Elmhurst, IL
Elmhurst College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Elmhurst College

Ilse

Elmhurst College may be small, but every year there are people whom you may never have seen before. I am naturally shy and introverted, however I have learned to become more outgoing. I have learned more about independence and the value of a good education. The friendly atmosphere helped improve my outlook on life and the future. The professors are helpful and have learned to appreciate that help.

If I would have known that i would be more academically challenged than the majority of students at Elmhurst College, I would have prepared more. Prepared as in studied or learned more than what was required in the classrooms. I might have possibly even have went to a different high school.

I see the Elmhurst Student as an outgoing, leader-type, energetic individual. Someone who can balance a rigorous academic life with an equally rigorous social life.

Michelle

Elmhurst College had a great Speech-Language Pathology program, which connected specifically to my major. We have a rather new clinic, and students get clients during their Junior year. We also have a Music program that worked very well for me, with a great percussion ensemble.

People always say that college changes a person, and in my experience, this is true. I have grown as a person in so many different ways. I have learned how to present myself to new friends and professors, and how to sieze new opportunities. I've found that it is extremely important to get out of my comfort zone. The most important thing I have gotten out of my experience is passion for my career choice. Before taking SLP classes, I was unsure about my choice of major. It has been completely invaluable to me to take SLP classes and figure out that I truly chose the correct path. I am so excited to take more classes and to pursue the improvement of speech for children.

I brag about how great the people are, how beautiful the campus is, and how strong our Speech Pathology program is.

My classmates are down-to-earth, intriguing people who each offer something different to this world.

"Listen Em, go out and socialize a little bit more. You kept yourself so sucked up my playing your instrument that you are having a hard time really going out and meeting people. You can't go your entire life in a practice room. You need to balance your life. Academics and music is important but you aren't going to be happy if you are going through life alone. There is something to be said for having people to fall back on when those other aspects of your life start to get tough. You really can't do it all by yourself. Learn to rely on people and have a good time occasionally."

I wish that I had known the importance of AP credit in high school. I have tested out of a few of my gen-eds due to AP credit. If I had known that if I had taken a few more courses in high school, like psychology or calculus, I would have potentially have enough credit to put myself an entire academic school year ahead. College is so expensive and it would have been worth saving myself a year's worth of tuition.

My school is a small, private, liberal arts instituition made up of a tight-knit community of students who excel in the classroom, outside of the classroom (on athletic teams), and on stage (musically and theatrically).

First, do not worry about the cost of school. Many students have loans and worrying about your loans does not make your loans disappear. College is an investment and should be thought of as so. That said, make the most of it educationally and socially. In getting a job, allow your pay and hours to suffice; think of it more as helping your employer out and allow it to make you a better person. Also, work your tail off in your studies. Go to professors for help and allow your grades to mean something, being truly a reflection of your effort. In transitioning your first year, do not take more than fourteen credit hours. Choose courses that satisfy both your planned educational endeavors and those in which you take interest, while also satisfying a requirement. Listen to people you meet for the first time in the most authentic way possible. Have at least one social and/or personal outlet that serves to bring you back to homeostasis both mentally and physically. Allow every closed door to direct you to another door and be inviting to this new idea. Go to sleep every night knowing you just gave your absolute best.

The best thing about my school is the friendly and intellectually-stimulating atmosphere. This is due to a combination of outstanding teachers and motivated students who are sincerely wonderful people.

Patricia

As my grandmother always said, money is just a piece of paper that gets you the material things that you want, but a mind is a terrible thing to waste. At the age of 17, I wish I could have listened to those fine words that my grandmother had told me. If I was able to go back to the "me" in high school; I would definately lecture myself till I was blue in the face. I would stop myself from being a follower of the crowds. I would talk to my counselors at school see what university or colleges were out there for me. I would strongly recommend a campus tour of the schools that had the degree I was trying to pursue and I would have a college coach to help guide me so that I can stay on track. I would focus more on getting a better grade point average and developing interviewing skills. If only we had time machines that can take us back in time to that person we were before, I am sure that things would be differernt.

The best thing about the school is that it is close to all major expressways.

Someone who wants convienance

Adrian

College gives you more than just a degree. It?s a place to learn and help you become an independent individual. Make sure that you apply early and talk to those who are willing to help you succeed. Listen to those who have been placed in the college atmosphere. College students and professors are perfect examples of whom to take advice from. More importantly talk to your parents. Make sure that they are aware of what you want to do. Your parents want to see you succeed. They would do anything to make that happen. Do research about your desired schools. Find out what you want to study, affordability, class sizes, extra curricular activities and location. Visit all the schools that interest you. Spend the night at a school or step into a classroom and get the real feel. Don?t think you can?t afford a school. Apply for FAFSA and look at the thousands of scholarships available to students. When it comes down to it the decision is yours not anyone else?s. Anything is achievable in life if you are willing to work hard and accept the challenge.

