Ithaca College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Ithaca College

Scott

While Ithaca College boasts some outstanding features, such as a world-renowned communications school that houses a variety of excellent programs including film, journalism, and others, it boasts little else. The campus has some nice structures and amenities, but not much. The food service on the meal plan is awful, so be prepared to use those bomber bucks and your own money on the food offered at places on campus you'll have to pay for.

Kendall

Ithaca College is a great school to attend, the professors are very helpful and there's always something going on, on campus. Since it is a liberal arts college, it is very diverse and most people are open to conversations about what is going on in the world today. You learn to appreciate different cultures and different opinions as well.

Ally

Ithaca College has become my home this last year. I haven't had one professor that I didn't love and I know that I have learned a lot from them. There are so many things to be involved in and I'm grateful for the connections I have made here already! Truly a place I love and appreciate.

Jaclyn

The Ithaca College administration sucks and is a bit sketchy, just trying to make as much money as it can off of its students, but the professors are cool. The campus is beautiful and the facilities are pretty nice and up-to-date. The new President is pretty awesome.

Katie

Before transferring to Ithaca College I had a few criteria I wanted my college experience to have: 1. I did not want to live in a dorm. I am a somewhat older student and I did not want to live with someone significantly younger than me. 2. I did not want to share a bedroom with a complete stranger. I have heard room mate horror stories. I am an introvert with anxiety and I absolutely could not tolerate living with a stranger the majority of the year. 3. I wanted a town with easily accessible public transportation and an okay amount of things to do. 4. I wanted to go to college in a town where I knew someone. And so, here I am, in my boyfriend's hometown going to college at Ithaca College. Pros: - Small-ish. About 7,000 students. - If you don't know how to write a resume. Oh boy, you will definitely know how by time you graduate. - They put emphasis on the importance in professionalism in all programs. You will all be little business ladies and business men by time you leave. - Ithaca is an easy place to commute around. It's easy to head down into the town. - Lots and lots and lots of clubs. Sort of lacking in leisurely and casual clubs though. It's all societies and program related. - The students are passionate. - Lots of networking opportunities. - Since you're in New York, big wig companies in NYC will like seeing a New York college on your resume. Con: - There is a serious lack of diversity, or at the very least, accommodation and understanding for anyone who isn't below the age of 22, male, white, and upper middle to upper class. If you don't fit that criteria a lot of faculty and staff won't know how to react when you throw them a curve ball with issues specific to your demographic. - The ePortfolio thing is the dumbest system I've ever seen for a college. Especially for transfer students. - It's hilly. I hate hills. Didn't realize it until I moved here and started walking up and down hills all day. - Honestly, I don't think any program at this college is worth the tuition. If you don't get a buttload of financial aid (grants and scholarships) do not go to this college. It just isn't worth it. None of the programs here are best in the nation, nor the state. Con (specifically the Roy H. Park School): - The school is NOT accredited. The college is, but Park school specifically is not. - The time spent in the studio classes are too short for what the workload demands. Most other college make their studio classes 2-3 hours long. - The CMD program has a serious lack of fine arts incorporation which are just as essential as knowing a bunch of marketing jargon. - A lot of students leave looking the part, but still lacking the ability to thoroughly be the part. I've heard a lot of seniors say they felt they were sort of jipped when they see what students in other colleges are capable of doing. IC dedicates a lot of time making sure you look like you know what you're doing, but they do not spend a whole lot of time training you. They just encourage you to take on as many internships as you can for the experience you desire. Overall: I would not recommend Ithaca College to anyone. It's too late for me. I am just looking to finish my degree.

Mariah

Attending Ithaca College has been the greatest decision of my life. I am currently enrolled as a junior musical theatre major, however, I am on a leave of absence due to some financial obligations that I had to tend to. The musical theatre program has shaped me into the performer that I am today, and I am so certain that upon my return in January, I will continue to grow and flourish under the tutelage of my professors. That is why I believe that I am best suited to win this scholarship! Obtaining $1,000 brings me that much closer to staying in this prestigious institution (ranked highly on many websites/articles for Musical Theatre - Also with alumnus such as Ricki Lake, Aaron Tveit, Jeremy Jordan, and Kerry Butler) until graduation in 2019.

