Kansas State University

« See more reviews of Kansas State University

It would have to be location. I'm an avid hiker and backpacker, unfortunatly there are not many places in this area of Kansas that offer much of a challenge with hiking or backpacking. My future career will be in outdoor recreation hospitality and owning my own outdoor equipment store and the oppertunites for jobs and internships are zero for my area of study because of the location of the university. Yet this gives me the oppertunity to travel to a summer job in Idaho and internship in outdoor recreation locations around the world which satisfies my hunger to travel.

The university seems really divided, not unlike the high school cafeteria. The "popular" kids are in Greek houses, and they always wear letters so you know it. They control a lot of organizations including student government. The "jocks" aka student athletes in big ticket sports have their own housing areas and even special lines and rooms in the dining halls. The "nerds" live in scholarship houses or become RA's. They are involved in many things yet socially recluse. So on so forth, it's nice because you find people like you, but you're also judged by it.

The size of the campus can be very isolating. KSU has a few very strong, demanding programs (Architecture and Veterinary Medicine come to mind) that seem to pretty much take over your life - people outside the program will never see you again. Fraternities and sororities are their own little worlds. Minority ethnic and religious groups tend to clump together for safety and comfort. There's a wide variety of students at Kansas State, but it's very hard to meet people from across the spectrum.

The worst thing about our school is the lack of public financial aid. The school does not announce or have veiwable scholarship opportunities unless you do a troublesome search. I would not have heard about a few key scholarships if I did not arrange a meeting with the head of financial aid at my university. The scholarship board at the financial aid office is small and is only viewable if you are atleast 6'4". I had trouble reading it because I was barely tall enough to see it.

The worst thing about my school would probably be the location. Located in Manhattan Kansas, Kansas State is pretty much an oasis in the heart of Kansas. The only issue with this is that it is a two hour drive from both Kansas City and Wichita. This makes it difficult to make it to sporting events during breaks and makes it hard to go home but when youre living in Manhattan, why would you leave? Overall, I love this place and would not trade this college experience for anything.

I am currently attending the Salina, KS branch of K-State and because we are a smaller town we have fewer students attending the college than say Manhattan's K-State. Because of this there is very little campus life and the school sometimes seems to be vacant and lifeless. Also the main degree offered at K-State Salina is an Aviation degree. This typically leaves students who come to the school to acquire general education classes feeling somewhat out of place and left out.

I decided not to pledge a fraternity when I got to college. I don't regret that in retrospect, it just isn't for me. There are plenty of of ways to get involved and tons of things to do even if you're not in a Fraternity/Sorority, but there are some events exclusive to those groups. A lot of the family days on campus as well as Fall Homecoming are heavy sponsored and revolved around the greek system. If you don't go Greek then those events lose a lot of their appeal.

To say that my school has a "worst quality" for me personally would require me to really stretch an answer. I absolutely love Kansas State and have completely enjoyed my experience thus far. From dorm life, to intramurals, to my classwork, every part of the college experience has made me love this school to its fullest extent. There is no part that I would ever consider changing because it makes up everything that Kansas State is and why I love it here.

Off Campus living seems to be the worst part of school. Since it is a college town the rent is sky high and makes living expenses even more difficult especially for students like me who do not receive help from their parents. I am responsible for all my own expenses such as tuition, rent, utilities, gas, books, etc. I also work on a weekly basis which sometimes makes it difficult to stay on top of the mounds of homework I am also responsible.

Personally, I have found that a large issue at Kansas State is centered around parking and building accessibility. Though the campus is flat and has ample sidewalks from one building to the next, there is often minimal parking in and around campus. This proves to be especially troubling for students who reside off-campus or have tight schedules. There is no form of mass-transit, so students must make do with what is available.