Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

« See more reviews of Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

No one feels out of place at Georgia Tech. When they tell you on the tour there is an organization for everyone, they mean it! From Rho Epsilon Delta (the fraternity of people with red hair) to Georgia Tech's philanthropy GT Heros, or the Indian Club and fashion club, there really is something for everyone. Attire to class depends on the students. You have the typical people who rolled out of bed and forgot to brush their teeth to the students who wouldn't be caught dead in anything that didn't look fratastic. Due to the large variety of cultures, different types of students are forced to interact. There's lots of group projects and depending on your major you have Senior Design which forces you to work with everyone. Most Georgia Tech students are either from out of state or out of the country. People come to Tech from literally all over the world. Students are very politically aware and active! Tech is so known for being active that Barack Obama came and spoke at our school! At the time, Tech gave him his largest crowd to the date! There is a large mix of political preference including Independents! Students always talk about how much money they will make one day since most students start off making more than most students will EVER make at other schools, like UGA.

Being black, I have a little bit of a different perspective. Most of my close friends do happen to be black. This is mainly because all the white girls I was cool with freshman year joined sororities so they always had stuff to do after class. That made me get more involved with AASU. Also, I didn't declare a major until my 2nd year so I'm only just now starting to have classes with the same people. You will notice, especially in lecture classes, that you are one of maybe 3 little brown spots. 99% of the time though, it doesn't make a difference in how you are treated (hey, there's always that one prof or adviser...). White students tend to do better here because they do things like join study groups, and don't have a problem asking for help. I've noticed that we black people sometimes feel a need to prove ourselves and won't admit that we're struggling until our grade is already trashed. All in all, students here aren't too much different than anywhere else. Maybe a little smarter (just joking!). We wear the same sneakers, sweatpants (PINK by Victoria's Secret is a must-have for girls), and school logo hoodies.

I am part of Hispanic as well as women organizations on campus. There are many organizations on campus that deal with every subject and every interest. Most students don't really care what they wear to class and you rarely find anyone dressed up or with make up on. Georgia Tech students are very interested in learning and not so much in their appearance. Different students tend to interact but in general they tend to find their own niches based on social or ethnic groups. Most Georgia Tech students are from middle to upper middle class families where education has been enforced and encouraged since very young. They tend to either be from Georgia or from the North East. Students are very politically aware on campus and there are various activities on Skiles Walkway that help show their politically activism. Students here are usually in the center. Students always talk about the fact that they will earn a lot of money coming out of college because they have en engineering degree from Georgia Tech.

Simultaneously the best and worst thing about the typical Tech student is their work ethic. Most are so focused on getting that A and getting that job that they forget that part of the reason of going away to school is to live. Most different groups of students seem to interact ok. When I say that, I mean that there is very little interaction with people that don't directly know eachother, and its tough to have conflict if you act like noone else exists. Most Tech students are from the southeast and the eastern seaboard. They are typically upper-middleclass, and tend to lean right. However, not that many are actually politically aware or active. Many students here talk about how much they're be making in the future, I mean its the sole reason most are here, and its kinda depressing. When I say its depressing, I mean most students are so concerned with the future that they forget to have a good time in the present.

First and foremost, there is a club for EVERYTHING at Tech, including any racial makeup/combination, sexual orientation, religious belief, sport interest... anything. That being said, for there being so many different clubs, everyone really gets along pretty well. There are always conflicting beliefs, but I think most of us know how to respect each other's opinions and beliefs. The only out of place student I see is one who is not really up to par, intellectually. All different types of students interact on a daily basis. Although there are cliques, everyone talks to everyone at some point. There are no completely defined black and white social boundaries. Students at Tech are mostly politically aware, although we don't always have the time to participate as much as we may want. The dress for class: mostly sweats and t-shirts. Dress up if you want..

Georgia Tech is extremely diverse- you can find any type of person on campus. There is a huge variety of nations, races, and religions represented anywhere you go. Hence, there are clubs for just about any interest you could have. For instance, there are Indian student clubs, Muslim associations, Pride Alliance, etc. All types of students interact, partly because they have to be in situations with other students. However, most are glad to get to move outside their social bubble. There is also a wide variety of student financial backgrounds at Tech. Since the students pride themselves on being intellectual, they are usually quite politically aware. There is no predominant political view, but there are organizations for whatever position you take.

Students at Tech are very diverse: You can meet people from around the world, literally. This provides an opportunity to learn about other cultures. I remember last Thanksgiving/Christmas season: talking with other students about their holiday plans. A lot of them don't celebrate Thanksgiving or Christmas or one or the other, but they celebrate other holidays. Religious views are very diverse too. But I have not noticed any pressure to conform to any other religion, everyone is very open. They just accept that you believe what you believe and they believe what they believe. There is most likely a religious group you can join to meet other people who have a similar faith to yours.

I don't think anyone would feel out of place at Tech. There are too many different types of people around. Different types of students interact all the time. You have to. Not many people can get out of here on there own. I know a lot of my friends are not Mechanical Engineers either so that means if I want ME help, I've got to branch out to some other people. 4 tables of students in the dining hall.....1) Freshman hall mates that became friends 2) Two people on their way back from the Campus Rec Center 3) Some fraternity brothers with a sorority girl or two (mind the ratio of course) 4) A kid by himself just grabbing a bite before class or the library

Georgia Tech students come in all sorts of a variety. You will not find any other campus which promotes as many awkward and silly activities that the Tech campus does. However, these silly hobbies are only meant for a good cause in drawing out the stress that many engineering students experience as they progress through their rigorous coursework. Whatever personality you exhibit and whatever hobbies may interest you, Georgia Tech has something which will suffice for all. If you remain inconvenienced that your deepest gut-interest will find a home here, just wait and let Tech's campus surprise you.

The student body is fairly diverse. Most students are obviously from Georgia but you will find quite a large number of minorities and international students. Despite all this, it's actually quite hard to meet people who are actually social and active. Someone who is expecting a typically outgoing college life will seriously be disappointed. There is pretty much nothing to do if you are not in greek life sad to say. Most ppl often hang out in cliques. Theres the CS majors, the frat guys, the internationals, and the average joes.