Kentucky State University

« See more reviews of Kentucky State University

Talking to myself as a high school senior, I would say, "College life is an excellent experience, and one that you will not forget. From meeting new friends from different parts of the country to seeing friends you've know since your freshman year at high school, college life is extremley great. Most high school students dread the transitiotn from high school to college by hearing stereotypes such as long essays and exams, but really it's not as dreadful as it seems. It's as easy as making a daily schedule. Set time to study, stay focused, and you will succeed. Also, be sure not to "cram" yourself with studies. Making time in your schedule to socialize with fellow students and friends as well. The word "impossible" should not be a part of your vocabulary and is not plausible for anything related to college life, including the transition. Furthermore, succeeding in your goals and obtaining a degree no matter what you decide to study, will open a vast amount of opportunities for your future. Simply look at college as the backbone for your all of your future needs; to support your future family, to succeed and excel your lifestyle.

Learn the ins and outs of the academic process, and stay on a rigid schedule. I had a multitude of problems with regards to my scholarship and financial aid paperwork and compensation. I didn't understand the system or whom to speak with, and once I finally did, I procrastinated in actually getting the papers signed and sent out or contacting the right people. If I had learned the process beforehand, I might have been able to spare myself the agony of considering a life without college. With regards to assignments and papers: get on them right away! Even though I still manage to write grade-A papers under deadline pressure, I also put myself through a lot of anxiety by putting off my assignments until the week (or even the day) of the deadline. My papers could have been more researched, my take-home tests more carefully scrutinized (resulting in higher grades!), and my writing assignments more intellectual. This is an area I will probably have until I graduate. If I could, I would certainly tell my high school self to develop better scheduling habits so that Finals weeks wouldn't be so worrisome.

The college experience is self-created. You must get involved on your campus and want to know what is going on in order to have a good time. You must surround yourself with people that are as ambitious as you. If that means distancing yourself from previous friends that you notice are negative and do not want much from their college experience then so be it; it will be worth it. Remember that everything comes second to academics. Fun campus events, campus organizations, and even your sport come after you have finished your work. I know you will be playing golf in college so remember that golf is paying the bills. Go to every practice and workout on time and let no one steer you away from golf because scholarships are not promised. Last but not least, the professors. In college you take professors, not classes, so remember to ask around for the best professor in each subject so you will not have to deal with the burden of taking a professor you will not like. And remember that you are paying for your education so it is the professor’s duty to help you in any way possible.

Assuming that I could go back into time, I would give myself lots of advice. Once I graduated high school, not only did I gain a disease of addiction, I had went straight into parenthood and had three children by the age of 25. Although I would do anything for my children and wouldn't trade them for the world, I would have told myself to wait to have a family. I entered recovery and just celebrated my third year of sobriety. Being a full-time single mother is very difficult, not only raising them, but attending school full-time as well. The transition for attending a larger university was quite different than attending a technical college which I had done previously. Getting to know my professors on a personal level, and taking a tour of the college was helpful during my first semester. Finding classmates that lift ones spirits and help out whenever they possibly can is also very beneficial. Knowing my way around, personal relationships with professors and students, and good notetaking and listening skills is something that I believe every freshman should endure.

Matriculation into a post-secondary institution was one of my major concerns as a graduating senior this past 2008-2009 school year. If I could go back in time and talk to myself throughout the whole process, I would have given myself great advice that would have made the transtion much smoother. At the end of my high school year, I became struck the the virus Senioritis (a popular disease that overtakes all seniors once the spring term resumes). In retrospective, I would tell myself to take advantage of every scholarship opportunity and keep in contact with everyone that could help me at some point down the line in my collegiate career. I never knew how imperative and crucial it truly was to not give up on my studies towards the end of the year; you always need to finish strong and stay one step ahead. I would also tell myself to not be afraid to stand up and speak for myself regarding what is best for me. No matter what anyone else thinks about my decisions, I must be okay with them because ultimately I am the ONLY person that can determine my own destiny!

the decisions you make in life affect you for al life time. it is very important to develope very good study habits in order to be successfull in school as well as in life. however , we must understand that anything is possible if we put our minds to it and believe tghat we can do it. so just a few words of encouragement , remeber that you can do anything that you want . also remember that no person can do things alone you need those around you aswell as those teachers to help yo to understand the things they have already mastered in life. Dont get discouraged never and if things begin to seem extremely hard junst take a breather and relax. this will help you to relax your mind and think in a positive matter. another very important thing is to never forget about social time this to is very important in surviving in the college life. this helps you to stay balanced between school and life this is alos something that will help to relax. but remember to much of anything can be bad. so just remember these few things and remember that you can and will succeed !

Remember how much you like roller coasters?.well college is one big roller coaster, an overall adrenaline rush! You have many tough decisions to make before college and just like you can?t get on a ride at an amusement park until you?re 4ft tall, preparation is the key to aid you as you matriculate . You hear that word, matriculate, that?s a word I?ve learned since I moved on to the college scene! Huh, to think how far I?ve come along. Be grateful for those AP classes. The more you learn now, the more relaxed you will be in college. I know you?ve had your heart set on breaking free but, in-state colleges save money! Fewer loans mean more money to travel with after college. SCHOLARSHIPS, SCHOLARSHIPS, SCHOLARSHIPS! I know your mother keeps nagging you about them, but, she?s right! They hold so much power and you will realize that when you get to where I am. Most importantly, realize that you are a work in progress. There is so much potential in you, so keep focused, relax, take your time, and enjoy the wonderful roller coaster you are about to go on!!!!

Sunny, you are finally a senior in highschool. After this, your life truly begins so do everything in your power to ensure that the next years to come will be successful. Focus, and stay determined. You know that you struggle in math so pay extra attention in class and stay after school when you need extra help. Yes, your friends will want you to do things with them, but studying is more important and will pay off, trust me. If they are your true friends, they will understand and maybe even study with you. I'm telling you this because college math is no joke! The teachers expect you to know material before you get there, and if you do not know it you will be lost. Also take those same study habits and apply it to every subject because you will need to study every subject in college, no matter how good you are at it. Maintaining good grades and study habits are important, but be sure you also work on finding yourself. In college, people from all over will try to persuade different opinions and actions upon you. Stay true to who you are, and stay focused.

Knowing what I know now about the college life and making the transition, I would give myself some very helpful advice. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to be prepared for all types of new experiences. This is what I would say: Hi DeNae! You're about to reach the next important stage of your life, entering into to college is no joke. I want you to take this opportunity seriously and realize that not everyone is getting the same opportunity as you. There are going to be things that you have to experience to make you a better person, but I don't want to tell you what choices to make. Be the best volleyball player you know how; don't let anyone discourage you from being the best. Remember that your academics come first, do not get behind on your classwork. Temptations will be lurking around to grab hold to you, but keeping God first will get you through any and everything. Never settle for less, you are great and therefore, you deserve great. No matter what you do, just know I love you!

My advice I would give to both the parents and the student that will be entering into college is choose the campus that has a positive environment and ask yourself: how you feel once you are on the campus/ If that is a positive feeling all around, probably is somewhere you will feel safe with your child and money for school in. First, for the parents, make sure your student/child understands the importance of school and that someone, if not yourself, believes in them enough to pay for their education. As we all know college is far from being cheap. Second, for the student, go to school with goals and knowing and believing that you can and will accomplish your goal of being a college graduate that did well while you were in school. I like to think of myself as a good example because in high school I was a decent student, but it wasn't until I got to college that I realized I could be doing so much more. With that, at the end of my freshman year I made the Dean's List both semesters. College can be fun, right along with the education! : )