Kansas State University

« See more reviews of Kansas State University

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Basically, the main stereotypes come from either the different majors, or the Greek system. Stereotypes exist for Every major. I was an art major. The stereotype for an art major was that of, well, a hippie type person. Trying not to "fit in" and so doing fitting into their stereo type. There is a stereotype for Engeneering majors, a stereotype for computer science majors, a stereotype for kinesiology and athletic training majors, a stereo type for English majors, a stereotype for philosophy majors, a stereotype for Architecture majors, etc. Though these are stereotypes (generalizations), all stereotypes stem from some element of truth. Paying attention to these stereotypes, while not giving an accurate picture, will key you into some aspect of what life in that major may be like or involve. Stereo types involving the Greek system really only fall into two major categories: The "sorority girl" and "frat boy". Both of these are considered negative stereotypes by many (Greek and non-greek alike). The stereotype of the "sorority girl" is that of a shallow, self-obsessed, very superficial personality focussed on looking "cute" first, pleasing others and maintaining their reputation second, and school third. There or more severe stereotypes linked with specific sororities that will remain unnamed that include the discription of "easy" or as the term "sorostitute" implies, sleeping with anyone who shows interest. The "frat boy" stereotype is that of a pretty-boy or a heavy partier. This reputation is well earned, as in most Fraternities you will find an ample supply of alcohol and empty alcohol containers fashioned into useful things such as the beer-can-couch, or the beer-can-Christmas tree, or the far less useful, beer-can-statue. As with soroties, there are a few Fraternities that have earned the reputation of being full of womanizers or predators. As is the case with sororities, there are several houses that break these molds and carry a very good reputation. That's pretty much it for the main stereotypes at K-State.

There are a lot of people that say K-State is a farm school, a "hick" school if you will. (and it probably doesn't help that we have cows across the street from our stadium.) Also, because we are in a smaller town people seem to think that theres not much to do and its boring.

That we are all hicks. This isn't true. Kansas State has a very strong agricultural program, but that is not all of what Kansas State is about. There are tons of options, and one stereotype cannot describe all the cultures, religions, and everything else represented on campus

Hicks mainly because Kstate is an AG major school. Sterotype about the students...very friendly and welcoming and it proved to be right when school started!

That it's all a bunch of Ag students and that it's a hicktown or that it is boring compared to KU just because it isn't the "big-city" feel of Lawrence.

I guess I have heard, specially from people that go to KU, that everybody at K-State is a "red neck" (quoting) and that it is too Agriculture-oriented.

"hicks" or country people. Everyone here is a farmer or Vet-Med student. Or that the Vet-med program is really the only thing K-State has to offer.

If you want to learn about animals it better be FARM animals because that's all they care about. College kids are snobs in general.

That we're all hicks and listen to only country music. Football is the only important sport and we don't care about basketball.

Everyone always says K-State is a hick school, a party school, only for ag kids, Manhattan is boring.