Howard University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Howard University

Anaiya

My opinion of Howard university overall is that most teachers are extremely happy to help you whenever you need it and the classmates make a community and always help each other and the campus itself is so beautiful and spacious and its right in the heart of DC and surrounded by great food places.

Andrea

I first learned about Howard University, when a church friend showed up at my front door, telling me I should attend. From that point, my parents decided we should take a tour and when I did, I immediately knew, I was home. I grew up in Naperville and from the time I entered Junior High, I was constantly made to feel as though I didn't belong. I was weak and didn't know how to speak up for myself and justify my God Given brilliance. I believe my friend knew this about me and other African-American youth, who grew up isolated in PWIs. The best way for me to put my experience in words is to say, for the first time in my life, I was able to experience "black priviledge". Why? I was no longer the only smart African-American in the room. Truthfully speaking, I was less intelligent than most of the African-Americans, Africans and other international students who I sat beside in class. Howard is an unspoken gem, as are most of your HBCUs and that is why your HBCUs produce 80% of today's corporate professionals. The African students throw off the curve in most of your math and science classes because they are educated under a much more rigorous educational system. Thus, you have to work extremely hard to do well and I did. Since I left Howard, my life has been nothing but wonderful. I'm so proud to be a Bison and with all the lies and seed of racial injustice being sewn in our world, our students need to run to the HBCU, for they will be free there, to do the only thing they need to do at this time. "Learn and grow". For all of you who want to know the terrain, the area around HOWARD UNIVERSITY has been gentrified. It is VERY safe and fun, lots of cool and eclectic people all around. So should go and Enjoy!

Edelyn

Being apart of the Bison community has allowed me to open up in ways I never thought possible. I am at a university with people who look like me. Everyday there is a debate about current world problems and everyone is so respectful. The professors are so sweet and I promise they want to see us succeed. I love my fellow bisons!

Kymasi

Howard can be very lonely if you don't find your crowd. I'd suggest coming prepared to spend a lot of time alone, because it can be hard to form connections, especially if you're an introvert or you don't like going to events a ton. It can be suffocating being in the city surrounded by people all the time. It's really helpful to find activities that you enjoy that you can turn to to refresh, since the social life and academics can be immensely draining.

Jordan

I have a "love/hate" relationship with Howard University. There is definitely some people who are super involved and love everything about Howard and for the rest of us, we're just trying to graduate. Howard administration makes it hard for students to continue because they often don't have answers to the questions we have. If you are provided with answers, it may or may not be accurate. Howard has been known to have some money issues but they are trying to keep the school in it's best condition. There is construction on one of the upperclassmen dorms and the cafeteria. However, the construction is causing a strain on the students because there isn't enough on campus housing for everyone. With the new construction on the cafeteria, that means there will only be one main cafeteria for the whole student body. Food at Howard is subpar but there are good days. I've had my fair share of poor teachers but I have met some really dedicated teachers. The dedicated teachers really outweigh the bad. You can usually find the more dedicated teachers in your major classes. The majority of the Howard student body is active in at least one club and organization. There is always new clubs popping up and it is popular to create a club if there isn't one you are looking for. The school does have visitation policies but they are becoming more modern with it. This past year we updated the policy to be 24-hours with a student ID.

Carmin

I love my HBCU and I will be proud to name myself an alumna of Howard University come May 2018. My experience at Howard taught me so much about resilience and tenacity, as I fought every year to remain financially cleared. Being surrounded by socially/culturally-aware students, who prided themselves in scholarship, pushed me to allow my merit to reflect my work ethic. It is because of my time spent at Howard University that I am now an advocate for global education, having traveled and interned at some of America's leading companies. Moreover, since attending HU, I have nurtured my love for community outreach and volunteering. While the journey was nowhere near easy, I do not believe I would have benefitted as much as I have at any other university.

