Elmhurst, IL
Elmhurst College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Elmhurst College

Patricia

As my grandmother always said, money is just a piece of paper that gets you the material things that you want, but a mind is a terrible thing to waste. At the age of 17, I wish I could have listened to those fine words that my grandmother had told me. If I was able to go back to the "me" in high school; I would definately lecture myself till I was blue in the face. I would stop myself from being a follower of the crowds. I would talk to my counselors at school see what university or colleges were out there for me. I would strongly recommend a campus tour of the schools that had the degree I was trying to pursue and I would have a college coach to help guide me so that I can stay on track. I would focus more on getting a better grade point average and developing interviewing skills. If only we had time machines that can take us back in time to that person we were before, I am sure that things would be differernt.

The best thing about the school is that it is close to all major expressways.

Someone who wants convienance

Adrian

College gives you more than just a degree. It?s a place to learn and help you become an independent individual. Make sure that you apply early and talk to those who are willing to help you succeed. Listen to those who have been placed in the college atmosphere. College students and professors are perfect examples of whom to take advice from. More importantly talk to your parents. Make sure that they are aware of what you want to do. Your parents want to see you succeed. They would do anything to make that happen. Do research about your desired schools. Find out what you want to study, affordability, class sizes, extra curricular activities and location. Visit all the schools that interest you. Spend the night at a school or step into a classroom and get the real feel. Don?t think you can?t afford a school. Apply for FAFSA and look at the thousands of scholarships available to students. When it comes down to it the decision is yours not anyone else?s. Anything is achievable in life if you are willing to work hard and accept the challenge.

The school doesn't provide students with enough clubs and organizations. It doesn't provide me with enough opportunity to get more involved with my school.

Trying to find ways to get involved with my school. The school does provide some but it doesn't provide a wide range of opportunities to pick from.

I would advise myself to be more focused on getting involved on campus and making more friends at the beginning of freshman year. I would also advise myself to not stay in the dorms, as their poor quality often made me ill, and my roommate wasn't a good person. I would also advise myself to plan ahead for what classes I wanted to take, and to not take so many electives, but to take more general education classes. Also, to avoid Dr. Das's Biblical Studies, and to study harder in Intro to Microeconomics. Finally, I would advise myself to be careful with whom I make friends with, and to probably avoid people that are like myself, because its probably better to be friends that are different from myself rather than the same.

A student attending Elmhurst College should probably enjoy the city, but like living in the suburbs. Also, this person should have a lot of financial aid, because the school is REALLY expensive. The student should probably know what they're interested in before coming here. Also, they should be relatively emotionally well-balanced and good with people, because the school encourages a lot of social interaction in and out of the classroom.

It's price and the inability of the financial aid office to be nice people at times.

Ivonne

The first thing I would tell my 18 year-old self is patience is a must, and understanding to overcome the highs and the lows of any situation. I would also let myself know that the connections that I was going to make with teachers and students is just as beneficial as reading books and the library. When first entering into a new environment, keep an open mind and heart. This will help you see what is normally hidden to you otherwise. Also, don?t be afraid to let people know that you don?t understand things. It?s ok to ask questions. Furthermore, don?t let anyone take advantage of your kindness and willingness to succeed. The most important advice I would have given myself would be although the classes are tough and mentally challenging, in the end there are tons of people there to help you through it all, so take advantage of it and don?t let your pride stand in the way of your education. Above all else, remember who you are and be true to your heart and mind. Our mind has limitless possibilities; it is also the one thing that can cause our limitations.

the worst thing i would say is the tuition. due to the increasing amount of students entering the college the tuition has been raised 3 times since i have been attending making it harder each year to continue my education at this school.

Any person seeking a well-rounded education and looking to make life long connections asn friendships with students and faculty alike.

Aspyn

I can just imagine the high school senior version of me, merely one year ago. Stressing over applications, scrambling for teacher recommendations, and trying to squeeze in as much fun as possible before I bid adieu to the school I was tired of. I had this weird notion that somehow, once high school ended, life was going to get harder, more intense, and I'd be on anti-depressants within the first year if I wasn't careful enough. What a gross misconception! Freeze frame like they do in movies, and one would find me spending countless hours in my Advanced Physics class, devoting many hours to understanding the material. College Me would approach High School Me, look her in the eyes and tell her that college and high school are NOT dangerously different from one another. In fact, they are quite similar. You are making moves to secure a future, meeting new people, embarking on new experiences, and finding yourself as a person. There is really nothing to fear about college. Everything usually falls in its right place, to quote Radiohead. I'd then leave the classroom, happy to have shed some knowledge to myself.

