Kansas State University

« See more reviews of Kansas State University

I honestly cannot say enough good things about Kansas State University. The atmosphere is fantastic. Welcoming people and a safe environment. I have yet to have a less than amazing teacher, be it Doctor, Professor, or GTA. All the staff are willing to help you in any way they can and seem to love to come to work each day. We have many student work opportunities on campus and there are over 250 clubs to get involved in. I would say the size of KSU is just right. We have between 25 and 30 thousand students in a town of about 50,000 residents. You could say its the perfect college town. Campus isn't too spread out and you can get to any building in about ten minutes of walking. I believe that Kansas State has a great reputation of being the "happy purple place" and is very distinguished in their academics. We have one of the top Architecture and Interior Design Programs in the nation. We also have a very strong ROTC program and programs like aviation that not all schools offer. So weather you know exactly what program you want or if you are completely undecided, Kansas State has an abundance to offer you. The sports are also amazing! We have a very large showing at both Football and Basketball games. Our student tickets go wicked fast once they begin to sell and that is do to two reasons. One, we are treated like royalty by KSU. We get the best seats in the house at both sporting events, fifty yard line and half court. The other reason they sell so hot is that we have so much schools spirit. If you arn't at the game losing your voice cheering you are at a watch party cheering so loud you would think those at the game could here you through the tv. The place I probably spend most of my time on campus tho is the music building. We have an awesome music and dance department that keeps us busy with attending recitals and performances that heighten our drive to do what we love. I also love having coffee dates with my friends at Caribou in the Union or talking walks through campus down to Aggieville for dinner or shopping. I have been here for two years and have truthfully only heard on one altracation that happened on campus at night, other than that it is very common to feel very safe on this campus. I have had casual conversations with our campus night security about their duties and didn't even know that all freshman year they wandered our dorms at night making sure we were safe. I never even knew they were there. We also have blue lights all over campus and if you press one they will be there in a flash. Even if you just don't feel comfortable walking at night someone will come walk with you to where ever you are going. Kansas State University takes pride in everything they do and strive to make our college experience the best that it can possibly be.

I cannot imagine being anywhere else besides Kansas State University. There is a sense of pride and school spirit in every classroom and people respect the school, teachers and fellow students. K-State is a large school, but with a small-town feel. Located in Manhattan, KS, most of the businesses revolve around the school itself. As a senior in high school, I visited the campus on a formal campus tour day and was surprised at how friendly the students and administrators were. Every one seemed to take interest in my involvement and were willing to answer any of my questions. If you are looking for a school with strong academics and a lot of school pride K-State is the place to go! We have a strong football and basketball team and we are a recognized university across the nation. Our most recent publicized controversy was the debate between EMAW and EPAW (Every Man A Wildcat vs. Every Person A Wildcat) and the creation of EcoKat. These two topics were discussed on large news networks but at times, were taken out of context. EMAW has been a continuing traditional slogan for many years and a small number of people involved in K-State felt it was sexist. The idea was that the word "man" did not include women, therefore should be changed to "person". The news portrayed the debate making it seem as though all women were against the use of EMAW, when in fact many discussions in my classes found that most students didn't mind the use of EMAW because it was a tradition. EcoKat was suppose to be a mascot to promote "going green" on campus, but when EcoKat was shown in a picture next to the mascot "Willie the Wildcat" people assumed it was a new athletics mascot. There was a lot of controversy because EcoKat was a girl and this was around the same time as EMAW and EPAW. Eventually, the idea of EcoKat flourished and no one likes to speak of the topic.