Aubrey

Howard University was a new and exciting experience for me. I have been exposed to many different cultures and ways of life. I have made friends from all over the country and we each share the common trait of wanted to be very successful in our fields of study. The campus life is fun and I couldn't ask for anything better.

Charles

Howard University is great institution with a lot of valuable opportunities for students. Howard alumni are successful people all over the world.

Austin

Howard is an environment that pushes you to thrive to be the best you. Being surround by other black and educated people provides a sense of home and growth. Although the school has its downfalls in certain areas, there is always something that just makes up for it. Howard University is what you make it and you can make it anything you want!

Imani

Howard University is a great school to attend. There is truly no school like ours in regards to the environment the students provide. You are free to do what you want, dress how you like, and discover whatever you can. The elite students are what make the school. The structure and organization of the school is very poor, but the experience is like no others. Truly black excellence here in regards to the students, their work ethic, and their goals/aspirations.

Briana

Howard University is the greatest HBCU, however it does have it's shortcomings. There is an overwhelming sense of community and love surrounding the campus. School spirit is huge and to the point that when you find out that another person went to Howard you're automatically friends. Administration could you a lot of work, but overall the people I've met and the things I've learned have changed my life for the better. If I could go back to the college decision and choose again I would pick Howard all over again.

Fortune

It is a place where you can be yourself and still thrive to be better. The social life allows people to increase their confidence and grasp what they feel will be beneficial to their success. We open our doors to the community because without a community you can not create a home. Overall Howard University provides individuals with the support, academia, facilities, and services to be all that you can be.

I LOVE VISITING

Indeea

Howard University is the place to be. #HU #YOUKNOW

Nyelle

howard is a great school and reminds me of home but at the same time so far away which I love! touring the college is great you get the best energy. depending on the person you are there's something for every kind of person. Howard is right in the city , the heart and soul so everything is right at the tip of your toes.

Dominique

The positive aspects of this school are most definitely the school spirit and the on-campus clubs and activities. If you're from Howard, you automatically make that connection with another HU student or alum. The bond between Bison is as strong as super glue. There are also more than 20 groups and organizations on campus where many people can find a place to belong or do something they enjoy. The negative aspects of the school are the academics, dining, administration/staff, "late" culture, and lack of diverse thought. Most of the teachers do not teach well, forcing you to learn the material yourself and hoping that you get those test questions right. The cafeteria is horrible. I am a vegan and there is a greater variety than at the beginning of the year, however the selection is still very narrow. Even non-vegans on campus complain how horrible the food is (not to mention the ridiculously expensive meal plan prices). Getting anything done with financial aid and registration is difficult because either the staff doesn't know what they are doing or they take a very long time to get the task finished. There's also a campus-wide habit of being late to events, so I always have to deal with the awkwardness of arriving on time only for everyone else to show up 10 minutes later. Finally, it seems like there is no diverse opinion here. Everyone hates white people (although they would never admit to it) and they only see there problems caused by "institutional racism" or being a woman. Overall, despite the fact that there are more negatives than positive, I only rated HU three stars because this experience is what I make of it. I am telling myself that this school needs me for improvement. I need to be the change that I want to see.

Kiara

Howard is known as the Mecca of HBCUs and I believe it lives up to it's name. Not only are the academics phenomenal, but the student life is great as well. There is always something to do or a function to attend. The sense of community and family is so strong, and that's very important.

Diana

The Howard experience is all about culture. Coming here you will find yourself and discover so much about yourself, especially if you are black/ African american in some way. The cultural aspect of the school is definitely what stands out. Being from a foreign country and having a different cultural background is cherished and put on a high pedestal here. You will see people from places you have never heard of, speaking languages you did not even know existed. The people here are so friendly, you meet and speak to different people everyday whether you are an introvert or an extrovert and people are very quick to help here. The main issue with Howard is the administration. Going to the financial aid office is a nightmare, you are guaranteed to have to stay in line for at least and hour and even after you do speak with someone your issue will probably not be solved. You will learn how to be very independent here and learn how to do things for yourself like actively go out and looks for jobs or internships because you will not get much help from the school at all. Overall the atmosphere is my favorite part of Howard, will I stay here for all four years? We will see.