Miranda

The dorms are kinda gross but then so are all college dorms. They're fine to live it, in fact sometimes I even start to miss mine when i'm at home. It's easy to make friends as long as you try and talk to people you have never talked to before. The food is sometimes good but I find myself missing homemade pancakes and waffles. There's definitely something for everyone to eat, and the dining halls have really good vegan options. Getting involved can be kind of difficult but org fairs help with that and you can sign up for as many clubs as you want, just make sure you manage your time with doing homework and class obligations, etc.

Danielle

I am still happy that I picked Ithaca College to expand my journalistic abilities. Not only have I made a great group of friends that will continue to positively impact my life, but I am become involved in campus events with clubs and organizations. My journalism classes have taught me what it means to truly be a journalist and how to use my skills in any situation. Besides taking general ed classes along the way, I can say that I am grateful for my journey and all that it has provided.

Amarylis

The Roy H. Park school is outstanding. The teachers really care about a students success and are almost always available to help out. The campus can feel big and small all at the same time! I have never felt unsafe on it - especially with the blue light system. The food is not so great but you can always order take-out if you really get tired of it! There is always something going on on campus, definitely join clubs and sports if you're a person that likes to keep busy. The downtown area is one of the top collegetowns and has great food! Overall, I absolutely love going here.

Chloe

Overall I love it. The music program there is fantastic, and I have found my group of people who have similar academic and musical interests and goals as I do. There is a good balance of competition and friendliness in the music school, and it creates a great environment of trying your best and pushing yourself without being too cutthroat. I am extremely happy there!

Logan

Ithaca College is not for everyone but it definitely has its benefits. It is a school full of creative people and is a great place to be if you're not a huge fan of partying. On-campus parties get shut down pretty quickly but there's usually things going down a short distance away at Cornell University. There's always Moonies if you're looking to grab a drink, and usually, you will be since there's not much else to do around here. Academics are solid for the most part although every once in a while you'll end up with a useless class or two.

Amber

I did Ithaca College is great. They don't have many options for vegan however, they are trying to improve their food choices for vegans. Off- campus there are any good restaurants to eat at. The dorms rooms are okay, sometimes the hook is breaking or space is small and the bathrooms may not always have tissues to dry your hands. It all depends on what hall your choice to live in. On your floor and in your hall you can make friends. Making friends is easy, everyone is friendly. They a lot of clubs you can join but for a sports club, there is a $5 fee and you might not make the team. Also once you get in for have to pay like $150 sometimes for uniforms and traveling fee etc. There are a lot of places and fun events to hang out and go to with your friends. The counseling for mental health is not so great, you can only make an appointment two week from the call and their crisis hotline is only in the middle of the day. The health center is not that useful, low on staff so they give you pills and you will be on your way. Although Ithaca college has its good sides and bad sides what college don't. I choice Ithaca college because it was a good fit for me and even though I don't like something I don't regret my choice. I made great friends and professors that I can connect with. A beautiful view I woke up to every day in Ithaca even though it's almost snowing.

Majestyk

I love how beautiful the campus is and how everyone acts so mature. Although I have not met any of my professors yet, I would assume that they would be more than happy to assist me outside of class. I hear that the town of Ithaca has much to do so outside of classes will be a new adventure awaiting.

Ithaca College is an amazing an accepting college. The communications department is one of the best you'll find. It's not a big college, but it's not too small either. The food could certainly be better, but I think you'll find that at most colleges.

Natalie

Ithaca College is great! There's plenty to do on the weekends and during the week in your free time, both on and off campus. There are hundreds of clubs/organizations to choose from, and everyone is always so friendly! The food isn't always great, but the off campus restaurants and social scene is perfect for a college student, especially with Cornell University just down the hill.

Pravesh

It's a bright medium size liberal arts school with passion in the arts and sciences. Lovely people all around you to support and help you through all four years of your college experience. Ithaca is often referred to as "gorges". Now that literally translates to Ithaca has a lot of gorges and natural lands, but metaphorically, it means that this "middle-of-nowhere" city is fantastic. From its food to its wonderful festivals, the city always impresses me with its culture.

