Howard University

« See more reviews of Howard University

One thing that I appreciate about Howard is their emphasis on understanding where you come from and African-American history. Some of the best classes that you take may not even be in your major, and I would encourage you to explore as many as you can. As with any school you get teachers who really care about your education and you as a student. These are the teachers that make a big deal about you coming to class on time, turning in your homework, offer extra sessions for you to understand the subject, etc. You also get those who appear not to be concerned about the value of your education. It's not unique to Howard. You will find that at any school.

Howard is known as a academic school so it would be a understatement to say that the howard admin takes academics very seriously. Howard will kick you out in a heart beat if your messing up with classes. So try to keep your gpa up there so that you won't be faced with that problem. I have to say that there are some great professors here who will truly inspire you that it is possible for you to do great things. I actually recommend reading rate my professor.com before picking your classes. It will give you all the dirt on the professor and help you to pick the class thats right for you.

There are 7,000 undergraduate students. Most classes are relatively small. The 15:1 student teacher ratio is very accurate. Your professors will know you by name & not your student number. Although every professor teaches differently, you can expect open dialogue in a lot of your classes. I took an Education in Black America class taught by Dr. Carr (probs one of the best professors on campus). We spent every class going over the works of WEB DuBois, Booker T. Washington and the founders of HBCUs. John Legend even provided a guest lecture.

No matter the class or subject, black history will some way be incorporated. The classes are usually 20-35 students and the professors know your name. Talk with other students and use online review websites to help you choose classes and professors. Try to stay away from TBA professors. All of my professors in the past have been accessible through e-mail or during their office hours for extra help in the class. Some professors really try to structure the class for "learning for its own sake" but many students make it about receiving the A.

Howard University has a lot of great professors. I've only had one bad professor in my two years at the school, but I got an A in the class (Political Science). A lot of my professors encourage class participation by starting excellent debates and discussions. Sometimes we wouldn't even have a lecture because the discussion got so good. I'm studying film production and so far all of my professors in the Communications department have been great. They're all very knowledgeable and passionate about the art. They are also very accessible.

The academics at Howard are outstanding. In my school, the College of Engineering, Architecture, and Computer Sciences, the curriculum is very challenging. The professors work with you only as well as you work with them. Most of them are willing to communicate with you on a one-on-one basis in order to help you learn and understand the coursework. I believe that the education at Howard is geared toward getting a job. The university holds Career Fairs in which students approach representatives from their possible career choices.

Professors know your name and are involved in making you a better student and person. Class participation depends on how the professor engages students. Students do have intellectual conversations outside of class. Students are very competitive with grades and internship opportunities. I'm a marketing major and dance minor and it has been very interesting. Education is geared to success, in whatever endeavor one chooses.

Professors know your name for the most part, not so much in large lecture classes Favorite class, Anatomy. least favorite Organic Chemistry 1 studying depends on how many days you want to party, some people start on thursday students constantly have intellectual conversation, we are very opinionated students hustle for everything, we always compete My major is sports Medicine and I love it

Do not let any of the rumors fool you about Howard being a party school. The same people you see in the club are the same people in the library and by the end of the year are walking out with a 4.0 GPA. We WORK hard for our grades and the professors rarely cut us any slack. Majority of these professors have their Ph.D and they treat us like we are getting ours. Be prepared!

The professors know they're students names and that is a definite plus. My favorite class is social theory and society and my least favorite was algebra. Class participation is very common and it really shows the competiveness of the students in those classes.