Hofstra University

« See more reviews of Hofstra University

The Academic aspect of our school really varies in quality with each teacher, as I think it does at all Universities. Most of my classes are small, allowing the teacher to know everyone and for the class as a whole to bond. I have one class that is slightly larger (around 30 people) in which the professor doesn't really know anyone and not too many people actually talk to each other. I'm in the honors college at Hofstra, meaning as a Freshman I take two specifically honors classes which are taught mostly by deans and other higher up professors who introduce you to many classic works which is definitely useful. My honors classes do tend to be a little more involved and insightful than my regular questions, but that doesn't mean that every class doesn't have many insightful people in them. Also, I'm a journalism major which is a fairly large department on campus. While I haven't started any of my actual journalism classes yet (as those typically are taken sophomore year on), the department has already been great to be involved with. With the Hofstra Chronicle and the Ed2010 club, it's easy to get involved with other people interested in your career on campus. Also, the journalism department is very encouraging of its students to get internships and is very helpful in doing so. The academic requirements, especially for people on scholarship are higher, but nothing that can't be accomplished with a fair effort. Hofstra definitely wants its students to get a well-rounded education, but it's also very, very career oriented, trying to make sure every student will have a job after graduation. Though there are definitely some professors that are generally lesser-liked by the student population, there are also many caring and passionate adults who are willing to help you succeed if you put in the work to do so.

I am a Fine Arts major. The professors within the Fine Arts department are really awesome. My focus is Ceramics, and the full time Ceramics professor is extremely talented and has work in the Metropolitan Museum of Art and MoMA (I think...). It's really inspirational to have such a talented professor. He makes classes very hands on and makes sure that we are using art as a form of expression. The Fine Arts department is fairly small, and so the students in the department are a close-knit group of people. We also have friends in other departments which can be very diversifying. I think that Hofstra's academic requirements are a less than they should be. I feel like some classes could include a lot more information/projects, but teachers are too relaxed about giving students extra time to work, when the students could get the work done if they just spent the entire class working. I think that the Fine Arts studio classes should be worth more than 3 credits because of the amount of time that the class is scheduled for. The in class time per week for a studio course is 4 hours, yet we only get 3 credits. I think this is an injustice, and thus lowers our quality of work.

My professors all know my name and still recognize me when I see them in the campus. My favorite classes are all english classes. I've also done an independent study which i loved a lot. Its hard to judge where you stand in grades b/c not all the kids are in the same major and its hard to see who is doing well and who isn't. I would have liked to have done better. Some classes are just hard mainly because of the professor. Although I do like hofstra, I have encountered many professors I do not like especially in the poli sci department including - Dudek, Himelfarb I also do not like Neil Donahue at all - he's horrible. I hate the language requirement. It makes me so stressed out. i am here about to graduate taking french 004, its unbelievable. They really should put less of an emphasis on it. Although it doesn't make me not want to go to the school it does make me hate my life for a little while each week. Its one of my biggest problems.

The school has fantastic teachers, great credentials, many published, and not just because of requirements of their professorship. But the students....to be quite honest, and mind you I'm a pretentious prick, they are on the whole, a bunch of dumbasses. There are exceptions to this - for example, Honors College (no surprise there), the business school (which is quite good - every one that comes out of there can make you pick your own pocket for them), the law school (which isn't REALLY part of school life) and the Drama/Music Deptarment. There isn't much of an art program to speak of. ALOT of people come here because of the money they get. The school is not hard to get into (unless you apply to their Graduate Law School), but wow, they give alot of money. Their endowment is tremendous, likely from sucking money out of LI JAP parent's (Jewish American Princesses). I don't mind, it's what's getting me through.

Well i think the only professor that knows me is my english teacher considering that i have had him for two semesters straight and its a very close nit class where he gets us involved. Class participation is very common on this campus and encouraged to help all students. I believe that when on campus conversations among the students are intellectual and relevant to the class most of the time. the most unique class i have taken i believe was philosophy intro class i reccomend it to everyone. I believe hofstra's requirements are actually pretty good, and also will provide the student with well-rounded knowledge of any field of interest. I believe it is a little bit of both that hofstra's academic classes are geared to help you learn but when in your major and line of interest then it starts to move to where you are looking at something related to the job that you are interested in.

The classes here are nicely sized, around 20 students a class. The teachers are all also very fantastic. They are very helpful in and outside of class. They always keep to their open hours and have your best interest at heart. Classes aren't an easy breeze, but teachers do everything they can to help you. Being a chemistry major, im in the chemistry/physics building a lot and i've really gotten to know the teachers well. They're a lot of fun to talk to outside of class. There are also some teachers, that i've encountered, that just intimidate the heck out of me because they are simply brilliant. Students here are competitive, but not to a dangerous degree. They would never try to make you do worse in order to do better. Everyone here is always helping others with what they dont understand.

Professors are wonderful. They know names and are available for help. I don't really have a favorite class; I enjoy all of them about equally. Class is class, but it is bearable. I am looking forward to taking classes in my major. I don't know much about it or the department yet, so I'm excited for that to happen. I think that it depends on what kind of students you spend your time with as to whether or not intellectual conversations occur. I would not say that students are extremely competitive. I feel like the education is geared equally toward getting a job and learning; getting a job coming later in the four-year experience. I feel the academic requirements are very managable, and am happy that we are now able to register for 18 credits.

Hopfstra has some really great programs, among them business, communications (film, broadcasting, journalism, etc), and political science. I hear we also have a good Education program for teachers-to-be. You really do get a liberal arts education, which is useful because it gives you skills like critical thinking and analytical reasoning. I would also say your writing develops a bit too. Honors College is especially great--the staff and professors are exceptional. Some honors classes are really tough, while others are just really really interesting. You will be doing some more writing if you're in the Honors College though, but it certainly won't kill you.

The classes are pretty small, about 25 students a class. The proffesors tend to learn you and because the classes are small, they are often discussion classes. The ideas often travel outside of class too. The school is competitive with a certain group. Like all colleges though, there are those who really really care and those who don't at all, with most right in the middle. The Communications department is pretty good, offering a lot of classes and good advisement. The requirements are not unreasonable but challenging, offering all you need to know for the fields while offering enough time just for learning.

My normal class sizes aren't any bigger than about 25 people, so you get the attention you need while being able to blend into the background on a bad day. There are alot of political conversations on campus, although most students don't seem very educated about the debates they get into. I've never spent time with a professor outside of class, but it wouldn't be out of the question. My most unique class has been my most recent major class, where I was able to direct my own productions after only a few weeks, and as a freshman, you're unlikely to find that possibility in other schools.