Farwa

Ithaca has been a wonderful experience for me. Though sometimes it has been difficult being a POC student on a PWI, there are support groups for students of color across campus. I love the size of the campus- it's just big enough that you see new people ever day, but small enough that you also see plenty of friendly faces. You will get to know your professors very well, which comes in handy for letters of recommendation. Staff and faculty are deeply invested in your future. We have seasoned faculty who have received various prestigious grants and scholarships, or professionals who left their fields for academia. There are frustrations as well; for example, the long waiting lists at Counseling and Psychological Services, or the lack of gender-inclusive restrooms on campus. But the new administration is bringing highly anticipated changes and I'm sure students who experience the college under President Collado will love what they find!

Lynsey

Ithaca College is one of the prettiest Colleges that I visited. Its natural lands are incredibly fun to explore whether you are in a group or just need some time to yourself. The campus is easy to navigate and you can make it anywhere in ten minutes or less! Although, there are some cons to the campus. Its mainly hills so, your lower body gets a workout. The campus is also pretty isolated. Its basically its own private little hill. There are buses that bring you from campus to the town every half hour but it still feels like you are in your own bubble most of the time. The food is pretty good though. There are three dining halls and all of them are generally open and have pretty good food. The campus has a very safe feeling. Its an extremely accepting community of all people with different backgrounds, beliefs, and experiences. Its also a very active place. There is always something going on whether its a football game, a musical performance from the music majors, or a showing of a movie on campus. It has updated, high quality equipment and services available for the students too. Overall, I'd say Ithaca College is a really nice place that's very welcoming and definitely worth the cost.

Isai

Ithaca College, is a great place to be at, if you want a relaxed slow paced environment. And enjoy living and knowing everyone around you. It has an amazing community/ home feel, that makes you feel secure with yourself and your surroundings. Staff and students both are hand in hand amazing, classes are constantly interesting and involve students to be interactive. It's a great college to grow and succeed in.

Genesis

As a perspective student trying to choose a college, visiting Ithaca College made it set in stone for me. The business school was what attracted me to the school and it was everything I hoped for. The internship and career opportunities lined up for students before graduation is honestly astounding. The professors, as I’ve heard from current students, is that they are very involved in getting to know the students and that’s exactly what I was looking for in a school. Activities and shopping are within minutes of the campus, which I found that to be pretty convenient. I committed to Ithaca College a couple days after my visit and I strongly believe my future is very promising.

Maureen

Ithaca College is a small college, but what it lacks in size it makes up for in opportunities, both on-campus and off. Cornell University is across town, and the downtown area is an excellent cultural center. Shopping is close by, and there are lots of activities and natural features to explore. The hills around the city are extremely steep, so make sure your car has good brakes!

For my particular degree, Ithaca College definitely prepared me academically. While I had to find ways to pull strings to be able to fit in non curricular classes into my schedules so that I could get out of the music school, the faculty was really helpful in allowing me to do that. I had plenty of on and off campus performing opportunities, internships at local schools, and really fantastic student teaching placements. The downtown scene is fantastic with great food, live music, and art, and as they say, "Ithaca is Gorges,"- you truly cannot be bored in Ithaca, NY.

Jahadi

I love it at Ithaca College. It's a great place to go to college. I have met so many amazing and great people that I believe will be my friends for the rest of my life. There are so many beautiful sights to see on campus and around campus. This is a beautiful town to live in. The professors are awesome here because they are always willing to help you with any situation.

dominic

I love this school. I came here because it was the best option without visiting the school or knowing much about it and I was surprised by how great the school is. I love my classes they are all so intriguing and push me to work harder and people are just genuinely nice to each other which is great. If there's one thing I would improve it would have to be the food only because we have such great local farmers whose food is not served on campus which is a bummer.

Ava

I personally love it here at Ithaca College. As a queer individual, finding a campus that would support my identity was very important. Ithaca is rated as one of the most LGBTQ+, and more specifically transgender-friendly colleges in the united states. The ability to find housing with gender-neutral bathrooms is amazing, and I love that the LGBTQ+ coordinator, Luca Maurer, is always open to giving advice and listening to any issues that I might have. The campus environment is very safe, and I am very happy to be in a place that wants me to learn both about my major as well as my identity.

