Eastern Kentucky University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Eastern Kentucky University

Dakota

I do not like this school. I transferred here from an excellent college due to financial reasons, and the best part about Eastern is my ability to work on research projects throughout the semester, which is important as a future biologist. The party scene is excessive, and I do not like to party. It's difficult to be anywhere on or near campus on the weekends to study because of the noise. The majority of the students aren't here to learn but to get through and "earn" a degree. They just want to party. It's difficult to earn the degree anyway, considering all the work is just busywork that does not aid in understanding. I love to learn, but that just doesn't happen here. It's honestly a waste of my time. Also, do not take chemistry courses here. The department is lacking in decent professors. I taught myself organic chemistry because my professor, who is in his 70's and has "retired" multiple times but somehow keeps getting rehired, essentially just drew reactions on the board and said "this is obviously [whatever we were talking about]" without explaining what it was or why it was obvious. Lastly, even though the professors might have office hours, you can't expect them to be there on time or be helpful. I've had some professors that are so wrapped up with their personal lives that when I attempted to ask questions, they either shrugged it off or gave me meaningless answers. The only reason I came to this school is because it is cheap. That's it. I've never had such an incompetent educational experience.

Rina

EKU is a very small, community-like campus. There are many opportunities for those who are willing to be involved in student organizations. There are various events held through out the semester, and I highly encouraged for those who have open mind to meet new people on campus. Definitely be involved! Join any student organization that may fit your interest.

Kendra

I love EKU. The class sizes are small, professors are kind and ready to help you. I really enjoy being a student at EKU. Also, the campus is absolutely beautiful. The only complaint that I have is about the parking at Eastern Kentucky University. There are not enough spots for all the students.

Haley

I have gone to eastern for about a year now. I really enjoy the atmosphere. I have had a few problems with housing, but more specifically the RHC. The Maintenance have been wonderful. I love the library, DSP is where it is at. There is always something to do.

Rebecca

Right now there is a lot of construction occurring because many of the buildings have been here since the late 1800s and they're on their last leg (or beam). However, even though we all complain about it everyone knows that the construction is necessary and when it is all over EKU will be reborn.

Jeannetta

I love Eastern Kentucky University! The campus is absolutely beautiful, where flowers abound and neatly adorned landscapes are the norm. We are growing, with a new wellness and recreation building being built at the moment. Safety is a top priority on campus and I feel completely safe. The instructors are very knowledgeable in their fields of study and are very approachable. I’m completely satisfied and happy to attend this beautiful campus.

Faith

Eastern Kentucky University is a great, Friendly environment for incoming students. there is always someone available when needing to talk about needs or even about ideas. Easterns campus is normally safe but students still let others know where they are going by either telling them or leaving a note on the dorm door

Anna

As a second-semester freshman at EKU, I can honestly say it already feels like home. Even on move-in day, everyone was extremely helpful and welcoming, and I have yet to have a bad experience on campus. I've already made a ton of friends and joined a few clubs, and there is no lack of things to do on campus. Overall, I'm extremely thankful I chose EKU as my college. Go Kerns!

Meghan

I love it here! Everyone is so helpful and pushes to have you at your best! There are so many nice people around campus that are friendly and helpful. The professors are always offering help or helping with a problem, and it isn't hard to get into contact with them. Problems are addressed quickly. I love it, so much nicer than other campuses I've been to.

I love EKU because it's not exactly a small campus, but it still gives that small town feel. For the most part, I've had professors and teachers really help me exceed in life. I've heard a lot of opinions that the advisors don't care about their education, but I'm very grateful for mine. He truly wants me to succeed and help me along the way. For the most part, everyone wants to see the students excel in school and life.

Meredith

EKU manages to balance its state university size with a small college atmosphere. It's a generally friendly place and class sizes are small compared to other local state schools. However, the campus is rough. Partying and drug use is a huge part of the social scene. Many of the dorms are grimey and smelly and some are located on the outskirts of campus. The cafeteria food has a few good options, but other sections (for example, the salad bar) are really bad.

Faith

Eastern Kentucky University is a great school. The campus is big enough, but not huge. Most classes are challenging, which pay off in the end for students. Overall, the professors are caring and ready to help whenever they are needed. I have loved my time spent at EKU.

La'Tia

I need to get back there. I hope to be back by fall 2017. But during m time there I can definitely say I was proud of my choice in a university. Some dorms could use some makeovers but otherwise it's a lovely school with amazing professors.