TajaniQue

Howard is a great University! There is a specific culture. However, once you adapt and find your niche, there's so many opportunities. There is nothing you can't do here! It's a fantastic learning environment. Whatever you are interested in, you can find someone else who likes the same activities.

Nia

Howard is great place for people to learn and grow. You'll meet great professors, have interesting classes and make life long friends, but there are still a lot of things that the university still needs to improve on.

Torres

Howard University is a mixed bag of amazing, once-in-a-lifetime opportunities and downright shameful conditions. Follow these tips and you'll love your Howard experience. You're in for a world of hurt otherwise. The pros: Students - Around the whole I'd have to say that the average Howard student is highly intelligent. You will be hard-pressed in your endeavor to locate those of lesser intellect. Granted, there are always a few bad apples out of every bunch. However, this "bad-apple" analogy is a generality that could and should apply to any demographic/ group; not just our students (who are great all-around). Expect metaphysical discussions. Kick-backs where you discuss the latest trends and the plight of being black in America. Group projects weren't bad at all as everyone usually has something of merit to contribute. Food - I'll be honest, I had no trouble with the food at all. You'll hear mixed reviews on the food but let's be real: food-quality as an issue is quite first-world. I was glad to have food to eat. The breakfast and soul-food Thursdays are personal highlights. Also, the surrounding area has a vast majority of restaurants from various cuisines (shout-outs to Ho-chi...Dandy's... Ho-chi again.). The nearest grocery store, the Giant at Columbia Heights isn't far away (I think it's one metro stop away). Food shouldn't be a concern of any prospective student. You aren't there to eat filet mignon. Read a book. Extracurricular Activities - Howard has a plethora of extracurricular activities. I took part in school theatre productions. Greek life is HUGE on this campus. If Greek life is your thing, you'll feel right at home. There are many sports teams as well. Start training now if you haven't already. Them jokers are talented as hell, and you will lose if you are not ready. Also, the party/ club scene is alive but that's all I can say about it. Professors - The majority of HU's professors are very passionate and learned in their respective fields. Having said this, the incoming freshman would be wise to utilize "rate-my-professors" from day one. It was the Oracle back when I was there. Hopefully it still is. Rate My Professors was one of the few things I could truly rely on back in those days. Avoid the bad eggs. Don't take Ian Smart if you actually want to learn humanities. Use Rate My Professors. Cons - What most might consider cons, others can handle without issues. Having stated this, here are things to keep in mind. Funding - Like most institutions, Howard is currently struggling financially. I mean damn is she strapped for cash or what? I interviewed teachers who had to purchase paper to print their syllabi and what the hell is a matriculation fee? Why am I getting the run-around if I'm paying for matriculation services? I don't care if other schools are going through similar conditions, but we're talking Howard University. It's sad when you have professors as genius as Dr. Carr (shout outs) having to deal with the same BS as the rest of the students. Being black 101 - you make the most with what you have. It is what it is. Admin - This may or may not go hand-in-hand with funding but ask ANY HU grad and they will tell you: Admin is some ish. It is what it is. If you did not get the Howard run-around at least once, if Bisonweb didn't fail when you needed to register for that one class that would have kept you on track, if you did not wait in line for at least 3 hours only to be told that you're in the wrong spot only then to be told the "right" spot thus introducing you to the aforementioned Howard run-around then you just did not go to my Howard because that's sure as hell where I went. Location - For better or worse HU is located in the heart of NW dc. Be smart. Be vigilant. Don't floss by yourself at midnight and you should be just fine. Also, if you don't know what flossin' means, especially when you can just consult the all-knowing urban dictionary, then you probably shouldn't go to Howard. Maybe GW. So yea there's my review. It is what it is. It's my belief that Howard University is a great institution, it just needs to focus a little more on its weak spots. I often wonder if they intentionally make basic endeavors difficult to prepare us for the "real world". I just know that if I can make life work with HU administration then I can make it work anywhere. So to recap: 1) Make new friends and treat them with respect and brothers, treat the ladies with even more respect. 2) Consume the foods you enjoy that you can afford. 3) Take the great classes with the great professors (Google "rate my professors"). 4) Decorate your dorm to your liking and keep it clean. 5) Don't let admin get you down. 6) Be smart when you're out in DC whether you're alone or in a group. Do these things and you will have an amazing HU experience. -2012 Alum. *howard-hand

