Springfield, MO

Evangel University

« See more reviews of Evangel University

Before coming to college, I wish I had known how much it was going to cost living on my own. I knew basic items I needed such as food, laundry detergent, and books, but I was caught off guard by how much it was going to cost. As the weeks went on, I found myself continuously making trips to Wal-Mart for other necessities that I did not have to pay for when living at home such as toiletries, cleaning supplies, and school supplies. Looking back, I wish I had saved up more money for these items.

I feel that Evangel University adequately informs their prospective students of what to expect before they arrive at school. Faculty and staff are available to answer questions about finances, classes, and more at the university and there are social networks that allow prospective students to communicate with current students to answer questions concerning campus life. Because of this, the process of getting adjusted to and becoming familiar with campus life was a smooth transition.

I thought I was really prepared when I set foot at Evangel, but the First thing that blew me out of the water was not knowing how to take good class notes. I was so use to taking my time while taking notes that when I got to Evangel I realized that what I thought was normal was really slow. I would also not be able to take adequate notes. I really struggled when it came down to studying for exams because the content of my notes were useless. Therefore, my exam grades really suffered.

If I could have known one thing before I came to Evangel University, it would probably be to know how many credits I would need to take to graduate. If I would have known this information I would have taken more college classes while I was in high school so that I could transfer them here before I even began college. It would be nice to have some of the general education classes done before I came to school so I would have more classes under my belt and be able to focus on my major.

I wish I would have known that my stuff in my dorm doesn't stay throughout my four years here at Evangel. I know there are other schools that let students leave their things in the dorm during the summer whereas my school doesn't. It is too much of a hassle for me to take out all my things from my dorm, put it in my parent's van, and travel back to Chicago, and load my things off into my house that is 9 hours away from my school!

I wish I would have known that it was ok not to know exactly what I want to do with my life. I thought I had to have it all planned out before school began, but then realized that as I learned and matured my dreams and goals changed. When you go to college you aren't expected to know everything, youre here to learn and grow. I wish I woul have realized that before I declared a major and would have just taken it slow.

I wish I had known how many things there were to get involved in. When I got here, there were just so many options of clubs and orginizations to get involved with that I had never known about, and I felt very overwhelmed. I ended up not joining any because there were so many to learn about. Next year, I will definitely be involved in a lot more because now I know what they are all about.

I wish I would have known the amount of studying I would have had to do to be successful. In high school, I never studied and finished with a 3.92GPA. In college, I tried doing the same thing but its not possible, you have to study. Therefore my GPA is 3.54 when I could have had it higher if I would have known to study more.

I wish had known just how much responsibility would be placed in my hands. From here on out, there's no more mommy and daddy to hold my hand. It's only me: I'm responsible for everything grade I get, dollar I spend, and minute that passes me by. A lot of freedom is placed in your hands once you come into a college setting.

I wish someone would of told me to get involved in everything. I spent my first semester worrying about grades and trying to get perfect acedemics when you really do need to take the time to have some fun! I also wish someone would of told me not to bring so much stuff, the dorms aren't as big as you may think!