Kent State University at Kent

« See more reviews of Kent State University at Kent

The only thing that has been a tad bit frustrating at Kent State University would have to be walking in the cold weather! It can get pretty cold and icy, and lots of people, including me, have slipped on the sidewalks. However, in Ohio, I think this frustration is practically impossible to pass up, considering this cold and icy weather is a fact that Kent State University cannot really change. Although sidewalks can be relatively slippery at times, Kent State will cancel classes when it is super bad and generally does a pretty decent job at cleaning up the sidewalks.

The food at Kent State University is of good quality, however I would like to see more options for healthier diets. I believe the budget may be an obstacle if Kent were to add more options, but I believe if students were given healthier options, they would choose them over the unhealthy ones. If Kent promoted healthier eating habits, I think the idea might catch and spread to everyone on the campus, especially as times are changing and new products have been introduced to the market. Kent could be one of the first campuses to follow this healthy lifestyle movement.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the fact that it is in Kent, Ohio. It is a charming town, but it is not ideal for the fashion industry. I would love to have an internship during the academic year, but it is impossible to find a design internship that is under an hour away. There is also only one fabric store, located twenty minutes away from campus. The Fashion School is good at helping to provide resources, but there simply is not enough variety in Kent and the surrounding areas. This can make creating interesting projects very difficult.

The most frustrating thing about my school is my program I am in the professional phase of the athletic training program which means I have the schedule of a university athlete, without the perks an athlete gets. Sometimes its hard to work with the university for accomodations for summer housing the same as the athletes, class schedules with traveling with the teams, and other resources the athletes get like tutoring. Sometimes professors forget you have more than just that one class to take and cannot afford to read 3 chapters a night for one class.

The most frustrating thing is probably the weather. The winter can get really bad, and the wind is very strong sometimes when walking to class. The rain can pour for hours on and off, and it can keep students from going to class. It also causes transportation issues when it comes to weather. The buses run slower, and in the winter, some walkways are blocked. Currently, the construction is an issue. There are buildings being torn down, and built. In the long-run it will look great, but as of right now, it is causing minor issues including the noise.

Some of the most frustrating things about my school are the professors and teacher assistants. Many of them speak very poor english and are unreasonable when it comes to grading. This is something that I have experienced at other universities also while taking summer courses. Other discouraging characteristics about my school include the long cold winter's expiernced in Northeastern Ohio. The design of the campus being based off the University of Arizon which allows for wind tunnels most definately does not help confront the harsh blizzard drafts.

When I first came to Kent, I was frustrated by the anonymity associated with attending a larger school. For the first few weeks, I felt so lost and alone amongst 17,000 other students. However, the longer I stayed, the more comfortable I became. I realized that there are some awesome benefits of attending larger school; as one of many students, I have the opportunity to meet people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. I have the opportunity to truly expand my thoughts and my self, and to become the person I've always wanted to be.

The most frustrating thing about Kent State is deciding what extracurricular activities to attend. Kent gives it's students so many options in clubs, sports, and other groups that it makes it difficult to figure out how to spend my free time. There are so many different activities which will help me in my future resume that are both fun and educational, almost too many to narrow down. From soroities, to club sports, to religious, educational, and major oriented groups, the only thing frustrating with Kent State is figuring out which to chose!

The most frustrating thing about Kent State University is that being social is usually reliant on going to parties. I have never been much a "party goer", and believe it has interfered with finding more quality friends. I am able to make friends with my classmates, but doing something with them usually has to involve going out to party. This correlates as well with my frustration over the lack of entertainment surrounding the area. For a college dominant town, I believe there should be more entertainment alternatives than partying.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of pertinant communication. I have to go an extra semester and not graduate with my husband (he is going to a different college for his masters at this time) in December 2010 due to one class offered one time a year. Why does any college offer classes only one time a year? Having transfered from a different college and unable to follow a perscribed list of classes, communication is key! I now will graduate in May 2011 with a degree in Intervention Specialis for gradesa K-12.