Katherine

I enjoy the atmosphere as well as the experiences I've had in class so far. My biggest complaint is the vast number of construction projects the university has suddenly decided to take on. Not only have these projects raised the costs of tuition, housing, and meal plans, but they have temporarily turned a large portion of our campus into a pile of dirt.

Jean

While Eastern Kentucky University does have its faults, overall, it is a really good school. The faculty care about your education and aspirations. They put forth their best effort to help you in any way they can, whether it be for class or for your future career. In my case, as a biology student, many professors offer internships and experience within the biology field. Aside from professors, the actual classes are not that bad either. If you show up to class, take notes, and study your notes, you will pass. On the down side of EKU, it is a suitcase college (where most the students commute to school), so the school spirit and weekends are dull. However, if you join Greek life or get involved on campus it does lessen the painful boredom one faces on the weekends. Another downfall to EKU that has been driving everyone nuts is the parking! As a suitcase college you would expect us to have plenty of parking for commuters and residents, but unfortunately during the stress of construction of new buildings no one thought about where everyone was going to park. EKU sold more parking passes than they have parking places so everyone struggles to find parking on campus. Granted EKU’s parking is not as bad as other larger schools, it is still frustrating for both students and faculty to grasp the incompetence of some of the decisions made by the board and president of the school. Alas leading to my main dissatisfaction with the school: the decisions made by the board and president. There is a lot to complain about here, but first let me say that not all of the decisions made by these people are terrible and I do see their view on others. I just wish that they would not think of college as a business, but more so as an opportunity to educate the future generations of this world. I imagine this is a problem for most colleges, but it is just mind blowing comparing the caring nature of the faculty to the upper workings of the leaders of the school. That said, I do love the school, the faculty is beyond wonderful, the students are ambitious, and the pathway to getting your education is not a difficult one. Overall, I am glad I ended up here and would recommend Eastern Kentucky University to other students wanting to pursue a degree.

Eastern Kentucky University was not my first option when choosing a university, but it was the most convenient option for me. While it was not my top option then, it has become a top contender for me now. I enjoy going to school every day . I have gained lifelong friends, a strong network of individuals, and a high-quality education. Now that I attend EKU, I wouldn't rather go anywhere else. They offer a large variety of degree programs and certificates. EKU offers some programs that no other college in Kentucky offer. There are tons of extra-curricular activities available for you to choose from. I would recommend Eastern Kentucky University to anyone! Go Colonels!

Lindsey

It is a very friendly, safe, and welcoming school. Everyone wants to be each other's friend. The professors are very nice and accommodating. The resources here are out of this world and you can find any kind of help that you may possibly need. The majors to choose from here are vast and interesting.

Amber

I truly love it here at EKU. I haven't had any particularly awful experiences. The campus itself is beautiful. The class sizes are small, and the professors like to get to know everyone. It's a great school and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a college to attend. The only downfall is its' reputation as a party school. However, if you go to any college looking for a party, you'll find one. I am a freshman and have only ever been invited to two. I have no interest in parties, and they are easy to avoid.

Andrea

Eastern Kentucky University is a very welcoming place. I feel as if I am included in everything, from the classroom to the campus itself. Not only do professors and administrators care about the well-being of the students, other students feel the need to reach out and make you feel at home.

Kiarra

They are so very cool! I would defiantly go here if I have the chance. Teachers and students are wonderful. Everything here is great. Love the maroon color. Total plus. Easy to get around. Good place to get around an d do stuff. Love the sports, good games.

Overall my experience at EKU is positive. The campus is beautiful, with accessible green spaces. Professors are willing to help you if you need it. I wish there were more options for General Studies majors. We are updated everyday about events happening on campus, which is helpful.

Jordan

It has been my dream school since I was 5 years old and now I'm a first year! I wouldn't change anything about it! The student to teacher ratio is perfect, the size of campus is an easy 10-15 minute walk and the selection of extra curricular activities as well as the option to create new ones is endless!

Robert

It's a good school. The environment is nice (beside from the construction). The programs are excellent, there are many opportunities to get involved with a group. It's really easy to feel at home, and it feels so recognizable. Not hard to adjust to the area. and things are easily reachable by car or bike!

The best decision I have ever made! I honestly couldn't have asked for a better fit. The people, environment, academics, and social aspect are perfect for me. I am given so many resources and so much help from other students and teachers to get me through the tough classes.