Chelsea

Howard definitely has its sour spots, but this is a school/environment like no other. The Howard experience is so amazing that it kinda overshadows all the negatives of the school. You get to meet people from al over the world/country that all have different ways of thinking and looking at the world, but are all willing to come together to share their thoughts and opinions and enact change in our community.

TYRESSE

I think that Howard is a good college based on my visit in april 2016. The students we're great, the teachers , the workers we're friendly, I,m surely looking forward to applying for this school. It wass worth going to visit Howard because i felt how it is to be a alumni at Howard University.

Carlee

What can I say about Howard University? Well, it’s called “the Mecca” for a reason. The moment you step on to the campus, you feel like you’ve found the place you’ve been searching for your entire life; you feel like you’re home. The food may not be the best, but depending on where you live you may be able to cook for yourself. The professors are generally pretty amazing and the opportunities and experiences available are, in my opinion, unmatched. I have learned SO much about myself, my ancestors, and my history. Honestly, the administration is not the best, but they have gotten better throughout my matriculation; most of them actually DO want to help you and you will sense that. As for housing, the two newest dorms (College Hall North and South) are the nicest in terms of amenities and the older dorms are renovated throughout the semesters and summer periods as needed.

Kyle

Howard University is a great school. Despite Howard being a historically black college, it is very diverse. There are students from all 50 states and a plethora of countries. Howard's motto is "In truth and service" and you can definitely see that service is a huge part of the award community. I am a proud student of Howard University and hope that the school continues to thrive for years to come.

Isis

I love the experience that I had at Howard University because I rarely find myself feeling "othered" as I have felt at predominantly white institutions. With so many people from different places you are bound to learn about different cultures. There are also many students groups including an LGBTQIA+ group and if you have not found the group you are looking for you can easily make it.

Asia

Howard provides a great education and plenty of opportunities. You will have an amazing time at Howard. The downside is the housing and the buildings because they are old.They have new housing but I believe it is for freshman and sophomores only. You have to stay on top of your game and keep proof of everything because they are sometimes unorganized. Also funds are limited so apply for scholarships vigorously at least by sophomore year of high school. Howard stills offers a lot of culture and you will have a blast there. There are a lot of networking opportunities and if you take care of business you should be successful in the future. There are also a lot of leadership programs and clubs you can participate in such as student council, pagaents, study abroad, Film organizations, mentor programs and more. Make sure you have a stable financial plan for all four years, score well on the SAT or ACT, get as much scholarship money as you can and that will take away a lot of stress away if you go to Howard and any other school! Overall Howard provides a great experience as long as you work hard, take advantage of all opportunities and have the funds to pay for it outside of what they may give you! Apply for scholarships throughout your college years not just before because they may award you less the next year. I kept a high GPA and this happened to me so I am just preparing you. Good luck!

Aujee

Howard University is a great place to be, it has helped me understand not only myself more but other people as well. I would'nt want to attend any other college.

Sharina

I love Howard, there isn't any other school that I could see myself at! Howard is such a welcoming community and everyone is really friendly. It is a small school, but the perfect size. You are constantly meeting new people, but there are a lot of familiar faces.