The first thing that comes to mind when I think about K-State is school pride. There is an immense amount of Purple Pride going on in Manhattan, Kansas. One might say, "Once a Wildcat, Always a Wildcat." And it's true; once you become a student here, you'll love your Cats forever. Aggieville, which is the heart of Manhattan, along with campus, is a great place to get your school spirit on. There are several restaurants and bars, old and new, packed into a cozy square mile, and everywhere you look you'll see fans and students sporting their purple, all pumped up for the football game that night. Manhattan has a close-knit community feel, and every student can feel right at home at KSU. Manhattan is definitely the ultimate college town. As mentioned above, Aggieville is the center of all the action. It's where everyone goes to meet their friends, grab something to eat, or shop a little. Just driving down the brick roads in Manhattan, you'll see students out on their lawns playing games and enjoying the weekend. Most of the houses that are occupied by students are very old, but this gives them character. During Christmas, you'll see houses with tacky Christmas lights, spelling out "EMAW" (Every Man A Wildcat) on rooftops. Manhattan is defined by Kansas State. Honestly, the only student complaint that I can think of is the parking situation on campus. With the rapid growth in the number of enrolled students each year, our parking lots seemingly get smaller and smaller. It can be very frustrating at times, especially when you're running late to class (assuming you live off campus and drive to class), and there are no parking spots available. Additionally, the cost to purchase a parking pass is pretty hefty. On top of all the other tuition fees, a parking pass is around $100. Other than the parking inconvenience, however, there's not much to complain about!

Personally, for me the best thing about K-State is the Disability Support Services. The staff at D.S.S. are very helpful, and friendly. Their main goal and purpose is to have students succeed at K-State no matter what type of disability they have. The accommodations for students with disabilities is amazing here at K-State, it's also very handicapped friendly, if there is a particular building that is not well equipped for handicapped students the staff at D.S.S. will take this information to the board and implement a plan to remedy the issue. K-State is located in the heart of Manhattan, Kansas. I would describe Manhattan very much as a "college town", in our community we have die hard fans, not only in Manhattan but spread out throughout Kansas. When I tell people I go to K-State I am told often that I'm at a great school, and I truly believe I am. Students here have extreme pride for our school and it shows, not just on campus but all over town. We also have extreme pride in our sports teams, and will travel near and far to support them. K-State has a wide range of majors and is known for its excellent veterinarian program. If incoming students are unsure of what they want to major in, there is staff to help them decided, or at least give them an idea of what is available for their particular interests. The one thing I will honestly always remember is getting my acceptance letter, I have always dreamed about going to K-State and when I was accepted literally my dreams came true, I love K-State!!!!

The best thing about K-State is the people, both students and faculty. Everyone goes above and beyond to help each other out in any way possible. Pat Bosco, our Dean of Student Life, somehow knows everyone and not only recognizes faces but can remember almost all the students' names. The school itself is a great size. You see enough familiar faces for comfort, but if you want to stay away from certain people its pretty easy. While on campus I spend most of my time in Eisenhower (the mostly English building) as well as the Student Union. There is so much to do in the union including: bowling, an apple store, bank, lots of food places, and Cat's Den (a convenience store). If you have extra time between classes, its a great place to go. The students have the most amazing pride and support for our school, but manage to do it without any of the arrogance. The general reaction I get from people is a good one when I tell them I go to K-State and they always make a comment about Aggieville. Calling Manhattan a college town is a huge understatement. The town has about 50,000 people here and 25,000+ are students. There is always something to do and somewhere to hang out. If you were to hear a complaint about anything here it would probably be parking and the fact that the roads around the university love to flood. If there is any type of strong precipitation then its going to get pretty ugly. They just started to build a parking garage on campus and until that is up there is virtually no parking.

I have nothing but good things to say about Kansas State University. Kansas State gives any student an at home feel. Manhattan, KS is small enough to where people don't get lost and big enough to where people don't get bored! Our campus is awesome! Unlike most large colleges, our buildings on campus are in very close quarters to each other. In a matter of 15-20 minutes you can walk from one end of campus to the other. Yes, I said walk! A bus service isn't required to make it to class on time! The staff at Kansas State is great as well. Each student has the opportunity to have a personal relationship with their academic advisors. Advisors are there for their students whenever one would need them. It's always nice to know that when you go into a meeting with your advisor that they know exactly who you are, unlike most large colleges. My favorite thing of all about Kansas State is the student spirit. K-State students are also die-hard fans of K-State sporting events. The student section is always full of students whether it is basketball, football, volleyball, etc. Finally the opportunity to make new friends and "real world" connections is endless. People at K-State truly care about the experience a student receives!