Emma

I am so proud to be a colonel and attend Eastern Kentucky University! They don't call it "campus beautiful" for no reason; the grounds are so well kept and make waling to class everyday a joy. With medium to small class sizes, I always feel comfortable reaching out to my professors and establishing a connection with them. EKU caters to such a wide variety of specialties from the sciences to the arts to everything in between...there's something for everyone. A day doesn't go by where I don't see a new face and a familiar one as well, there's comfort in both sides of that. Overall, I am so happy I decided to call EKU my home for the next four years.

Ciara

It is pretty active even on the weekends. But mostly on game days. Have many events and activities to go and have fun. When going to the library there are always people there to get things done and study. Love having to get study abroad students from other countries and getting to know them and their culture. Their tutoring places are great. You can go there and someone who took the same class or has the same major can help you with homework. It just depends what professor you get but that goes for every college. Plus it is closer to home for me.

Faith

I love Eastern and it’s a great school. I want to go to this school because the professors really care for the students and the campus feels very safe. Eastern is a very accepting school and makes everyone who walks through the door feel welcome.

luke

EKU is a great school! it is not too big like UK but not too small either. I found staff and professors to be super helpful. They have built 3 new dorms, a dining center,science bld plus they are build a new student union and gym. they care about their students and have a free tutoring center in the library. There are a lot of opportunities for students to work at the school and get scholarships. They have cool majors like fire explosion investigator, aviation and video game design. I loved my time there and encourage any student to go check it out!

Zaria

I personally love Eastern Kentucky University because of the small, close knit community. The class sizes are not that big, which means students are able to easily get one on one interaction with professors. There are a lot of resources on campus that are available to students to help them succeed. The campus is extremely safe, and there are also a lot of jobs available to students. Eastern Kentucky University really cares for all of its students, and supply everything needed to make sure they are successful.

Brianna

It seemed to be a nice school and I am looking forward to going here. Ive dreamed of going to EKU since I've became interested in the criminal justice field. I visited here only two months ago and as soon as you step out of the car it just felt like home to me.

Cassie

I met many friends and enjoyed my time there but did not feel as though I received the education I would have received at a different university. Much of Eastern Kentucky University's attention was directed towards construction and parking was HORRIBLE 3 out of 4 years. Tuition was increased yearly to pay for sports related costs while a few of the buildings on campus were neglected.

Bailey

I believe that Eastern Kentucky University was a good choice for me. Picking a university can be hard. Eastern is the school for me. I love the overall feel of the campus, and the people here are great. The campus is also beautiful at sunset. I've made many great new friends. I know Eastern will continue to give me amazing opportunities to meet new people, and make lasting friendships.

LaNeika

Class sizes are small and more intimate once you declare your major, which I enjoy, but parking on campus can be a nightmare. Overall, I had a good experience and would recommend to others for the location and the price. There are plenty of places to eat and shop near campus.

Tyler

I love my University. This school has opened my mind to many new ideas and ways of thinking that I never would have considered unless I attended EKU. Many of my instructors truly care about their students and work their hardest to make sure that all of us understand the material that is being taught. My former instructors will even check on me from time to time to see how well I'm doing in my courses! I honestly would never attend another University.

Kaylee

My overall opinion of this college is that it is not worth it. The price is constantly changing and I am not given reasons as to why. It is a expensive school that is not worth the price. Education means nothing to them here all they care about is their failing sports teams.

Marin

Eastern Kentucky University is a great school. It has almost any major you can think of and the tuition is very reasonable. The classes are small and the professors are usually easy to talk to. Big downside of the school is there is always construction going on so it can get very noisy. The campus is beautiful and the gym is great. Free yoga, pilates, cycling etc. classes everyday. Met some great people and students are very friendly. Overall the school is a great match for me.

Kara

This is my first year at EKU. I don't live on campus so my views about on campus living are from what other students say. For the majority all my teachers want their students to succeed and the school runs it's academic programs smoothly and help whenever you need help with scheduling classes or major changes. The campus is quite pretty even though it seems like there is always construction going on. The food options are good and they just recently added a new restaurant which is nice. The school sends emails every week about activities around campus to get students involved and even though I don't really get into that scene much I like that the opportunities are there. EKU's Center for the Arts hosts musicians and other performers and sometimes students get free tickets which is really cool. I really like EKU and am glad to be spending another year there.