Anjel

Howard University is what you make. Everyone whom has come and graduated here will all have something different to say about this institution. However, so far for me I love this place. I have met so many people from all over the world with all different perspectives having me learn to accept and appreciate others views and I also learned so much about myself socially, culturally, and spiritually. This establishment has been here for over 100 years and it has definitely change since it opened in 1867. However, it has no change in a sense that people attend this place to come in one way and come out successful and ready to change the world.

Daijon

Entering my first year at Howard, I have had fun, educational, and challenging experiences. Howard University is not just one of the most popular historically black colleges, but it is also a culture. Its motto “Truth and Service” is a key part of the identity that the culture holds. As a student, I learned how to handle several administrative and financial issues on my own without the help of my family. I also learned how to balance my social life with my academics and understood that I have to handle my business before my pleasures. Attending an HBCU also meant networking with other black students who want to help you achieve your goals. Aside from academics and personal challenges, I enjoy what Howard has to offer. Our annual homecomings, our football games, our Soul Food Thursdays, and our First Fridays are some of the key components that also make Howard enjoyable.

Fahria

Howard University is continuously ranked as one of the top Historically Black Universities in the United States. There is a sense of family on campus, and I love that. Being a student at Howard is something that I wouldn't give up for the world. I see the world differently and I love the people on campus. There's a feeling that only Howard can give you, and it's amazing. With that being said, administration isn't the best. I think it's a work in progress, so as long as you know what you need, you should be fine. Nothing is perfect and Howard certainly isn't, but it's a great school.

Marcus

Howard University is an elite Historically Black University that provides a nurturing community for any African-American student, while also providing a wealth of positive learning experiences for it's students. Overall I've found Howard to be nothing but positive to my growth as an individual.

Allie

I like my university but that's primarily because it's an HBCU and I haven't had an opportunity to be in anything other than a primarily white space but other than that Howard isn't anything special. I think I would be just as happy at Spelman or Morgan, maybe even more so because Howard administration is terrible to deal with; Although, you can't beat the location. DC is a good place to live other than it being expensive, way more opportunities compared to back home.

Dajae

Howard University is a great school overall. There are some kinks in areas such as administration, appearance, and other things but I feel like that is somewhat balanced out by the amount of culture and knowledge that you are able to get simply by walking outside. In terms of administration, sometimes it just takes some time and running around to different people to get things squared away, but once you find that one right person to talk to then you are basically set for the rest of your time and whatever else you need, which I'm sure is true of many universities. Then, on the pro side, we have several intelligent and successful people here, not only referring to faculty/professors, but students as well. The people and educational experience along with all of the fun and enriching opportunities is what makes Howard University worth it for me.

Tyler

It's a college, it has some stuff a lot of people are looking for, and it has some stuff you might not be looking for but may find yourself interested in. Personal it has a lot that I don't care for, but many people love. I like to just soberly hang out and be easy.

Dahlya

I love my school, don't get me wrong. But there's a lot that needs to be fixed on campus- buildings, both dorms and academic, have issues with flooding, mold, rat infestation, etc. By buildings I mean not one or two, but literally most of them. And don't get me started on the issues with admin and financial aid. It's like they don't even care about the students.

Briana

Howard University is a school based on heritage, culture and identity. The personal experience and culture shock you feel when you get here is amazing. It's an amazing place to learn about history, and how to engage with various people.

merdie

Howard University is committed to serving students from under represented communities. Howard faculty work very hard to meet student needs. Although not perfect, it produces some of the brightest and best professionals in the world. I love Howard U.

Monica

I'm a freshman and got here in early August. So far it's been an amazing experience. I love how there's always something to do on campus and I'm never bored. Inspiring well known people are on campus every other week not to mention the homecoming we just had. Long story short Howard Homecoming is not something you want to miss. Food is better than I thought it would be and there are several other options than just the cafeterias. Administration needs work because it takes forever to get a simple answer. The financial aid office needs to get more organized because between fighting for my scholarship during my first week, I've had a rough time and I know lots of other students have too. I love the school so far and can't wait to spend the next four years here.

