Kent State University at Salem

« See more reviews of Kent State University at Salem

As a freshmen who currently completed my first semester in college, I am in the beginning stages of my academic journey. A journey I believed I would never succeed at because I was not smart enough. You see, at forty-four years of age, I was convinced that I was not smart enough for college and I didn't attend a university. But due to my recent job loss, and lack of employment in our area, higher education is currenty inescapable. I believe I have been granted an opportunity of a lifetime. To renew the old beliefs I had towards myself as an individual and to prove to myself that I can do it. What I have gotten out of my college experience thus far is great satisfaction in knowing that my hard work and determination to study my way out of poverty is becoming a reality. I recieved a certificate of academic excellence for my first semester at college! The value in that experience is priceless. I now have proof that with that same determination, I will soon be able to provide economic stability for my son and I. Thank you, I truly appreciate your consideration for acceptance.

The process of obtaining a higher education has taught me a lot about who I am as a person and what I stand for as both an individual and as a member of society. Through this process I have been able to experience self growth in ways that I would not be able to gain in life outside of school. I believe that knowledge is power, and my college experience has allowed me the independence and self-empowerment to know that I can succeed. This college experience has given not only me but also my family the hope and the ability to dream about a greater and more fulfilling future, a future that would be unobtainable without the pursuit of higher education. My college experience has been most valuable on a personal nature. I that I have changed a negative generational view of school as my children have observed my both my dedication and my success so they too now feel the importance of hard work in school. My experience has been an example that has improved the quality of my children’s' lives to an extent that will carry on for years to come. Their success is my goal.

Friends, football games, boys... it all seems so important and every problem that occurs you will think it is the end of the world but believe me, its not. Forget about the boy who broke your heart or winning homecoming queen, education is what will help you get through the rest of your life; education is life. Instead of day dreaming, pay attention to your teachers, they may give you a hard time but they are only trying to bring out the best of you. College is no breeze you cant turn assingments in late, it is a whole new ball game... so be ready. No one is going to do this but you so remember that and picture how happy your father will be when he sees that diploma in your hand. While writing that paper take a minute to remember why you enrolled, the children. Your whole life people have told you how great you are with children, remember how great it felt when you helped them with reading and math... there is no better feeling then that. So forget about all the worries of high school, it is time to grow up and enter the REAL world!

Your accomplishments academically up until this point have been amazing, and while high school graduation may be the closing chapter of this era, there are so many more accomplishment, goals, and rewards to pursue. As you embark on this journey of higher learning, the work will become more difficult, the assignments more intense, and the requirements far more demanding, but the rewards for accomplishment have the potential to completely change your life. The time spent in study and the scores placed in college will potentially direct the course of your life. Do prepare yourself to be academically challenged to the limit, to deny yourself many social pleasures for study, but also prepare to celebrate the achievements that self-discipline will bring. Assuredly the time you will spend in university will impact your future in ways nothing else has to this point. The future is a blank canvas waiting for you the artist; one stroke at a time and each with your best effort will reward you and those around you with beauty for a lifetime.

I would explain everything to myself. I dropped out of highschool at 15 with 0 credits.I am 22 now, and Just finished my third semester. In one more semester I will receive two associates degrees.A year from now i will receive 3 certificates that my college awards in place of degrees. I will have a Cisco CCNA which is by far the most coveted credential someone in my position could receive. My long term goals are receiving a PHD, and a Cisco CCIE. I will maintain a cumulative 4.00 the whole time. In three semesters I have received 144 credit hours. I understand the importance of education.I would explain everything i never knew then, to myself.And i would tell myself to save money. I struggle to pay for books and tuition every semester, and if only I'd have used my intelligence when i was younger, everything would be easier now. Theres so many things I needed someone to tell me, and explain to me at that age, I could save myself a lot of trouble. I think about this scenario very, very often.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself I would tell myself to have more confidence in my studies and to not worry so much about the small stuff. When we are older and are able to look back upon ourselves everything that mattered then doesnt matter at all now. I would tell myself that I am able to do anything I want and get the grades I think are impossible. In college now I am determined every semester, with no excuses in hand, to recieve an 'A' in all of my classes no matter how hard I must work. In high school and the first year of college this always seemed impossible because it stuck in my head as that idea. I know now that anything really is possible for someone who is determined and it is not just a saying. I would also tell myself not to be nervous about the transition to college from high school. College brings a whole new light to life with new friends, a new atmosphere, and new knowledge. It seems to be carefree compared to the dramatic world of high school.

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school. I wouldn’t tell myself just to work harder and get good grade because that’s really not what college is all about. I would tell myself to get to know your teachers so latter down the road they might help you find a job and help you in class. Having one on one with a teacher will really help you understand what your good at and what your bad at. I would also tell myself to apply for more scholarships. But besides scholarships and getting to know the teacher I would tell myself to also talk to your adviser as soon as possible for your classes because once they are filled up you can’t get in the class you want and also make enough time between classes but don’t make to long that your sitting there for hours. Last I would tell myself to try and make more friends because you will see them a lot in your classes, so making friends with them at first will be a lot easy then latter down the road.

In life you will need to make many choices, this requires a clear head and logical thinking. Don't get involved with things such as drugs and alcohol that will cloud your ability to think clearly. If you keep your mind clear and think things through, you won't make the same mistakes in life that I have. If you don't understand the consequences, I suggest you work a summer in a factory just to realize what making the wrong decisions can result in. You are an intelligent individual as your grades have shown, but the world is cruel and people will be trying to lead you in the wrong directions. Think things through and avoid substances that will alter your thinking pattern. You control your future; don't blame others and maintain control of your own actions. This is the best advice that I can give to anyone coming out of high school, because I remember making the mistakes that bring me back to college at the age of 46 to finish my degree.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would not change much. The transition of going to college was not made for me back then. I would tell myself to not be so free with my choices and stay at home with my mother a little longer. I would tell myself to be me, and not who others thought I should be. I would tell myself that it is okay to say no, even when under pressure. I would tell myself not to settle for the first person that said "I love you" (or the second one). I would tell myself to keep my head up, people are not as bad when they grow up to be adults. I would let myself know that the future does hold something special for you, but you need to be patient. I would also make sure to tell myself to not listen to others when they are making a bad reccomendation. Lastly, I would tell myself that I am smart, and that I will succeed.

I will be attending college this fall of 2010. I took a year off after high school, due to health reasons. I know this is the best decision I have and will ever make. I have seen many people, including my mom, go through a really hard time due to the lack of an education. My mom and stepdad were divorced a little over a year ago. My stepdad was the main "bread winner", so it has been really hard for my mom to provide for my brother, sister, and me. I never want to be put into the situation where I feel like I have to do something because I have no other options. It is scary because I get worried that it will be too difficult having a job and going to school, but I know that I CAN do this. I am learning more and more as days go on that being an adult is not nearly as fun as I thought it would be when I was a little girl, but I am enjoying the journey.