Before I applied, I wish I had known that the school has limited on campus functions. The only times when they sponsor things such as career and activity fair are during the beginning of the year. While this is good, and forces students to focus more on academics than social gatherings, it can serve as a con. Because planned fun--besides the annual snowball fights!--is scarce, students will find it in the form of alcohol-fueled parties in the vicinity of the school, which can be quickly shut down. It is better to have the fun safely on campus.

Elmhurst College is a very small, private institution. It is a far cry from university schools with thousands of students, eager to leave behind the watchful eye of their parents to engage in whatever debauchery the campus provides them. Because of this immense contrast, students who only want to come to college to party will be sadly disappointed, as Elmhurst is definitely NOT a party school. The school also has a zero-tolerance policy against drugs and alcohol, and those who are found with it in the dorms face dire consequences. Learning only here!

If I could go back and talk to myself a few years ago, knowing what I know now, I would have a lot to say. First I would tell myself how important it is to choose a college that is right for you. Look into every single detail such as class size, activities, and dorm experience, to make sure you will enjoy your time spent there. Also, pick classes that interest you. Doing this will make going to class and doing well a lot easier because you will actually be interested in the class content. Another important thing is to stay on top of your work. College classes are a lot different than High school, your teachers won't be as lenient when it comes to late and missing assignments and if you don't turn your work in your grades will drop. Lastly, GET INVOLVED! Your college experience will be much more fun if you get involved in clubs and sports and make new friends in the process.

In my opinion, the worst thing about Elmhurst College is that, being in a residential area, it is mostly a commuter school. Although I live on campus, many of the students go home after class which leaves campus rather empty and almost ghost like. On weekends campus is usually quite empty as well.

If you are looking for a big "party" school with large class sizes where you can hide in the back unnoticed, then Elmhurst College is not right for you.

Jean

Producing good teachers, special ed teachers, speech therapists.

Producing good teachers, special ed teachers, speech therapists.

Being that I graduated from high school in 1976 and had no idea of what or who I was or wanted to be, my first and foremost recommendation would be to finish college when you are young. Going to college and working full-time with a family is extremely difficult. Although, I must say that going to college as an adult made my learning experience much more gratifying. I believe the wisdom that I have as a working adult has made my academic learning easier. Another important thing for the younger students are to get a degree, when possible, in something that you really like to do or are passionate about, it will make your career choice much more pleasurable. And don't forget to have some fun in college. The friends you make in college are the friends that you will take into your adult life.

All the professors know you by name. Class sizes are between 15-20 students. Beautiful quad-like campus with lots of grass.

Zachary

Knowing what I went through as a high school senior, I believe that i would have changed several aspects of my last year. FOr one I think I should have perservered more in following some more scholarship offers. I believe that would have helped me more. I also believe that I should have been more organized in the aspect of keeping and maintaining an everyday scheduler. I think that would have helped me the most in adapting to the tough scheduling in the college life.

I wish i could have known what some of the academic challenges as far as scheduling goes. Trying to juggle athletics with school and social activities is a tough step forward from the high-school level and knowing how to handle this tough challenge would have helped out greatly.

I believe the worst aspect of Elmhurst College is the low amount of students on campus. Even though the most fun part about college is the social realm, i believe that aspect is lacking in this College. If this association would hold more social activities would boost the moral of the school in general.

Brooke

My classmates are educated people. I can trust that in a classroom setting we can have an intelligent converstaion. Most of them have stable family relationships and are caring as well as logical.

Keep track of everything that you do. There will not be a guidance counsler or parent looking over all of your decisions, therefore it is up to you to be organized and know your own path to success. This is especially important in picking your classes, schedules, and activities. Don't over plan your class or activity schedule, and make sure that the classes you choose pertain and apply to your major.

I think that Elmhurst College students are of a higher level than other public universities. I feel that the school sets high standards and has high expectations for the students who attend. The student needs to be well rounded in academics as well as extracurricular activities.

Jacob

Going back to myself as a high school student would be very interesting because although I am only through my first semester at Elmhurst College I have already changed and matured in so many ways. I would tell myself to be ready for change, to work hard, and to have an awesome time. I'd make sure to mention that getting involved and being social are essential to a fun and rewarding year at college. Otherwise it is easy to get stuck in a rut, just going to class and hanging out with a small group of people. When this happens the learning, maturing, and everything else starts to slow. The last piece of advice i would give my high school self is to study. Although it may not have been necessary in high school it definately will be in college.

The best thing about the school are the teachers. I haven't yet had a teacher that wasn't fully commited to help students if they didn't understand or needed more help. They are all very passionate about their work and it really stands out.

The worst thing about Elmhurst College is the fact that it is composed of mostley commuter students. Two thirds of the students enrolled commute leaving a small amount of campus life. Many times the weekends can be boring, with very few campus activities going on. Also since many people commute the dining areas on campus have shorter hours on the weekends.

Elmhurst College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.