Lancaster Bible College

« See more reviews of Lancaster Bible College

High school students, especially those in their junior and senior years, could use a lot of useful advice regarding college prep. One of the most important things a high school student can do is start applying for scholarships early on. Writing essays and applying for financial aid is no easy feat and it is best if all the monetary issues are taken care of before you enter college. Get your parents involved in the financial aid applications so they can guide you through the process. Also, never underestimate the value of standardized tests, as they can help cut college costs if you get high scores on them. Study for tests such as the SAT®, ACT®, and AP® with your teachers and friends months before the actual test date. Start applying to colleges early, choosing them based on your major and your financial need. There are many colleges out there that are willing to offer big amounts of scholarship money so make your choices wisely after consulting with your parents and your school counselor. The above mentioned tips are provided to help you make the most of your college years and prepare yourself for college successfully!

As a high school senior, I did not prepare myself enough for the college life. I can recall missing an astonishing amount of school days, coming late to my classes and leaving school early. I purposely took mediocre classes so I would not have to try too hard to pass. I definitely slacked off during my senior year, not realizing that just in a few short months I would be responsible for a completely different work load and many new challenges. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would encourage myself to first of all try harder academically. Instead of taking classes that were perhaps even bellow my level, I would challenge myself to take at least one challenging honors course in order to prepare for the vigorous work load that comes with college courses. College professors do not tolerate too many absences or tardiness I would motivate my high school self to try to never miss a single class. High school and college are two completely different worlds and there are many ways a high school student can prepare themselves for the drastic change.

In searching for the perfect college, know what you're looking for, but be open to different ideas. Schools have websites, use them for basic research (i.e. do they have your major, are they in the desired distance from home, religious beliefs). Once the search has narrowed request further information be sent to you from a variety of schools. This will give the admissions office your information. So, write a list of questions which will be deciding factors for your final choice. When the admissions office calls, don't avoid conversation--use the list of questions. If at all possible, visit each school before the final decision is made. This will enable you to see the atmosphere on campus, glimpse the interactions of students with faculty and staff, explore the area for avaliability of stores, food, gas, banks and more. Don't ever be too timid to ask questions, you'll miss out on many opportunities, both legistically and socially. There are people who have been hired to answer you questions, have their name and number/email address stored somewhere.

Please stop your uncle from committing suicuide and focus on God instead of your dad as an alcoholic. Really come to know christ and maybe you could save the lives of your family friend who shot himself and your cousin as well. School is the ay to know more about God and his plans for you. Life has obstacles we must face, but overcoming those obstacles make us who we are. Financially I am broke, but do not fear because we are getting a strong foundation of knowledge that will last us our entire lives. Hopefully someone will help financially towards a life I never though I would have. To be at this college is a God send and it makes me have hope welling inside of my body ready to burst. The only thing you will really struggle with is not with your hope or dreams, but with money. Money is a simple thing, but it gets lost in the complexity of life. Unfortuanately, money is needed to supply us with our dreams, but never give up hope on people and their generousity. Never give up on people inative sense of good and giving soul they were born with.

As a high school senior I had this grand idea of what college life would be like and that once I got there everything would just fall into place. Unfortunately, life is never like that and I had a rough freshman year entering into college because life came at me full force. I would sit down with my high school self and say something like this, "Christina, I know that you have this wonderful idea of what college is going to be like and everything will change once you get there but that is sadly not how it works. While you are still at home you should really begin practicing good financial habits, investing into a savings account, working a real job, and becoming more serious about your studies. In regards to friends, don't try to hard, if it is meant to be then it will fall into place, but never change who you are and what you stand for to gain a friendship. Always take time for people because they matter more than anything else. And finally, get on track with the Lord now and make sure you enter into college with Him on Your side not against.

There are so many thing that I would love to tell myself if I could go back in time. One) I would let myself know to apply for college scholarships while I was young, get involved in lots of community service and talk to guidance counselors a lot to help me determine what to take in college. Two) I would tell myself to not worry so much about boys, or hanging out with friends and to really focus on school, because all those distractions will keep you from achieving amazing things. Three) Take the opportunity to travel, study abroad, learn new things and have a little fun, you are only young once. And Lastly, don't be discouraged. Try subjects that will challenge you and keep focused. Before you know it you will be done with school, so don't not go for a career because of how long it takes. With all the time I have been in school, I could have been a lawyer already. Try not to take any semester breaks, because it gets increasingly harder to go back to school and you also start to forget what you have learned. Trust me I know from experience.

In my four years of high school I attended five different schools, so when I made it to public school my junior year friends were not a big priority. I had a great group of friends my junior year, but during senior year we fell apart. If I were able to go back to that year, I would make sure to do everything possible to keep my group of friends together. Allowing it to all crumble has made me rely on myself and not feel a need to be intentional about friendships, which has often left me alone. Do not get me wrong, I have great roommates and friends at LBC, but they deserve more effort from me. Another piece of advice I would take back to high school is the benefit of being involved in extracurricular activities. I was involved in FCA, but that was my only activity outside of normal classes. I now whish that I had ventured out of my comfort zone into areas that would have given me opportunities to learn and grow. Seeing both of my brothers be involved in band, choir, and soccer makes me with I would have had the courage they do.

Grace, let God work. Stop fighting Him, trust Him. You are going to meet some amazing people at school. They love you and want to be there for you, so let them. Pay attention to the work you do and do it to the best of your ability, you will use it in the future, trust me. Your professors are incredible people who will pour into your life. Enjoy this expirience, it goes faster than you think. Just remember what you are here for, to get an education, to grow closer to Christ and become who He needs you to be. Be open to His leadings and teachings. Never forsake your daily time with Him, it's priceless. You will learn a lot about yourself in the next few years, change what you dont like, and praise God for what you do. You are going to meet an amazing guy, his name is Stephen. He wont be the easiest to love sometimes, but choose love him unconditonally. At this point, you dont know what will happen, but trust God and let Stephen lead. Above all, in growing closer to God, swallow your pride, live for others and live for Christ.

I believe that upon entering college, I had the basic understanding that any new freshman possess when beginning college. I knew that the work load would be harder, but still believed the college experience was going to be full of multiple pleasurable experiences with new friends. Coming to Lancaster Bible College was a mighty stride into the reality of adulthood. It was far more difficult to transition into the college atmosphere than I could have anticipated. The requirement for each class has far exceeded the amount of work I ever imagined. Although college is an amazing growing opportunity in life, it is not as easy as I expected it would be. If I had the chance to go back to myself just a few years ago, I would warn myself of the challenging work ahead, motivating myself to begin building effective study skills and working hard in high school. That way I would be more prepared for the new stage of life called college. Although a wonderful experience, I do wish that I had been better equipped for this experience.

Okay, Shelby, I know that hte best thing in the world is to get out of high school as fast as you can so tha tyou can "get on" with your life. But listen, this IS your life! Livein the here and now, in the moment. Don't rush this next year of your life ecause if you do you will just keep on rushing to the next best thing, never stopping to enjoy where you are. To successfully transition into college you have to enjoy the moments you have now. Planning and looking ahead is not a bad thing, but if you start making the future your focus you are going to miss every moment that you encounter. Essentially, you are going to misss your college years. You can never get them back. Trust me, you are going to a great college. One where you will make life long friends. Appreciate the education you are getting because you will come across people who don't. Don't make their mentatily your mentaility. Finally, I know a part of you is scared. Fear cripples us from doing great things. In this next phase, do not walk by fear, but faith.