Hofstra University

« See more reviews of Hofstra University

very diverse

friendliness

The Wellness Center is very incompetent, at least in the experience of my girlfriend and I. On one occasion she asked specifically when making an appointment to see the one actual doctor there (who only comes in on Fridays, for some reason), and they ignored the request. She had made the appointment to switch prescriptions, but they gave her the same pills anyway, and on a separate occasion they couldn't give her the pills that they had prescribed because the prescription wasn't on file, even though she had the prescription that they had written. Besides these failures, the Wellness Center is closed on Sundays altogether and only open until 8 on every other day of the week. Also, Lackmann, the organization that provides food for Hofstra and other campuses, has horribly overpriced food for not that great quality.

The HUHC is excellent. The entire staff is extremely efficient in terms of time and responses, they strongly encourage students to get involved in HUHC activities and are extremely friendly. Usually Deans are intimidating but the HUHC Deans are some of the most approachable people I have ever met. The INHO work is great. I have learned more this semester doing my INHO's then I have ever learned during my time in college. In general I have learned more in 2 semester at Hofstra than I have learned at any other College or University. Hofstra gets an A ++

They are making a lot of the dorms freshman only, it sucks. The towers really need to be renevated, in the showers there are a lot of cracked tiles, as well as a completely rusty shower head, and the curtains are always falling down, its gross. Also, Hofstra loves to put too many people in a room. Freshman year i lived in a double room, with three people. I didn't have a desk or my own closet. This year I live in a single room as a double, I had to loft my bed to put my desk underneath, it is very cramped.

Hofstra is underrated. It is a much better school than long islanders give it credit for. Academically it is very good along with job prospects. Students do not always take full potential of either however. There are so many events going on and speakers. The administration needs to allocate more money to make it feel more residential and build more dorms while improving the old ones with a lower price tag for those residing in them. They are more expensive than they are worth.

I'd like to use this space to talk about how great I think HU Honors College is. HUHC provides a class that brings together all of the freshmen for two semester and introduces them to a varity of texts in the humanities and the social sciences. It helps to create an important community among the honors students, which is amplified by the fact that many of us live together in the Liberty/ Republic residence complex.

It has only be my first year at Hofstra. I am a person who enjoys going to school, however, I believe that Hofstra is just a great place to learn, that sometimes I wish I could be here longer than just four years. My first year has already gone by so fast, and I imagine the rest will fly by as well. However, I will try to make the most of my time here. There is definitely alot to gain, to learn, and to see.

Being a member of Honors College has really helped in making the transition into college. It gave me a good cross section of the school population that i could get to know before tackling the entire campus. They have great mentors that are always around to help and they are ALWAYS planning awesome and free trips for different broadway shows and baseball games and etc.

WRHU & the Honors College are amazing. They make this school what it is for me personally. And I know plenty of other people here who have their own thing(s), that they are passionate about, like I am about WRHU & The Honors College. It's all a matter of putting into something what you want to get out. If you do, you're going to be successful, and have fun with it.