Springfield, MO

Evangel University

« See more reviews of Evangel University

To be completely honest, I absolutely love my school and all it offers. The worst thing about Evangel University is the reputation that some people think we have. Our school is a private Assemblies of God University. Some say that we aren't as spiritual compared to other Assembly of God schools like North Central and Central Bible College. They only say that because we are a liberal arts university. We at Evangel University realize that there are more callings in life than ministry. God has a unique calling for all individuals. That is the worst thing about Evangel University.

I would have to say the limited amount of work study jobs that are available on campus. There simply is not enough for everyone and it is frustrating. I receive works study every semester from the government, but there are no jobs left when I look on my school's website to apply for one. I do receive a lot of finacial aid, but not getting work study makes it more difficult on me. The Financial Aid team is wonderful and are so helpful. They really do care about the students and work very hard to keep them here.

I believe the worst thing about my school is how expensive it is. Not everyone can afford to go Evangel without having to take a loan out, or getting a scholarship, and grant. Most students that go to Evangel are on some sort of financial aid. The way things are going right now in our economy, definetly makes it much harder for anyone to go to school and expect them to pay the money back after they are done. I believe that my school should lower the cost for tuition, so more students could afford to come here.

I would consider the worst thing about my school to be the highly conservative views held by the older professors, board members, and even some students. This is not the case with everybody, but there are those select people who are intolerant of change, and close-minded toward people with different views and different backgrounds. Growing up in rural Alaska makes me very different and with some of those said people it has been difficult fitting in and being accepted.

The expenses and the financial aid program. I kind of wish it would be stronger and be more flexible to be able to accomodate the students. For example, my school is affiliated with the Assemblies of God and the Assemblies of God holds a national youth competition called Fine Arts. Evangel is really picky on giving out a scholarships based off of your performance in Fine Arts. You have to enter into a certain category to be eligible for it. It's not fair in my eyes.

Evangel is a small university and has small classes. Although that is usually considered positive, it can also be very challenging. A student cannot disappear in a classroom or lecture hall and everyone knows him/her on campus. Evangel is like a small town where everybody knows everybody whether you like it or not. So, if you don't want to be encouraged to participate, interact, and get to know people and professors, Evangel would not be the place for you.

I am in a Professional Adult Studies Program that I really love. What I don't like about it is that there are no in house scholarships available for this program. I will receive a BS in Communications in May of 2013, these are accelerated block classes ( I do like that about it), but I have a 3.6 GPA and cannot get a scholarship from my school. There are scholarships available for traditional students, however.

I consider the worst thing to be the tuition. It costs me 23,000 dollars a year to attend this school and it's sad because I am gettind deeper in to debt just to attend a good christian school. Money is hard to come by on my end and so loans are my only option. I need every scholarship that I can get so my parents aren't under strain as well. Other than that I love this school and everything it offers!

I don't personally believe this to be the worst thing about my school because I think that it is very important for a Christian schools to have high standards but I know that many students become frustrated with the strict dress code and no dancing policy. I think that the no dancing policy is being changed right now, but I think that those areas are the things people mostly dislike about our school.

The worst thing about my college is that they do not serve meals in the cafeteria on Sunday nights. This makes students go out and spend money on dinner instead of being able to use the meal plans that they have paid for by means of loans or scholarships to feed them. The students are forced to go out and spend more money than needed to pay for food because that cafeteria is not open for that evening.