Hamilton College

« See more reviews of Hamilton College

The best thing about Hamilton College is the undergraduate research program. This program offers undergrads the opportunity to get into a lab and do real empirical research, something that would never occur at large university. You're actually doing real research too, not just being a glass washer. This is not only a requirement for medical school or something to put on your resume, it is a great career builder that can help you get into graduate school, network with leading scientists in the field, and even publish papers in the leading scientific journals.

The best thing about Hamilton is you can focus on your academics here since there's not a lot of distractions. I would make the student body more diverse. It's a predominantly Caucasian school. When I tell people I go to Hamilton, the older people say "Wow, that's a nice school. You can do anything when you graduate from there." The younger people say, "Why did you do that to yourself? It's in the middle of no where. I would go crazy." There does seem to be a lot of school pride. Most students complain about the food. You get sick of it after while.

The best thing about Hamilton is the academic freedom. Because there are no core requirements, the responsibility to leave Hamilton with a well rounded, liberal arts education falls on the student. Hamilton is definitely one of the more conservative New England liberal arts colleges, which can have a huge impact on the way the college operates. One thing I'd change: The current administration is rarely seen around campus. At a school of less than 2,000 students, higher-ups need to make more of an effort to connect to the student body.

The school always allows students to pursue their passions or interests - especially if they are even partially academically based. Great atmosphere and highly encouraged to push yourself as a college student to succeed in many facets of life during your time on campus. Still a student, but it seems that the school greatly supports alumni and has a solid alumni network that is only growing in size, success, and power. Additionally, amazing overall facilities, the food is pretty good, and the athletic facility is state-of-the-art.

Overall hamilton is a great place to be minus the fact that it is in the middle of nowhere, noone knows what/where it is, and that there is far too much snow in the winter. Clinton is cute, but I have not actually ever gone and walked through town. Many weekends require a trip into New Hartford, and rarely Utica. The location is nice though, and being near Utica there are many community service opprotunities. Being from Maine, most people haven't heard of Hamilton and I have to tell them it is just like Bowdoin, only in New York.

Collectively, we are a laid back group of preppy kids. We are not as Frat like compared to schools like Colgate. Everyone has a sense of pride in the school. There is a distinct clash between the light and dark sides that is a challenge to overcome. Hamilton succeeds in allowing everyone to have their own fun. There is little dialog between the administration and the student body. Overall, the diversity of our thoughts do not shine through in our social lives but rather in the complexities of our academic classes.

I love the friendliness of the community. I wish people would be proud of our mascot (The Continental - A Soldier). I like my school's size, a little bigger would be fine, a little smaller would not. Most people say that that's really cool. If it happens to be an alum, they are so enthusiastic, but with good reason - its a great place. I spend a great deal of time in the science center (3 science classes and 2 labs), the pool (I'm a swimmer), and my dorm. We have a streaking team and that's pretty cool.

I love that Hamilton is a small community where everyone can get to know each other really well. I have met some of my closest friends here. The academic climate is really challenging, but not so competitive in terms of students racing to get the top grade in the class. It's all just about learning new things and being part of a rigorous atmosphere. On campus, I like to spend a lot of time studying in the Science Center- a nice, tranquil building with a good study environment.

I love the size of the school. It allows for intimate class sizes, you never feel alone when you walk into a dining hall, you know people when you walk around. and yet there are tons of people you don't know. People are really REALLY friendly at Hamilton. I would totally do something about the privacy issue. there isn't much here. Its also quite a bubble, isolated from the world on an international level. It would be nice to have the news again in my life.

We are a close knit community but a little bit divided by which side of campus you're on. The alums are great at giving back to the school and helping students. I think most of the study abroad options are great as Clinton, NY is going to be VERY boring if you stay here all 4 years. I love the dark side of campus for its diverse, multicultural artsy feel but also appreciate the light "siders" who bring to this campus their own style which is predom. preppy.