Hofstra University

« See more reviews of Hofstra University

Sadly, yes. It seems to me that in all of my non-Honors classes there is a high population of idiots. I feel like Hofstra is more focused on raking in the big bucks than accepting a population of hardworking, smart individuals. If Hofstra gave out more scholarships to the upper half (academically) of its applicants I believe that we would get a much better name, and the stereotype of the Long Island Girls and Guidos would slowly disappear, because it is usually the girls in the Ugg boots and mini skirts with orange skin and too much make up that sit in classes still drunk from the night before that bring down the class average.

Not quite. There ae alot of people from Long Island, perhaps a third but probably not that high, most of the people you will meet will be from LI, upstate NY, Maine, Mass, Conn, Penn and especially NJ (both North and South). Surprising number of Californians too. Technically 10% of the population is Jewish, but it seems like alot more. STD isn't an higher than any other school, though Nassau County as a whole has the highest in the country. Why people care? I don't know, you'll get them if you get with the wrong people, just like anywhere else.

Absolutely not, if the entire school population was like this I would have transferred out a long time ago. Every school that you go to, you'll find someone who fits the above category (just maybe not specifically from Long Island). Hofstra has their fair share of the frat boys/sorority girls who care more about parties than school, but thats a very small percent. Most of the students here are indeed here to learn.

Obviously there are a lot of Long Island students, otherwise there wouldn't be that stereotype. But the truth is that the student body is very diverse, and from various parts of the country. You associate with whomever you want, and create the atmosphere for yourself that you find the most agreeable. And if truth be told, not all Long Islanders conform to the stereotype "loud, obnoxious, rich and spoiled."

Girls do dress nicely but some don't - i've been on college campuses way more preppy than hofstra. Some people are stuck up but some are not. Its a very diverse place. There are a ton of different people.

For some it is true, but for those that want to have more substance in their lives, Hofstra can be as academic as they want it to be, just like any other college.

Not at all. There is always something to do. If you can't find something to do you have to be walking around with you're eyes closed.

Ding Ding Ding...although, there are definitely diverse groups that have ntohing to do with these people.

That is actually not the case because a lot of people are going to school with loans or scholarships.

Yes and no, just like the real world, some people live up to the stereotypes but most do not