Howard University

« See more reviews of Howard University

So Howard Homecoming is the largest tradition on campus and also a national holiday. Howard is home to millions; like I said, when you come here, its family. The people you know are the people you grow old with, and homecoming is the time where you catch up with those you lost touch with and enjoy some of the flyest events. Homecoming may be one of those things we put entirely too much money into, but its all worth it. Homecoming is a week long. We have classes, but its one of those times some teachers excuse our regular absence. We have Fashion shows, an RnB concert (this year we hosted Tyreese, Monica, Avant, and other artists), Comedy Shows....everything. (check out www.whbc830am.com for reviews of our past homecoming). The largest and most memorable event is yardfest when thousands of people congregate on the yard to enjoy a free concert. The best thing is how all the clubs in the city have parties for us and its just a whole week of crazy fun!

Howard University is best known for over preparing its students for the corporate world. The university definitely prepares its graduates to attack the business world competitively and confidently. Even before students graduate, they are pushed to obtain an internship since greatness starts within Howard, not just afterwards. Howard has a reputation of sending its students across the world to study and work in countries that are beyond extraordinary. My school is best known for lifting its students up to experience opportunities that only a few are guaranteed to experience. Howard University prepares each student for anything that might come.

Our school is best known for producing successful business people. Our business school is nationally ranked with top companies as corporate sponsors. The business program is very intense and the students there receive wonderful oppurtunities. Some students on campus often refer to the business school as a cult because the students wear suits every Tuesday and Thursday and many wear them more often than that. Anytime a business student introduces themselves they all plug their information into a short outline given to them at orientation. I personally feel that these practices prepare them for the real world and insure success.

Howard University is known for its historical reputation, of producing numerous African Americans who make contributions to society. African Americans tend to be looked at as only athletes and entertainers, but Howard University breaks that mold. This university produces amazing businessmen, attorneys, and Doctors that contribute, not only in America, but all over the world. Howard University is known as the Mecca of black education, and lives up to its standard of excellence for all of its students. While holding on to its traditions, Howard University continues to advance its students towards excellence.

Howard University is best known for its legacy. I believe that the best and brightest students attend my school. Howard alumni (Phylicia Rashad, Ossie Davis, Thurgood Marshall, etc.) have achieved noteworthy success. In addition, five of the divine nine sororities and fraternities were established on Howard's campus (Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, Omega Psi Phi, etc). Howard is also home to the Moorland Spingarn Research Center which is one of the world's largest repositories for the documentation of the history of people of African descent. We are the future leaders of America and we make history.

My school is best known for their revolutionary acts against racism, and the misrepresentation of the black community, not just in the United States, but also abroad. Howard has a rich and heavy history. It is a historically Black University built to educate and gear great opportunity towards the black student, and it still does so today. Howard is always on the frontline when it comes to issues of descrimination amongst our people, and when any student enters Howard University's gates, they are instantly obligated to uphold the morals and character of great black men and women.

Howard University is best known for the extensive list of alumnus who have made a diffreence in the world in politics, literature and entertainment. These alumnus include: Elijah Cummings ( United States Congress), Adrain Fently (Washington D.C Mayor), Cheddi Jagan (Guyana President), Zora Neal Hurston (author and anthropologist), Omar Tyree (award winning novelist), Sean Combs (music producer), Richard Smallwood (gospel singer), Debbie Allen (dancer and actress), Phylicia Rashad (actress), Taraji P. Henson (actress) and Marlon Wayans (actor); just to name a few.

Howard University is best known for self-expression. On my campus, you will find people from all over the world and different walks of life. Everyone expresses themselves differently; however, we are all similar in so many ways. People express themselves through their way of dress, speech, and culture. Howard University has brought so many people together and allowed them to connect. On Howard's campus, students feel free which helps to alleviate the daily stresses that many of us may have in our lives. I couldn't have chosen a better university to spend my four years!

Howard is probably best known for its homecoming. Everyone remembers the line from Ludacris' song "and make sure I don't miss the homecoming at Howard," which put our homecoming even further in the spotlight. The whole street is basically blocked off during homecoming. People come from everywhere mostly for the parties and the inevitable celebrity sitings. Even people who have never attended the school show up. There's parties all weekend and celebrities literally all over campus. It's definitely something to experience at least once and people just keep coming back.

Howard University is best known for its distinguish alumni and long-lasting legacy. Formerly known as the "Mecca", Howard University is nothing short of its name. Founded in 1867 by Oliver Otis Howard, Howard University was the foundation of all African-American paintings, literature, and newsletters surfaced around the entire world and housed in the Moorland-Spingarn Research Center, which was located in Founder's Library on campus. If anyone ask or inquires about the university, everyone should begin answering with, "Only at the Mecca..."