Howard University

« See more reviews of Howard University

Before I came to college, I wish I had known that the workload in college is much more difficult than in high school. I knew that college would be a little challenging but I definitely under estimated the workload that I would receive. Had I known that college would be this strenuous, I would have prepared myself in high school by practicing good study habits and routines. I had never developed a study habit that works well for me until I came to college because in high school it was not necessary.

My home state is approximately 800 to 900 miles away. This means I flew toDC when I started school. My baggage allowance, like everyone knows, is very limited when flying. I wish I had known that there were no supermarkets or retail stores within the area, so anything that I needed to purchase that I did not bring with me on campus I had to travel a distance to buy them. Also, I wish I had known how costly text books are. I later discovered that an alternative to purchasing textbooks is renting.

Before I came to this school, I wish that I would have known more about the African American diasphora as a whole. I am learning so much that I dont know about, simply because I come from a place that is focused more on diversity, rather than getting to know the person that I look at in the mirror everyday. It just appauls me to know so little about my ethnicity, however, I am glad that I have the opportunity to be educated on a level that contains no bias at all. In the classroom we are all one.

Before I'd come to this school I wish that I would have know how much like high school it is socially. People made groups of friends pretty quickly and once they made those friends most people did not really look for friendship outside of those group. The key to success is to be socially with people even if they are not the type of people you normally associate with. The people that you know are how find opportunities and connection. If you don't know many people being success is a lot harder.

Being from Texas, I didnt really know how far the distance between Washington, DC and Houston was. Once I realize that I couldn't come home when I wanted to or come home for Thanksgiving, I said to myself that I wish I would have known about the didtance before I came to Howard. Another thiing I wish I would have know is the weather. Im use to the summer sun all year around, but when I came to DC, the summer sun actually went way when summer ened and the snow begin to fall. I hate being cold.

I wish I would have known the many resources this school offered. My freshman year I dealt with the death of my grandmother in NY and my tuition money was spent on her funeral. It was both a stressful and depressing time for me and I wasn't fully focused on school which caused my grades to slip and ultimately my academic suspension. I since spent time at a neighboring school maintaining a 3.5 or better GPA and returned to school. I wish I knew about the counseling and emotional leave options.

I really wish I would have taken the opportunity to look for more scholarships and other sources to pay for my education. At Howard, I have grown to learn that it is not who you are and what you do that can open the doors of opportunity. It is all about who you know that can even give you that first step to success. With that being said, I wish I had a strong network or would have chose Howard as my first choice in order to gain financial aid that I would not have to pay back.

Before I came to Howard University I wish I would have known how important it was to created a strong, stable foundation for yourself. This includes a mindset that will not allow you to deter from having a healthy mental state and that will allow you to focus on the reason you're in school, which is to get an education. At times you will feel overwhelmed and like you have lost all control. Take a second to breathe and remind yourself that you are great. You will be fine.

Before coming to Howard University I would have liked to know anout the application process a bit more. I can the first in my family to attend college and I did not know about applying to colleges. When I applied I thought scholarships were just handed to you; administration would look at your application and then say hey this is how much I will give you. But that is not how it works. If I would have known that back in 2007 I would have submitted scholarship applications.

I wish i would have known the administration (financial aid & student accounts) was terrible. I also wish I would have known that the campus and its surrounding areas are relatively unsafe; there is a current average of about 1-2 robberies per week (some have even occuered in broad daylight!) . I also wish that I would have known that campus housing is unavailable to most students after freshman year and that off-campus housing is extremely expensive and hard to find.