Marshall

Ithaca College is my home away from home, and I have found myself thoroughly integrated into the culture and society there. One of the greatest things about the community of Ithaca, is the strong suburban vibe juxtaposed with the vast natural landscapes available to you. With this in mind, Ithaca College does a wonderful job of taking care of the environment. From postings scattered across campus detailing proper recycling methods, to ergonomic architecture built for practicality and environmental stability, Ithaca College does its job to make our Earth stay beautiful. One issue that remains on campus however, is the topic of diversity, or Ithaca’s lack thereof. This hot button issue caused our campus to raise awareness for lack of administrative effort to ensure many different cultures felt at home, and although we are on our way to a highly diverse campus, we’re not quite there yet.

William

Ithaca College is a lovely institution. Surrounded by a lovely community both on and off of campus, there's always plenty of things to do. The academics are also outstanding, and offer a surprising amount of flexibility to even just a freshman (at last, I never have to take a math class again). The two biggest weak points are price (it's expensive) and dealing with the harsh winters

Patrick

It fucking sucked. They sell you on the idea of getting a good paying job after graduating. SPOILER ALERT: You're better off using those four years on yourself. This place is far too expensive for the result you get.Professors are outdated and the administrators couldn't give a shit. Do yourself a HUGE favor and don't fall for this scam! This institution just is not worth your time. Plus, they can't even win THE ONLY GAME THAT MATTERS.

Laura

Great place to grow as an individual and learn not only new material but also learn about yourself as well. Great place, great people. I met amazing friends throughout my first year. These people are smart, kind, funny, and people you'd want to spend the rest of your life with. I had extremely passionate and knowledgeable professors who removed any doubt I had about the career I was pursuing. I am ecstatic to get back on campus.

Guillermina

I am passionate about the IC community because it encouraging students to step out of their comfort zone and immerse themselves in challenging situations. They offer all the tools that students need to grow and success in their lives. Ithaca college commits to helping students to create a path towards success by offers them different opportunities like Jumpstart, Ithaca Achievement Program, and network events. Also, it helps students to build their professional network by interact and socialize with the alumnus that are dedicated to work and help the students. I love that IC community inspires students to have a vision for their lives and who want to make a positive impact in the world.

Eva

Overall, I love Ithaca College and could not have picked a better school for myself! This is the type of school for students who are go-getters and who want to be as involved as possible. With small class sizes, it is super easy to get to meet people and get to know your professor on a personal level. The school strives to prepare students for the real world even from their freshmen year. The opportunities that Ithaca College offer undergraduate students are incredible and more than most colleges and universities. And with all of the academic programs, there is sure to be something for any prospective​ college student.

bob

You have about 12 pages of "reviews". I observed that most of the comments had NO ups or downs noted. Also.,........NONE of these posts have a DATE !!!!!!!! on them ! What do I care about advice from 6 to 10 years ago? Therefore, I judge your ratings a total waste of computer space. Sorry.

Amy

Ithaca College is an accepting place for everyone, regardless of gender, race, or any other minority factor. The professors are very friendly, and keep regular office hours; some try to make themselves as accessible as possible and some even hand out their phone numbers. The campus itself is barely handicap accessible, but I believe plans are in the works to improve that. There are, however, lots of stairs. Beautiful view of Cayuga Lake, which a rich downtown life and plenty to do on weekends. Even on campus, there's always something happening.

Miranda

I enjoy the school and think they have a lot to offer students. The campus is very nice and set within the hills making it a very scenic place to live. I am not extremely happy with the meal plan, but overall I think Ithaca college is a great place to have a college experience.

Claire

Ithaca was a great school there were small classes and the students were always engaged. Professors could be reached and always offered help and and advice to students. The food was meh but there are a ton of restaurants in Ithaca to choose from. The school was diverse and there was always something going on in town.

claire

I loved my time at Ithaca. It can be a little sleepy compared to urban campuses, but the intellectual stimulation and quality of professors more than make up for that. There is a party scene but there are plenty of other things to do. Many students do drugs, but it is limited to a lot of weed, which you are never pressured to do.

