you dont opportunities will disappear. Just know that if you be yourself and work to the best or your ability you will be successful. Friends will come and go but you just need to be yourself and work hard to make everyone proud.

Follow your heart. I went the practical route and went to school in my hometown where I was able to pay less for school by staying at home along with other things. I had a lot of benefits to this but I feel like I grew up too fast. I am completely responsible for my finances and everything at home, so I feel like I never got to enjoy college life. I love everything that I do, but I feel like I never allowed myself to just live for the moment and see where life could really take me. I know I would have had several opportunities in other schools that I will never have here and again, I love every experience I have been fortunate enough to have but I truly feel like there is more out there that I have missed out on. So follow your heart, even if being practical makes more sense, just realize that money comes and goes but your education only has these few moments to mold you. So make the absolute most of it while you can and deal with practicality when the time is right, cherish this young life while you can.

Every other day I wish I was given the opportunity to go back in time with the knowledge that I know now and change what I did in order to have a better college as well as life experience today. In high school I did very well, however my freshman year I was not aware of certain things that would benefit me in the long run. For example I was advised to take the minimum about of credits as a freshman, not knowing that I could take more and was able to take more because I have a lot of spare time on my hands. Also I was not advised to drop courses that I was not doing well in, with harmed my GPA in the long run. Another example would be me taking my course work more seriously. High school is a totally different environment compared to college. In high school you are able to goof around and still get good grades, not in college. My freshman year I did not goof-off but I did not put my heart and soul in courses. I learned afterwards that professors will not pass you just because you show up everyday.

If I was to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior there is so much that I would say to prepare myself for the college life. The first thing i would tell myself is to get into good study habits because when you don't have good study habits once college starts it will be very hard to keep up. The second thing i would tell myself is to become more organized. College is more stressful than you would think when your a high school senior. When your organized it helps you focus more, get assignments done on time, and helps to keep a balance between the academic and social life. The last thing I would tell myself is to make sure I set my goals, and not let anything get in the way of achieveing it. When most people start college they get carried away and let unimportant things take over their academics, but if you have a set goal in your mind and know what you want you will definetly succeed. I would tell myself that being successful and achieving my goals is my main priority.