Howard University

« See more reviews of Howard University

I wish I had known how important the competition at the school was. Of course at every school there is competition, but the competative drive of students at Howard cannot be compared to any other. You must come ready. Students at this school are determined to be successful, with an "any means necessary" attitude, which can be overwhelming in the beginning. Though, as a matriculating student, you quickly get used to the atmosphere. One becomes just as dominearing as the rest, and the assertion one acquires, actually accentuates your individuality, therefore setting you apart from others in the best way.

I can't believe no one told me about the cockroaches in DC, especially in Howard University's buildings, and especially ESPECIALLY in Howard University's Dorms. Cockroaches, mice, rats, etc. All things the typical Howard student must deal with, aside from unorganized paperwork concerning grades, financial payments, and all things of importance. Oh and who can forget the smell of weed in every building, especially the dorms, at ALL times. Music blasts at 3:00am. Absolutely no rules are followed! NONE! HELL! THAT'S WHAT HOWARD IS! HELL; THE VERY UNDOING OF YOUR FUTURE! HEED THESE WORDS!

Before attending Howard, I wish I would have learned better time management. In college, time is valuable, and whether I am socializing with friends or attending mandatory business team meetings, I find myself at a loss for time when it comes to tending to homework. There are limitless activities on campus that consume my time, and time management is the most difficult college aspect to handle personally. However, by setting aside a specific time and place for me to study, and abiding by it, I not only have time for only homework and studying, but a social life with friends.

I never contemplated a set career goal once entering college. My main focus, once graduating high school, was to enter a college/university (Howard University) and pick an easy major once I found something definite. Now that I'm beginning my third year at Howard, I still have not realized a thought out career goal and any objectives leading to that specific idea. All high school seniors who are planning to attend any college should definitely make sure that your goals and plans are planned out accordingly and it will make your college experience even easier!

The main thing I wish I had known about going to college in general is how much college actually costs. Everything, not just the tuition, meal plans, and housing, but also the little stuff such as, the laundry expenses, book expenses EACH semester, especially if you're in the sciences. I also wish that counselors and universities would do a better job of using the word FINANCIAL AID, they should really say FINANCIAL OPPROTUNITY, if you qualify! Not off of a need base but if and only if you or your parents can guarnatee their money back!

Before I went to Howard University, I wish I would have realized how much sacrifice both my family and I would make. Upon graduating high school my main goal was to get into a well known four year university. I did not consider the financial strain I would be under nor did I consider how stressful living out of state can be. I soon realized this when both my grandparents suddenly became ill and unfortunately my grandmother passed away. Finally I would have done more research on Howard University to make sure it was the right fit for me.

I wish I had known how hard it is to finance college. As a student that is barely making ends meet due to the price of tuition, and low financial aid awards, I find that it is easy to become financially overwhelmed and burdened due to the sticker price of a private university such as Howard. I wish that someone would have forced and pressed the importance of finding scholarships and grants so that the majority of financial obligations could be taken care of, and so that as a student I would better be able to focus on my schooling.

Before I attended Howard University, I wish I would have known more about the community. Howard is located in Washington, D.C., which was quite different from where I am originally from, Dallas, TX. The city and the school has more hustle and bustle than my hometown of Dallas. It took quit a while to get use to. I also would wish I knew about the problems of the Financial Aid building. There were many times when I was quite unsatifised with the information/help I was given and the waiting process.

I am completely happy with the choice I made in attending this univiersity. It has created an entirely unique learning enviorment that not only gives a student of color tools to to have a brighter future but helps us thrive in the carreers we have chosen. I ony wish someone would have told me how drastically my life would change after attending only one semester at Howard University. I look athe world so differently now; I strive to an active part in the community rather than looking from the sidelines.

I wish I would have known that my professors were not going to baby me and hold my hand just because I was in a new enviroment. Foolishly, I was stuck in the high school mindset; I thought that if I did bad my teachers would show mercy on me because I was new. Instead, now I know that teachers will help you, when asked, but they will not do anything to cripple you or your educational experience. I wish I would have known all of that before school started, it would have saved me a world of trouble.