Erin

I am overall satisfied with my experience at Ithaca College. Though some improvements can be made with the facilities, dining and and residential services, I am satisfied with the academics here. The racial diversity of IC isn't the best, but efforts have been made to diversify the campus. The campus community strives to be inclusive to all and be a safe space.

Ella

I am a Freshman at Ithaca College. Ithaca college is very good if you are in theatre, music, film or physical/occupational therapy, the rest of the departments leave something to be desired. I have had mostly very good professors so far with most of them seeming to care about their students but it seems difficult to get much of the student body to care about anything outside of its three very good programs. The students in school of liberal arts and sciences has a general sense of apathy in all of my classes so far and it seems to be filled with people who really shouldn't have come to college. Maybe my expectations are too high for a college student to really want to learn, but I often find it hard to stay positive in this environment with so much apathy for academics. Even the teachers are incredibly frustrated with the students not caring. This school is not for me and it probably won't be for you if you are a highly motivated person who really wants to learn outside of the fields of music, theatre, film, and physical/occupational therapy

Sam

Ithaca is truly a fantastic place. Everyone there is super friendly, and is such a great campus community. Highly recommend for everyone to visit and see for themselves. There is always something for everyone to do, and is a fantastic college for everyone to be a part of.

Kaitlyn

Ithaca is an amazing place to learn and grow. It's the perfect size for living on campus but keeping class and home life comfortably separate. Everything you might need on campus is no longer than a 15-minute walk away! It's beautiful and contemporary but has that old-school charm as well.

Isabella

Ithaca College is my home, and it could be your home too. Ithaca College is a place for students who desire opportunity and education, all while on a level playing field. Ithaca College has a reputation for its inclusivity and intellectual growth. I am grateful for every opportunity that have been made available to me through Ithaca College.

Abigail

Ithaca College is located in upstate NY, meaning it's cold all the time and the winters are brutal. It's common for students at this school to struggle with mental health, but the psychological services at Ithaca College are not that great. They are understaffed and always booked, making it harder for students to make appointments. The health center at Ithaca is downright terrible and often misdiagnoses students. The school has a population of around 6,500 students, so it is a small college. The campus itself is not the most beautiful, but it does have amazing views of the hills. The majority of the students are friendly, but because it is a private institution, it's very expensive so there are snobby rich students. Ithaca College promotes a diverse student body, but in reality about 80% of the students are white. The academics, for the most part, are good. The best programs are the music, communications, PT, and theatre programs. The others are decent but aren't that prominent. The professors do their best to help students whenever they can. For nightlife, it's basically non-existent. There are fraternities that aren't associated with the schools and sometimes they have parties on the weekend, but the parties aren't good and only last until about 11 pm. Overall, Ithaca College is a decent school with decent academics, but there are some aspects of it that are less favorable.

Stefan

as an visitor and for someone who wants to attend Ithaca, I think Ithaca is very good college and is a beautiful look. The students is very nice. There class room size's are 22 students, like an high school classroom. So students are able to get more help and tutoring if needed. Could build a better connection with the professors.

Isabella

Ithaca College has been a great place for me to develop and grow both intellectually and personally since I've been here (college sophomore now). I was a bit skeptical coming to a school that didn't seem to have a really cutthroat academic presence, but over the past two years, I've found my niche. All of the professors are extremely knowledgeable and carve time out of their schedules to meet with you, even if you can't make office hours. I love my classes, my social life, and the facilities and resources available to me as a student-athlete are phenomenal. Additionally, I work a part-time job here, and am always finding a way to entertain myself and be productive.

Bob

It fucking sucks.. DO NOT GO HERE

Jeremy

Ithaca college was a fantastic school and recommended by all alumni. The school has a great physical education program and recommended to me by my phys ed teacher. I feel in love with this school when I first got to the gorgeous campus. I felt safe and comfortable. This school overall is amazing but the price of the school defiantly shows what a dream school is priced at.