Hamilton College

« See more reviews of Hamilton College

The people(students and faculty) make Hamilton so incredible. Profs actually care how you are doing both academicly and as a person. If you are making an effort in their classes they will look out for you. These relationships are just as prevolent among the student body. Upperclassmen didn't treat me like a "freshman." From the first day on I was a college student, just like everyone else...there was barely any distingishing of age. The school is a bit small...but big enough to avoid a crazy ex-girlfriend or something comparable (If things exist). Most people have heard of Hamilton and are impressed if they're familiar with the liberal arts schools. However, one guy was really confused when I told him...Hamilton college? Oh it was named after that president right?

it's a really small school, the same size as my high school with a lot of cliques. you'd better like snow and cold weather. hamilton has a good reputation but it's not that well known. it's in upstate NY so there's nothing to do off campus. the administration doesn't really care about the students but it also depends on the department - whether you're talking about financial aid dept., admissions, the food or what. the food really sucks. every other year there's one racial incident that occurs. they never figure out who did it but it does reflect the lack of diversity on campus and the presence of racism that's there but never talked about. best thing: having aretha franklin, bill clinton, and al gore come to Hamilton & i like the snow

The schools is the perfect size and should make sure that it does not get any bigger. If I could change one thing I would focus on really educating the upper class and privilaged part of the population (which is a huge chunk of the population) on understand what their backgrounds do for them and those who don't come from their backgrounds what troubles they run into. I spend most of my time on campus in friends dorms (suites) and the library and random other places to study around campus. Hamilton's open curriculum is amazing and hamilton should make sure to never get rid of that. I couldn't imagine going to a school with requirements and its amazing being able to pick ever classes you would like, its a great freedom.

I love Hamilton. The best part is the small campus. It's so nice to walk across campus and recognize many faces. Additionally, a small campus allows professors to get to know students really well and give them personal attention in and outside of the classroom. It is a great feeling when I professor I had last semester came up to me a few weeks ago and commented on an article I had written for the campus magazine. Hamilton is a lot of work, which sometimes makes it difficult to have an active social life. On the other hand, most classes are really interesting and since the professors are really challenging, my writing has improved a hundredfold and that is an essential skill I can take with me after graduation.

The best thing about Hamilton College is the academics. We have very small, intimate classroom settign taught by former ambassadors or other various prominent members in society. I would change the huge conflict of diversity-people dwell on it too much which makes it a problem. If you don't point it out no one will notice. Our school is very small but I enjoy knowing the faces on campus. When I tell people I go to Hamilton they either do not know what Hamilton is or they assume we drink wine and eat cheese all day. I spend most of my time in a dorm, either my own or a friends. The administration seems good, there are structural problems with efficiency of financial aid and the actual success of campus safety.

The best thing about Hamilton is the number of amazingly well-rounded, grounded, and happy people who I've met here. I've made friends that will last me a lifetime, and Hamilton's small size creates a homey feeling. When I leave Hamilton, I know I'm going home...but I also know that when I come back, I'll be home too. I only wish Hamilton had better name recognition- it's a great school on par with almost any other small, liberal arts school on the east coast, just no one hears about it. The Science Center is a great place to hang out and study, with lots of private rooms overlooking the valleys of upstate New York, a cafe that serves great coffee as well as chocolate chip cookies, and computer labs.

A big controversy currently going on is the ongoing debate about the proposed Cultural Center. The Social Justice Initiative group has proposed a "Cultural Center" for the cultural organizations as well as SJI itself and a few of the other activists clubs. They want to honor our tradition of social justice, give a place for multicultural students to feel comfortable, and have a place for these clubs to meet. Many believe that it will become a recluse and the name itself is uninviting to those who are white. Many argue that we are pointing out our differences, not our similarities, by creating this building. Some believe the building should just be a student union, which I think is a good compromise.

Hamilton is a small, liberal arts school and if that's what you want then you can't go wrong with Hamilton. The academics are great, the buildings are beautiful, the classes are challenging and the parties are lots of fun. Since it is such a small school, people have often never heard of it which can be frustrating when you have worked so hard to get in! The school is struggling, just as most liberal arts schools are, with how to make the school more accesible to an ethnically diverse population. There is controversy over the proposed building of a cultural center. Some students support it whole-heartedly and others, mostly white males, claim it's a ridiculous waste of money.

People rave about the Hamilton Community. The praise is warranted. I love it there. I have one more year to go, and I'm going to miss the place afterwards. Hamilton is small and, with very little effort, you can get to know many people very well. Personally, I really love the food service at Hamilton. Whenever people visit me at school, and if we go to one of the dining halls, they usually remark at how much better our options are than at their school. I am kind of a health nut, and the food meets and surpasses my standards everyday. You probably shouldn't pick a school because it has great food, but you may want to avoid school's with shitty food. It makes a difference.

I love the open curriculum. If I don't like a class, I can't complain because I chose it. I would change class scheduling. Because Hamilton is a small college, some classes are only offered one semester a year, or classes are only offered at once during a semester making scheduling difficult. I can see why the college got rid of them though. Hamilton is just right. Some people say it's too small, but I really like getting to know everyone. When I tell people I got to Hamilton, most people don't know what it is or where. I think its partially because we do not have a college town. Almost everyone stays on campus and drinks on the weekends.