Ayanna

Howard University is on overall amazing university although right now the entire school seems to be struggling. They do not live up to expectations​

Nia

Its the people that make coming to Howard worthwhile. Majority of the faculty is keen on helping students out inside and outside the classroom which is greatly appreciated by most students. The administration needs major improvements and the dormitories are in desperate need of upgrades.

victoria

Overall, Howard University is a pretty good school and like any other school it has its positives and negatives, but there isn't any other school I'd rather attend. There are so many opportunities and many notable alumni available for contact, you're almost guaranteed a job/internship outside of here.

Jazz

I love Howard! It's always been my dream school of course not every school is perfected Howard are aware of our concerns about the student conditions. It's a great institution for every student not just the Black student in America!

Do no come here unless you get a scholarship

Imani

In an effort to figure out my career path, I took courses that were outside of my comfort zone. I took Fashion Marketing, Wall Street, Business Law, and Principles of Marketing and Advertising to name a few. I excelled in each of these classes, winning an award for a Wall Street competition. But more importantly, I enjoyed them, they quickly became my favorite classes. I developed a strong interest in consumer behavior and how the market responds to their trends. Each class unlocked a new skill and strengthened my passion for business. My teachers saw that I had a knack for business and encouraged me to join our school’s DECA and Business Olympics business clubs. These clubs were fun and gave me real world business experience. My Business Olympics team proposed a fundraising event for cystic fibrosis research. We decided on a silent auction and worked collaboratively to gain sponsors, secure a venue, and advertise the event to ensure it would be profitable. In DECA I've written job pitches, elevator speeches, interned with local companies, and engaged in business competitions. Not only did I enjoy these projects, but I was great at leading and executing them. The business clubs helped to solidify my decision to make business marketing my career choice. I have developed a love for business marketing and have demonstrated that I am highly skilled at it. I am on track to receive the New York State Business Honor Society Mastery of Business Achievement distinction for the work that I’ve done in class, in clubs, and in the community. Through my discovery journey, business marketing has become the space that I can explore the different facets of who I am. It takes advantage of my analytical and creative sides. I have developed strong presentation, leadership, and project planning skills and am looking forward to continuing to expand these studies at Howard. I am also looking forward to continuing my real world business experience through the partnerships that Howard has with various corporations.

kiana

Howard University, the renown HU is a campus full of opportunity and excellence. In spite the difficulties getting in contact with certain facilities and below-standard on-campus dining and freshman housing, the university is essentially great. Professors value student success and do all they can to ensure no one is left behind. Being originally from a smaller town, the bigger city scene is incredible but can be overwhelming at times, so it is definitely beneficial having nice people on-campus to go places with you or instruct you on how to get from point A to point B. All in all, academically, I think Howard University does an excellent job at keeping students busy and giving them opportunities for success in whatever career field they may be pursuing, even freshman. Socially, the school is filled to the brim with a plethora of cultures, people from all walks of life. This is part of what makes the university so great, the diversity. Our differences, I believe are what bring us together as students and help us to make connections/learn more about different cultures. Howard University is ultimately a great school where there is always room for personal success so long as you stay focused.

Marla

My overall opinion of Howard University is its diversity. Its tuition is is too high for what the university offers, and professors need to be regularly avaiable. However, I still think it's a great school because of its location near the White House and the many job opportunities and offers students receive.

Ameerah

A school where everyone is accepted as family and there is an over all sense of togetherness. It is a school where people will meet life long friends along with having one of the most college unique experiences. Also, it is in a great location-- D.C. The world is your oyster!

Howard offers many opportunities. There are so many events held for networking or meeting popular influencers/celebrities. There are a large number of organizations to join and events to attend. Howard does a good job of providing job fairs and resume training. The campus is always very lively. Especially in the spring with events like SpringFest, Resfest, probates, tours, etc.