Southfield, MI
Lawrence Technological University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lawrence Technological University

Stacia

Lawrence Technological University is a lot different from some universities because of the size. It is a very small campus. Therefore, there are very small class sizes which make it easier to learn in classes and communicate with your professors. Everybody knows everybody at this school which makes it easier to make good friends and such.

College life is a huge transition as it is for most people. You are forced to be more independent. Professors don't push you to do all your work or come to class as did teachers in high school. You have to find a lot more self motivation within yourself to push yourself to do homework and attend classes. You are also living with different people in dorms which causes you to develope better social skills and maybe become more aware of how to deal with living with different kinds of people. You are also forced to figure out how to resolve more problems on your own, considering you are living away from home. The transition to college is not hard though and you will adapt quickly and like the new way of life a lot more exciting than high school life.

You must be self motivated to do well in college. Professors are not constatly pushing you to complete all your assigned work for classes like the teachers in highschool did. Professors still want you to succeed, but they let you decide whether you should complete assigned work and show up for classes. It is all up to yourself if you want to do well or not.

Nate

When you say that you go to LTU. People usually have no idea, unless they are involved with the community. Our Architecture program is very involved and highly technical,thus University of Michigan vacuums up many of the undergrads to form a great Architectural Grad Program (Top in US 2010) I just wish we could have more recognition.

Student body is built on locals, out of states, and a large percentage of internationals. What students wear, ranges from grunge to professional all in the same class. Everyone is poverty stricken when they come here, unless they have a rich uncle who buys everything for them.

Perception is 9/10ths of reality.

The professors all know you by name. The best classes are the social sciences, they make you think about a broader classical perspectives, plus they make writing well a big deal. The professors will always spend time talking with you. Students come with a team focus, but you have to perform individually. The Academic reqs. could use a shake up (thats coming from a senior).

Most commute to school, the in house student body has a mixture of events.

The typical stereotype at Lawrence Tech is divided between three types of students: Inspired (Architecture & Design), Disciplined (Engineering), Visionary (Business & Arts & Sciences). They all however have one outstanding feature: Determination, this is because the costs associated with LTU sap all indecision out of the programs participants. Everyone is focused. This focus can be fun if you want to apply yourself.

Erisa

Engineering and Architecture

Engineering and Architecture

I have learned that the real world experience is much important than the college degree you get . Also you have to have a big focus on what you want do in the future or what your future career would be , to make sense of what you really want to get and learn from college. But, college experience also makes you grow up and realize that there is no other time like college life and thats only then when its OK if you fail as long as you got courage to lear how to get back up on track. Life after college will not be as generous.

That I had to deal with a lot of sleeples nights because my major requried a lot of hard work. Also I wish I knew how small the campus was and that there were not enought student activities.

I have gotten a valuable education that I do not think I would have found at another school. I also have figured out what type of person I want to be and how I want to live the rest of my life. Lawrence Tech focuses on making leaders of every student. I feel more confident and ready to perform the job I have been educated to do. I also feel comofortable asking the university for help after graduation. They have a wonderful career services department which helps students find jobs after graduation. Even though we are in a recession, I believe that I will be able to stand apart from other applicants with my education from Lawrence Technological University.

I wish I had known to reach out to people earlier. Everyone is very nice and not judgemental. Everyone seemes genuinely friendly and I wish I had reached out to more people when i got on campus.

We have great housing on campus. Instead of typical dorms, we have full apartments. The classes are usually small too, so your professors know you by name. The social scene is also very large dispite having a lot of commuter students. There are a lot of ways to get involved on campus.

Joshua

My classmates are positive, encouraging and motivated individuals.

My classmates are positive, encouraging and motivated individuals.

Knowing what I know now, i would give myself advice about a few different aspects of school. First, studying, doing homework and taking tests is the most important thing; Not being able to use notes, calculators (on certain tests), etc... means that doing your homework is the only way to get full knowledge of the material (and pass classes). Second, being social is more than just having fun, it can be a great way to network and provides great sources for collaboration. Lastly, make all the money you can before going to college, because everything (textbooks, supplies, food....etc.), though not necessarily expensive, adds up extremely fast.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this school is one that doesn't have the money for it, as that's the only downside; everything is expensive, even the food (though, it is good food, so I can't complain too much).

Ann

I would tell myself to not make decisions that affect the the present, but to look at what the future could bring. My parents always told me that if I stayed at home for college, they would help me pay for a car. It was an incentive for us to stay at home and simply keep our cost of living down. I did not look much at colleges. I chose a college near home that had the majors I was looking in to. The tuition at the school I chose is more than the cost of both tuition and room and board combined at any of the public universities that I looked at. That was not a large concern as a high school senior. I never had to worry about finances. I just knew that I wanted a car and a school that I would not have to transfer from. I had been to seven schools by the time I went to college and was determined to choose one that I could stay at for a four-year degree. I should have looked more at what the cost was per credit and was the best fit for me.

I wish that I had a better knowledge of what the majors I was considering required and what jobs would be available once the degree was earned. Unfortunatly, in high school, I was unable to take architecture classes due to a conflict in scheduling. Since I was unsure of whether I wanted to major in architecture or psychology, I decided to take the two psychology courses available. I loved both of the classes, but I was curious as to how I would feel about architecture once I learned more about it. My curiosity chose my major instead of previous knowledge.

Jon

Take a few broad classes at a cheap community college to find your desired major, then find out where you want to transfer to. While you are still at a community college, get as many classes out of the way there that you can. Also, don't be afriad to talk to people in your class and get involved in some on campus activities, they really help to pass the time and make each semester fun. Finally, get in shape!

A person who likes a friendly and helpful educational environment. Also someone who likes a challenge, and can afford to attend.

A person that only wants to skate by at an easy college.

Timothy

If i were to go back in time to speak with myself as a high school senior. I would highly encourage myself to take school seriously now and after high school. The sooner I get done with college, the sooner i can make my plans to pursue my career and live my own life.

The best thing I about my school is that it is a highly recognized University for its Engineering and Architecture and yet isnt state funded. Its one of those schools who are known for graduating intelligent sucessful students

When I was younger, I wanted to attend LTU, but felt that I didnt have the grades to make it in. I wish I knew that if I made the opportunity years ago to apply, that i probably could have already been done with college

katherine

slow down. No need to make a million friends in the first day. The truth is, finding your self is not about finding other people. It's easier to just take your time and find things out slowly.

The lack of financial aid. The lack of ability to talk to a fin aid person one on one. The lack of security. The fact that security is a joke

How it's small and really gives you a one on one relationship with the professors

Stephen

When I left high school I was not prepared to go to a school that demanded as much from me as it did. I would have saved some money by immediately attending a junior college before transferring to a University. However, how could I have know that I was not prepared for a rigorous curiculum until I was put into that position. Regardless, the programs that are now established today for the transition from junior college to a University are much more solid than they have ever been. It's a great way to bridge the gap for students that are unsure of which direction they would like to initially take.

Lawrence Technological University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.