Eastern Kentucky University is a substantial college. Being a senior in high school I have looked at many special colleges and taken the time to visit many of them. Eastern Kentucky University just stood out to me in so many great ways and the campus felt like home. The campus size is a big factor way I love this college. It's not a huge campus that everything is spread out, its a medium sized campus and everything is in a short walking distance. The room and board is significant. The cafeteria has a variety of different food options that you can choose from and they also have different fast food places around the campus. You will never have to leave campus to have a great breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The dorms are one of my favorite parts about Eastern. The dorms are traditional but more higher up. You still get the great experience of sharing a room with a roommate but you get your own shower and bathroom to share with your roommate. The college life on campus is something that you won't want to miss out on. They have several clubs that you can join based on your interests and things you like to do. The best part is if you don't see a club thats right for you but you have one in mind you can create it! Greek life on campus is a great way to meet people and have a bother/sisterly bond that will last you a life time. The class sizes at Eastern are small so it allows your professor to get to know you and even better they will know your name! This allows you to be able to ask questions and spend one on one time with your professors. Eastern campus is a beautiful place with a lot of green space that you can hang out with friends, study, and play sports. Overall Eastern University is a great campus that I can not wait to spend the next four years at and it will help me guide my path for the future.

Paige

My overall opinion of Eastern Kentucky University is that it is truly an excellent college to attend. When I first transferred to EKU from the college I attended first, I was extremely nervous. My first day of classes went great and so did my first semester. All of the students were beyond nice and all of the teachers were super helpful. I would absolutely recommend EKU to anyone interested in going to college.

nunya

The school definitely has its ups and downs. I was not advised well while transferring into the school, but once I got settled into my major and met with that advisor, I was able to figure out the classes I actually needed. There are research and extracurricular opportunities, but you do have to put in the effort to get started in them. My only real complaint is that about half of the courses should be more demanding. However, I seem to one of the few with this opinion. Overall, a solid school.

shade

I have lived in Richmond almost my entire life and I would say that Eastern isn't as crazy as it once was but it is still a lot of fun. There is a great campus and pretty cool people. You get that at home southern hospitality that you would expect when you visit KY and thats very pleasing. Most attractions are outside of town but that doesn't mean that theres nothing to do. You just have to learn to live a more simple lifestyle which (in my opinion) is a great quality to have as a person.

Allison

My overall opinion of EKU is that it’s a very well ran school filled with students, professors, and staff that care about every one’s experience while on campus. There’s plenty of clubs, Greek life, intramural, and more activities to get involved in. Also, there’s good variety of students who attend the school.

marcos

Eastern Kentucky is a good college to go to. It is the college i want to attend when i graduate.i have been there a few times and the times i have been were pretty awesome in my opinion. the teachers seem pretty cool. so do the students who attend. there food is great. i especially love the all you can eat buffet they have. everything there to me is overall the best. I hope to one day attend Eastern Kentucky when i graduate two year from now. Also i did not include this, but there athletic department is pretty sweet as well. To anyone who is planning on going to college, you should check Eastern Kentucky.

Eastern Kentucky University is the best school I have ever attended. Not only is the out of class life personal and fulfilling, everything from the workers, professors, janitors, and visitors all make the school an experience of a lifetime. I love the environment that it is surrounded by and I am so glad to be attending the University.

Austin

I have found that EKU provides an excellent college experience. There are plenty of fun and friendly people to befriend. There are also many clubs, student organizations, and independent activities, that any student may partake in. The dorms are great and have many great staff members.

Aaron

EKU is a great place to learn and better yourself for the future. Professors are always available to answer questions during office hours. They are plenty of tutoring services offered to give you that extra little boost you might need to understand something. The best part is the campus has that friendly feeling everyday that makes you feel at home.

Bree

Overall it is a great school. The class sizes, especially once you get into your major classes, are perfect to me. I personally enjoy small class settings like 20 or so people in a class. That way its enough people so you don't feel awkward if you are a quiet person like myself. Its also not so big to the point that the professor, or other students, don't even know you by name. All the professors I've had were very nice and helpful. They were available via email almost anytime and they had office hours you could use to go ask for help. If the office hours didn't work some where even willing to meet outside of those times and where willing to work with your schedule.

I really think EKU is the best college for me. The class sizes are perfect for the classes they retain to, the professors are wonderful and always there to help, and all my classes don't require more than a fifteen minute walk. Everyone here will help without question and there is a variety of clubs and programs to get involved with, not to mention the amazing food and places to relax when I need to chill out.

keisha

It's a great place to be. The academics are outstanding and very challenging, but you will definitely know what you are doing when you get out. Socially, it has it's ups and downs but if you're 21+, you will never have to worry about being bored. Overall, EKU is a great place to be.

To me, coming to Eastern Kentucky University felt right. I visited the campus once or twice and when I found out they had the major I was interested in, I knew I wanted this to be my home for the next four years. There are always plenty of activities/groups to get involved with and the professors are always looking out for their students.