Elmhurst, IL
Elmhurst College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Elmhurst College

Jean

Producing good teachers, special ed teachers, speech therapists.

Producing good teachers, special ed teachers, speech therapists.

Being that I graduated from high school in 1976 and had no idea of what or who I was or wanted to be, my first and foremost recommendation would be to finish college when you are young. Going to college and working full-time with a family is extremely difficult. Although, I must say that going to college as an adult made my learning experience much more gratifying. I believe the wisdom that I have as a working adult has made my academic learning easier. Another important thing for the younger students are to get a degree, when possible, in something that you really like to do or are passionate about, it will make your career choice much more pleasurable. And don't forget to have some fun in college. The friends you make in college are the friends that you will take into your adult life.

All the professors know you by name. Class sizes are between 15-20 students. Beautiful quad-like campus with lots of grass.

Zachary

Knowing what I went through as a high school senior, I believe that i would have changed several aspects of my last year. FOr one I think I should have perservered more in following some more scholarship offers. I believe that would have helped me more. I also believe that I should have been more organized in the aspect of keeping and maintaining an everyday scheduler. I think that would have helped me the most in adapting to the tough scheduling in the college life.

I wish i could have known what some of the academic challenges as far as scheduling goes. Trying to juggle athletics with school and social activities is a tough step forward from the high-school level and knowing how to handle this tough challenge would have helped out greatly.

I believe the worst aspect of Elmhurst College is the low amount of students on campus. Even though the most fun part about college is the social realm, i believe that aspect is lacking in this College. If this association would hold more social activities would boost the moral of the school in general.

Brooke

My classmates are educated people. I can trust that in a classroom setting we can have an intelligent converstaion. Most of them have stable family relationships and are caring as well as logical.

Keep track of everything that you do. There will not be a guidance counsler or parent looking over all of your decisions, therefore it is up to you to be organized and know your own path to success. This is especially important in picking your classes, schedules, and activities. Don't over plan your class or activity schedule, and make sure that the classes you choose pertain and apply to your major.

I think that Elmhurst College students are of a higher level than other public universities. I feel that the school sets high standards and has high expectations for the students who attend. The student needs to be well rounded in academics as well as extracurricular activities.

Jacob

Going back to myself as a high school student would be very interesting because although I am only through my first semester at Elmhurst College I have already changed and matured in so many ways. I would tell myself to be ready for change, to work hard, and to have an awesome time. I'd make sure to mention that getting involved and being social are essential to a fun and rewarding year at college. Otherwise it is easy to get stuck in a rut, just going to class and hanging out with a small group of people. When this happens the learning, maturing, and everything else starts to slow. The last piece of advice i would give my high school self is to study. Although it may not have been necessary in high school it definately will be in college.

The best thing about the school are the teachers. I haven't yet had a teacher that wasn't fully commited to help students if they didn't understand or needed more help. They are all very passionate about their work and it really stands out.

The worst thing about Elmhurst College is the fact that it is composed of mostley commuter students. Two thirds of the students enrolled commute leaving a small amount of campus life. Many times the weekends can be boring, with very few campus activities going on. Also since many people commute the dining areas on campus have shorter hours on the weekends.

Alyssa

Can you ever change the past? Would you want to, if you could? I was told, in high school, never to open an essay with a rhetorical question. Since entering college, I've heard from various professors all kinds of nutty statements that I will disregard before graduating--but I have learned other things which I hope I will never forget. The first of which is perhaps the harshest: yes, he really did just use you for sex. And he'll keep it up if you let him. Guys suck in high school, but especially in college. The hardest lessons to learn are the ones that hit closest to home. Once you learn that one, you'll quickly learn when to take a drunk friend to the hospital--if you aren't sure, take them. And if you go out on a week night, set at least 5 alarms so you can make it to class the next day. The classes you'll take your first 2 years may not teach you anything conceptually (they aren't like high school APs) but they will teach you how to learn, which is more valuable in many ways.

Good classes, small classes, fun classes. I brag about the football team, because we are awesome. I brag about my friends on campus because they are amazing.

Karen

I would advise myself not to worry. Even though college is stressful, if you stay focused and determined, anything is possible. College is a time for discovering yourself and reaching new limits in your academic career. As long as you are serious about your school work and remain focused, college can be easy. College is fun, exciting, and full of new surprises. College is a place where friends are made and life careers begin. I would go back and tell myself that college will be a wonderful new experience and there is nothing to be afraid of!

Someone who is not focused on their school work.

Since I don't live on campus, I have to drive to campus everyday.

Marta

Save every penny now for future tuition and related expenses. Going to college is expensive, but it's the best investment you'll ever make, so don't hesitate to make that expense, just be well prepared for it.

The absolutely best thing about my school is this institution's flexibility in accomodating the students' needs.

I do brag a lot about my school. The campus is really beautiful and the teachers there are extremely bright.

Kimber

Our school is a small, private school located 30 minutes from Chicago, that allows students and teachers to be on a first name basis.

Our school is highly known for the music program--we are at a good location being near Chicago. Many internships are available for students to recieve. Our education and nursing majors are also two of the largest.

I would tell myself to go to college and be the person that you really want to be. In high school you tend to feed off of your friends and have a little of their personality in yours (especially in a small school); you may gossip too much or get into too many fights or drama, and it may not be the person you really want to be. Go to college and join clubs, make new friends and make your own personality stand out. And don't forget to change the world!

My classmates are very career oriented and friendly.

My classmates are very career oriented and friendly.

Do not think that senior year is a blow-off year. It is really important to put effort into all your classes even though you are almost graduated.

I recomment that students go to class as much as possible and ask teachers for help whenever they need it. The teachers here are always willing to help you if you are struggling.

Christine

Enjoy every minute you have! Don't take your education for granted. This is a wonderful opportunity I have to attend college. Meet people, make connections, and absorb all. Afterall, these people and my education will be with me for the rest of my life!

Someone who wants a big university experience.

The administration is very rigid. They don't want to bend the rules.

Elmhurst College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.