Honolulu, HI
Hawaii Pacific University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hawaii Pacific University

Amy

I know that for me, finding the right college was a little challenging. There are so many options and when you are fresh out of high school, you don't always know exactly what you're looking for. I would tell parents and students, in search of the right college, to make a list of everything they would like for their school to include; such as sports, majors, housing, student population ...etc. After they have completed their list, I would look for schools that seem to fit for them and then visit a few of them. Many schools may be very different than they appear to be online, so a visit to the campus can often be a deal breaker. As for enjoying and making the most of your college experience, I would tell students to live it up. Get involved in sports and clubs, make new friends and really try to enjoy yourself. If you feel homesick, remember it will pass. Don't hold anything back and just take a chance. College is an amazing place to find out who you really are, get a great education and make life long friends...enjoy every minute of it!

If I could change something about HPU, it would be the campus life. We don't really have much of a campus and it bothers me sometimes. I would also like for there to only be one campus, instead of one in Honolulu and one in Kaneohe for the science majors. It would just be much easier for the science majors if we didn't have to travel to the other side of the island for every class.

Narrow minded people should not attend this school. HPU is a very ethnically diverse school, with students from all over the world. We have a very large student exchange program, therefore we have many students who attend HPU for a year or two, from another country. Because of this mixed student population, most of the students who attend are open minded and enjoy meeting new people from all over the place.

Michelle

A beautiful atmosphere and learning environment that is overpriced

A beautiful atmosphere and learning environment that is overpriced

Make sure that the school provides enough financial aid

Someone who is looking for a great personal life experience while attending school.

Kristen

Hawaii Pacific University is a private university with small class sizes (usually no more than 35 students), where the professors are willing and able to give you any extra time you may need (outside of class time).

One thing I would suggest is to have a list or preconceived notion of what you are looking for in a college. For example, I wanted a school that had smaller class sizes because that was what I was used to and felt would be the most conducive to my learning process. Secondly, if you do not have a major already picked out, try to choose a school that has a variety of majors that appeal to you. If you already have a particular career choice, make sure that the school is properly accredited. Furthermore, if you have a prospective candidate, I would also suggest scheduling a tour of the campus. Once enrolled, it is always important to keep in mind that although school does come first, you should always take time out for yourself (whether that be through reading or exercising or just hanging out with friends). College is more than just another schooling process; it is a once in a lifetime event that should be experienced to the fullest.

One drawback to HPU is the expenses. Since it is a private university, the tuition is higher than the state university. However, they do offer several different scholarship opportunities to help with the costs. But if you are unable to obtain these financial aids and finances are tight, then HPU may not be the right choice.

Jannel

My school is very diversed and allows it's students to be free as allowed.

My school is very diversed and allows it's students to be free as allowed.

The one thing I appreciate about my parents is how they allowed me to attend this school knowing that it is a private school as well as an expensive school. Follow your heart and your dreams is what I'd tell students/parents. Any college or university is good as long as the individual is happy being where they are. College is the icing on the cake to becoming an adult. It's the time to have some last childhood memories as the same time as learning to grow up. It's the time to find yourself and be the person you want to be and not what others want you to be. This is the time that you need to be you.

I really enjoy the fact that there's so many students from all over. I grew up in a military family so I am used to being around the whole diversity scene.

Patrick

Go and visit the colege and then talk to multiple students and take the consenus of all to get overall feeling behind the school.

The class sizes are small so you can get to know the teacher. This forces everyone in the class to understand the material.

My school is still really small so the social scene is close to non existant.

Marshall

I would advise parents to be more concerned about the environment of the school. I never realized what kind of school I was going to until I actually got there. The main thing is to choose a place were you know your kids will be happy and willing to succeed.

I wish I had known that it is very hard to balance the nursing major requirements with playing a sport. If I had known this I probably would have chosen another school that could better accomidate to me. I also wish that I had known that the school is located in the downtown business buildings of Honolulu. It barely even feels like a school campus most days.

That we have a good baseball team. The school is small so there is pretty good one on one time with professors. There is a pretty diverse racial population of people at the school. The student lounge is nice, as well as the library, and computer labs.

Blaine

Like the NIKE commercials JUST DO IT!!! At first I was really home sick, it just took me time to settle in and find my place amongst friends. Everyone in Hawaii is so nice and helpful. I also love how the students are very diverse in cultures, because there are many international students. I get to hear, taste and see some of these cultures first hand. They end up being good friends and acquaintances at the time I?ve been here at HPU.

People with bad attitudes should not attend this college. The locals are very friendly but just don't be ignorant because they will get angry. Trouble makers should not attend as well. Don't waste people's time and money if you?re going to act like a fool.

It is a very diverse place to learn and meet new people. The staff is quite fair, friendly and willing to teach. I get one of the best educations in the state of Hawaii and even though I pay a lot of my pocket I enjoy the hard work and sacrifice that I put in, to be in the position I am right now. The people I also meet and network with become long time friends and acquaintances.

Kyle

My classmates are uplifting and inspirational people and will always be there when I need help.

When looking for a school, I believe it is best to find areas that make you comfortable as well as areas that help push you to be the best you can be. It is best to find a college that will help you come out as a person, something that will truely make you experience college life and know your self better.

One of the most frustrating things about my school are the administration office and the dissorganization they have when dealing with students.

JENNIFER

MY ADVICE FOR PARENTS IS THAT THEY SHOULD GO WITH THEIR CHILDS WISHES IN ATTENDING A COLLEGE AND SUPPORT THEIR OPTIONS IN ATTENDING THEIR OWN CAREER BECAUSE IF THEY CHOOSE WHAT THEIR PARENTS WANT, THEY WOULDN'T SUCCEED IN EDUCATION AND LIFE. JUST BE HAPPY THAT YOUR CHILD HAS A SET GOAL FOR THEMSELVES AND MAYBE YOU CAN OFFER SOME PLANS BUT DO NOT PUSH THEM TO DO WHAT YOUR DREAMS ARE.

As for attending Hawaii Pacific University I realize that the school that I attend which to my best knowledge, there is no particular individual that are unwelcome to attend campus. The school is open to anyone of all ages and races, it all depends on the knowledge you have to offer to the school in their required system. Therefore, you can attend school as long as you have the knowledge and the motivation.

Amber

Everyone wants to succeed and we have lots of study groups to help each other out. Everyone is friendly and the classrooms are great for learning.

I think parents need to pick schools that are friendly and focus on the students needs. Hawaii Pacific University is able to do this by having smaller classes. Everyone feels close together and by the end of the semester you feel like family. It's great when you feel like you belong which increases your desire to do well. I am so happy to get my education at HPU and make life long friends as well.

Someone that wants to experience other cultures because so many people come from many parts of the world to attend Hawaii Pacific University.

Hawaii Pacific University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.