Kansas State sort of "saved" me. I was a transfer student so I had a lot of emotions and complications with my transfer. I thought K-State would be too big, but it ended up being something I enjoyed. The atmosphere was something I really enjoyed! Plus, I was opened up to a numerous amount of cultures that I did not know much about. I lived in the residence halls for 3 semesters and loved it! It was a wonderful stepping stone for getting used to the university and I worked at the front desk for a year, too. A wonderful experience. K-State sort of is a college town, but not like my previous school. There is more to Manhattan than just the university, but most Manhattan residents thoroughly support the Wildcats :) Just more pride in "the hat." There are clubs for everyone, organizations, activities, anything you can really think of (and if we somehow don't have it, make it!). It is so easy to get involved and meet people! K-State also has a strong Greek Life, another way for people to get involved! I will always remember giving tours of residence halls and helping people understand and figure out if K-State is right for them. I love helping people through the process, as I know how troubled I was.

Kansas State University is a very opportunistic campus. With over 475 clubs and organizations, nearly 24,000 students, and 9 different colleges it is very easy for students to find their niche. The K-State campus is also very student lead and driven, students are easily able to voice their opinions and make a difference for the future of their campus. K-State has also been voted as the safest campus in the Big 12. I believe that Kansas State University has a place for everyone within the Wildcat family. K-State's campus is in the middle of Manhattan, KS, a true college town. Everyone in Manhattan bleeds purple which is very visible on game days. Kansas State University is also a very well recognized university for academics and involvement. I believe this is one of the nations best universities across the board. K-State offers a great community for students to feel comfortable yet it also has the academic programs and professors that drive students to succeed within their academics. I have never been to a friendlier campus, the faculty and campus feel makes it seem as if you are the only student they are worried about and as a student you get that feeling day in, day out.

Manhattan is a horrible town. If you aren't into the bar scene there's nothing to do and no place to meet people besides the school itself. Plus it's an army town, enough said there... There are no good restaurants and even IHOP that SHOULD be 24hrs isn't. The pre-vet program is nothing but a joke now. It's all about agriculture and no longer does anyone bother telling incoming freshman to think for themselves and choose a different background major. That'll be a laugh when they graduate and can't find a job because they didn't get into vet school. If you tell anyone in Kansas you go to KSU it's going to be one of two reactions. They love the school or they hate it. There aren't many people who choose neither faction. Despite all that we are STILL better than KU. Our mascot and colors are better by far and the students aren't as spoiled rotten. I don't care about football so that's not even factored into the equation. In the years I attended I certainly could have done without the pro-life rally every year and the year that the police showed up to wash the "Legalize Marijuana" off the sidewalk was utterly ridiculous! That's a Kansas problem though...

One of the good things about K-State is that it is very much in a college town. Pretty much all of Manhattan breathes K-State. You can see the Powercat everywhere, and Willie the Wildcat is a local hero. On gamedays (football AND basketball), the town is swarming with purple, both from students and from fans no longer in college. The population of Manhattan decreases substantially over the summer. Manhattan is the Summer is a completely different town than Manhattan during the school year. Being a college town, there are alot of places near campus (oh, and the campus is absolutely gorgeous!) that cater to students and college life, such as multiple coffee shops. There are two local coffee shops that I visit quite frequently in Aggieville, the 6 or 7 block area that contains most of the bars, many very good restaurants and eateries, and a couple bookstores. Though Aggieville is a popular place, it's not the only place in Manhattan that is geared toward students. All around campus and on campus there are places to hang out, resources for work and play, places to get away from it all. All in all, Manhattan and K-State is a pretty sweet place to be.