Howard University

« See more reviews of Howard University

What is unique about my school in comparison to others that I had considered is that it is an HBCU. I am able to experience a rich culture and tradition. Also, it is in the heart of Washington, DC and allows me to explore our nations capitol and meet people from all over the world.

Make sure you talk to students and professors about what Howard is really like before you decide to attend. The admissions committee will present a "package" to you on open house days, but Howard is not all it claims to be and it is not for everyone.

My school was founded in 1867 and trained individuals to help those in the South to become education during the times were Blacks were not allowed or discriminated against educationally. The founder was also the founder of the Freedman Bureau.

What maked Howard unique is the fact that the curriculum is set up in a way that allows its students to find their identities and question their role in society. Howard does a great job at inspiring its students to go out and make a change.

My school is very artistic and encourages individuality. Some may not seem redicent to accept other people based on their differences, but looks are deceiving at this campus and most people have a very open mind and think practically.

It's an Historically Black University in an urban setting with access to other traditional schools in the area. The students are very diverse and offers you the chance to expand your horizons, find yourself, and develop new interests.

How incredibly dirty, ghetto, resourceless, unorganized, unprofessional, uncoordinated, etc it is. But, at least there's always something going on, even if parties do get shut down because of gun shots. Nope. Never a dull moment.

Howard is THE Historically Black College/University. It has paved the way for many, many blacks. It is the "capstone" for Negro education. It's not a University that is easily described, it is something that one must experience.

Howard University is one of the elite HBCU's in the country. What makes it unique is that there are students from all walks of life and different parts of the world, but they all have the common goal of attaing a higher education.

One unique aspect about Howard University that propelled me to come to Howard is the fact that it is an HBCU and has an amazing list of alumni who acheived great things during and after their time here at Howard.