Eastern Kentucky University

« See more reviews of Eastern Kentucky University

It can be very overwelming when it comes time to start thinking about your future. What do you want to become? what do you want to do with yourlife. I found that It was easier to pick a college that was suited towards what I wanted to to with my education. If you want to become a nurse, it may be a good idea to look into universitys or colleges that have well known nursing porgrams. You also have to keep in mind how far away from your family you are willing to go. My first year of college I was a little over 3 hours from my family. I liked the independance, but I wanted to see my family more. Most importantly, when you are choosing your school, pick the one that will make you happy. Don't choose your school because you have a boyfriend/girlfriend and they are going to that school. Don't let your parents push you into a decision. You should choose the school that you like, and that you feel comfrotable at. After all, it will be your home for at least the next 4 years.

This is my second attempt at getting my bachelor's degree. The first time around i attended a different college, although a fun school socially, i did not feel as though i was getting what i needed academically from my old school. I took a couple of years off and am now giving it another shot at Eastern Kentucky University. I know this time around that attending school is not just for meeting friends but to help further your future. So at my current school I am more dedicated to my work because i know if i want to be successfull in the future i must accomplish my goal of getting a college degree. It has been very valuable for me to attend because it is allowing me to see that i can get over obstacles and still accomplish what i know i need to do, which is to graduate from college. I feel as though i am learning more than ever and it really makes me feel good as a person knowing that i am capable of doing so. And being able to complete such a task, means everything to me.

Dear younger Ceanna, In a few years you will be taking a new step to brighter and wider oppurtunities, but don't be scared because these oppurtunities are going to change your life and make you into one strong, wonderful individual. A little advice before you take this next step though, don't think you always have to be perfect. Perfection is not always the best route because as long as your still trying and enjoying life you will be proud. Going into college is stressful and sometimes you just need to take a step back and look at all you have been blessed with and remember there is so much life has to offer. Enjoy college and make new experiences. Remember those that surround you because these are your true friends that will possibly be in your life forever. Love like there is no tommorrow because you may not get this experience again. College is your way of expanding and making your dreams come true so don't be afraid. Make everything count! Love, An older you.

Being in Advanced Classes does not matter as much as you would think. At college, people don't care about your skin color, they don't care about your sexual orientation, they do care about each other. Living in the residence halls and going to programs that your Resident Assistant has for you, will allow you to meet so many new people, all with different stories to tell. Study like you should, have a social life, and live every possible minute to its fullest. Having friends and a social life is very important, these people are the ones that support you when family is not around. These are the best years of your life, they really are. You have the friends that you want, people are at the maturity levels that you need, and you are becoming more and more independant. Get involved on campus, because having friends and doing things with them is one of the biggest stress reliefs. Get excited about moving on because, in college, you have everything you have ever wanted.

I would tell myself to be more outgoing. Moving on is never a trouble-free process, but it's important to remember that it's okay if you make a mistake. It's crucial that you realize it doesn't matter if someone doesn't like you, or that you made yourself look like a complete idiot on the first day of class--what really makes people admire you isn't your perfections, but how well you deal with your flaws. If you trip down a flight of stairs in front of 100s of your classmates, so what? Of course it's embarassing, but just get up and laugh it off. I've always been a semi-chronic worrier--whether it's about grades, friends, family, or being on time to class. When I make a B on a Calculus quiz or have a fight with my parents, it's not the end of the world; sometimes it might feel like it, but life has a strange way of working itself out. People always tried to tell me those things when I was in high school and I'm finally realizing that they were right.

Don't pack too much stuff, or assume that your random-assignment roomie will be the devil in disguise. Remember there are always people around to help, just ask someone. Go to class, unless you can't move or are infectious, and do your homework and research ahead of time. Don't worry if you decide to change your major, you've got a while, do some gen. ed. classes and try out a couple of introductory major courses your first few semesters. Make new friends, but don't forget the friends from home who came to your school. Talk to strangers - or at least, the ones in your classes, and in your dorm, and in whatever organization you may want to join, don't get kidnapped - haha. Take a few risks, never forget to have fun every once in a while, and don't forget to buy milk! (Seriously, you'll want to stay in your room and eat cereal rather than going to the dining hall or out to eat sometimes, trust me.) ...and, above everything else, don't stress!

Some advice I would give to parents and their students when trying to pick the right college is to always remember that the size of the school does matter. When I picked my school it wasn't too big and not too small, so that gave me the at ease-at-home feel, which I absolutely loved. Pick a school that when you are walking on campus you run into people that you have met along the way, but run into someone new, which could in the end be a friend that you keep for a lifetime. Making the most of the college experience depends on the school, the friends you meet along the journey, and the activities you become involved in. Without the people that I have met and without the school that I have chosen I would not have gotten the ultimate college experience that EKU has given me and the wonderful journey that I have been on with the most unique and wonderful friends that I will always keep and remember because of the memories we have made.

After two years of college and about to transfer out of community college, I have learned a lot about myself and life. In high school I was convinced that everyone should go away to school, that community college would not give you the same education or experience you would get going away. However, going to a community college was actually the best choice I ever made. Getting a good education and maybe even a better one that allowed me to stay home, work part-time and get a promotion. My friends have debt that has only half accumulated; I was able to keep my debt minimal before going to a 4-year school. Community college allowed the transition from high school to college easier and more enjoyable. My advice to my high school self would be not to be in such a rush to grow up and leave. That community college is not a bad place to start but the smart place. Sometimes it is better to enjoy life and the possibilities that await you.

If I were to go back in time and be able to give myself advice, I would tell myself to not be afraid. As a highschool student, I was very fearful of the unknown, as many students are at that time. I was afraid of not succeeding, not getting my dream job, I always wanted to please everyone and be the best at everything I did. I soon realized that this was not a realistic expectation and I was only human. Not succeeding at something didn't mean I was a failure, it just meant I had to try something different to succeed. I couldn't have a fear of what people thought about me because not everyone is going to be a positive influence on me and realize my dreams. So, in addition to having no fear, I would tell myself to "dream bigger." Take chances. Go against the flow. Do what I felt was in my heart, even if others disagreed with me. Live like today is the last day that I had on earth, be wise, and take risks.

By the time I actually started college I had already knocked out six credit hours towards my degree. I took class at the Eastern Kentucky University extension in Corbin, Kentucky close to where my high school was. I am currently a freshman working towards my Bachelors in Nursing. From my college experience so far I have gained a sense of accomplishment. After each test and paper I feel like I am getting a step closer to my goal. I have also gained knowledge that I can use in my everyday life and towards my part time job as a secretary in a health care facility. It has been very valuable for me to attend college because of the opportunity to gain resources during my time spent in college. The more connects I collect during my college career, the more options I will have when I begin my job search. Once I start my career having a college degree could provide me with greater promotion opportunity.