The school doesn't provide students with enough clubs and organizations. It doesn't provide me with enough opportunity to get more involved with my school.

Trying to find ways to get involved with my school. The school does provide some but it doesn't provide a wide range of opportunities to pick from.

I would advise myself to be more focused on getting involved on campus and making more friends at the beginning of freshman year. I would also advise myself to not stay in the dorms, as their poor quality often made me ill, and my roommate wasn't a good person. I would also advise myself to plan ahead for what classes I wanted to take, and to not take so many electives, but to take more general education classes. Also, to avoid Dr. Das's Biblical Studies, and to study harder in Intro to Microeconomics. Finally, I would advise myself to be careful with whom I make friends with, and to probably avoid people that are like myself, because its probably better to be friends that are different from myself rather than the same.

A student attending Elmhurst College should probably enjoy the city, but like living in the suburbs. Also, this person should have a lot of financial aid, because the school is REALLY expensive. The student should probably know what they're interested in before coming here. Also, they should be relatively emotionally well-balanced and good with people, because the school encourages a lot of social interaction in and out of the classroom.

It's price and the inability of the financial aid office to be nice people at times.

Ivonne

The first thing I would tell my 18 year-old self is patience is a must, and understanding to overcome the highs and the lows of any situation. I would also let myself know that the connections that I was going to make with teachers and students is just as beneficial as reading books and the library. When first entering into a new environment, keep an open mind and heart. This will help you see what is normally hidden to you otherwise. Also, don?t be afraid to let people know that you don?t understand things. It?s ok to ask questions. Furthermore, don?t let anyone take advantage of your kindness and willingness to succeed. The most important advice I would have given myself would be although the classes are tough and mentally challenging, in the end there are tons of people there to help you through it all, so take advantage of it and don?t let your pride stand in the way of your education. Above all else, remember who you are and be true to your heart and mind. Our mind has limitless possibilities; it is also the one thing that can cause our limitations.

the worst thing i would say is the tuition. due to the increasing amount of students entering the college the tuition has been raised 3 times since i have been attending making it harder each year to continue my education at this school.

Any person seeking a well-rounded education and looking to make life long connections asn friendships with students and faculty alike.

Aspyn

I can just imagine the high school senior version of me, merely one year ago. Stressing over applications, scrambling for teacher recommendations, and trying to squeeze in as much fun as possible before I bid adieu to the school I was tired of. I had this weird notion that somehow, once high school ended, life was going to get harder, more intense, and I'd be on anti-depressants within the first year if I wasn't careful enough. What a gross misconception! Freeze frame like they do in movies, and one would find me spending countless hours in my Advanced Physics class, devoting many hours to understanding the material. College Me would approach High School Me, look her in the eyes and tell her that college and high school are NOT dangerously different from one another. In fact, they are quite similar. You are making moves to secure a future, meeting new people, embarking on new experiences, and finding yourself as a person. There is really nothing to fear about college. Everything usually falls in its right place, to quote Radiohead. I'd then leave the classroom, happy to have shed some knowledge to myself.

Before I applied, I wish I had known that the school has limited on campus functions. The only times when they sponsor things such as career and activity fair are during the beginning of the year. While this is good, and forces students to focus more on academics than social gatherings, it can serve as a con. Because planned fun--besides the annual snowball fights!--is scarce, students will find it in the form of alcohol-fueled parties in the vicinity of the school, which can be quickly shut down. It is better to have the fun safely on campus.

Elmhurst College is a very small, private institution. It is a far cry from university schools with thousands of students, eager to leave behind the watchful eye of their parents to engage in whatever debauchery the campus provides them. Because of this immense contrast, students who only want to come to college to party will be sadly disappointed, as Elmhurst is definitely NOT a party school. The school also has a zero-tolerance policy against drugs and alcohol, and those who are found with it in the dorms face dire consequences. Learning only here!

If I could go back and talk to myself a few years ago, knowing what I know now, I would have a lot to say. First I would tell myself how important it is to choose a college that is right for you. Look into every single detail such as class size, activities, and dorm experience, to make sure you will enjoy your time spent there. Also, pick classes that interest you. Doing this will make going to class and doing well a lot easier because you will actually be interested in the class content. Another important thing is to stay on top of your work. College classes are a lot different than High school, your teachers won't be as lenient when it comes to late and missing assignments and if you don't turn your work in your grades will drop. Lastly, GET INVOLVED! Your college experience will be much more fun if you get involved in clubs and sports and make new friends in the process.

In my opinion, the worst thing about Elmhurst College is that, being in a residential area, it is mostly a commuter school. Although I live on campus, many of the students go home after class which leaves campus rather empty and almost ghost like. On weekends campus is usually quite empty as well.

If you are looking for a big "party" school with large class sizes where you can hide in the back unnoticed, then Elmhurst College is not right for you.

Elmhurst College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.