Lenoir-Rhyne University

« See more reviews of Lenoir-Rhyne University

Returning to school became a must after having my daughter, knowing full well I would be raising her alone. Previous to having her I suffered a critical, life-threatning accident, depression and anxiety: ultimately becoming disabled. I know that I cannot raise a little girl on my own, living on disability. So I fight everyday to get to school and too get good grades. I started at a community college, Rockland Community in NY, and I found that I thoroughly enjoy learning. A teacher let me in on a little secret: if you excel and get good grades, you can finance your education that way. I earned membership into Phi Theta Kappa, an international honor society, and that opened up so many opportunities. Being a single mother, I cannot do all of the things I want to as far as extra-curricular activities are concerned. And, suffering from severe anxiety, I tend to keep my head down. But, I can tell anybody in a similiar position, I am starting Fordham University in the Fall. I am fufilling my dream, and learning first-hand how to beat my own disabilities and I will be getting an Ivy League Education.

Making the final decision on what college to attend kind be extremelly stressful. It is important for the student and family to visit each college that they are interested in. It is also important that the student base their decision on the career path that they have choosen. I am a nursing major and I feel like the small school environment has helped me to excel in my academics. Being a socially driven person, the distractions of large schools could have lead me off path and into trouble. With all the many scholarships available, the cost of private institutions can be minimized. Go with your gut feeling, any school you choose will feel normal, just be sure that the decision has been well thought out and finalized for the right reasons. To the students, listen to your parents and advisors. Do not pick a school just because you like their sports team or just because your friend is going there. Look ahead into the future and imagine how you would like to see yourself in five years. Pick a school that you feel can help you reach that goal, because remember, this is why you attend college.

Upon completing high school, there are many things students hope to receive from their college experience. Lifelong friends and loads of fun are the things that seem most important; that is, until you get to college. My focus completely changed when I got to college. I realized what would really be important in life: a good education. In high school, i was a slacker and procrastinator but at Lenoir-Rhyne I have learned many skills that have helped me to overcome those qualities. I've learned how to balance academics and my personal life, how to study, and most importantly how to manage my time (which really came in handy when I began to join clubs and start working). From Lenoir-Rhyne I have gained friends that are always willing to help, faculty that want the best for me, and values that will live with me forever. The small class sizes and campus support has definitely been worthwhile, and will definitely prove to be when I get into my dream grad school!! My focus has changed and I now have the grades and resume to prove it. If I could go back and make changes, I wouldn't.

Day by day i wake up knowing that, I am a college student. Its been a kind of hard transition out of high school , dealing with all the freedom, trying to carry out the responsibilites to the class. This is going to be my thrid quarter at Green River Community College, and what I learned so far is that I shouldnt take any class for granite because im paying for the classes. So far, my college expericence has been great, the instructors I previously had were very intelligent in the sense of helping peolpe with their every needs, having office hours that work fittingly with people's schedules, and they all took time out their day to assist me with certain material I didnt understand. Since ive been in college it has been valuable for me to attend, because i know im going to learn something new everyday that's going to have a positive outlook in my future. I attend because I want to make something of myself, I attend because I wanted to be the first in my family to get a college degree. I attend because I want to extend my learning capabilities.

You are bright. You are unique. You are hardworking, and responsible. Regardeless of what other students, teachers, and members of the community have to say about you, you must believe that you are enough the way you are, and that you will be successful. The opinions that people have formed about you the past four years in high school will be completely irrelevant the moment you step foot onto your college campus. College will be an entire new beginning for you, and I encourage you to make the best of it. Leave any negative thoughts you have of yourself behind, because it will be over and done with. Take pride in what you know is great about yourself, and strive to make your dreams come true. Senior year is going to fly by, appreciate every minute, even the unfavorable aspects of it. Do not focus on proving those who doubt you wrong, but center your intentions on proving yourself right. You know that failure is inevitable in life, but you also know success is highly achievable. Believe in yourself, and fantastic things will come about.

Moving into college is a big step in your life, a step that not everyone has the opportunity to experience. You only experience it once in your lifetime, it can be very hard for you to do this if you are not prepare. In order to get ready for this step you have to do work hard on a few things. First able you have to plan out how you are going to pay the tuition, contact your administration office of your recent school, talk to your parents and find out how they can help; whether they going to support you (if any support), you must apply for scholarships and grants. Once you have figure out how you going to pay for your college, now is the time for you to start looking for the colleges you desire to go, and find out what are the advantages of each college and choose the one that best suits you. When that day comes for you to depart to college, have your family and close friends (if any) come with you to help you move in. This transition is a big process in your life and it could be unforgettable.

Anna, you're smarter than you think you are. Do not waste your time working at job that makes you miserable. While you're young, it is time to reach for the stars in the sky and seize your dreams! Start today by focusing more on your education now, in high school. College is not hard, but it builds on what you already know. Anything that won't matter in ten years, anyone who will drag you down with them... forget them. Don't give up on a class or a professor. Sometimes, the ones you don't like at first become the best ones! College is hard work, no doubt. Deadlines, assignments, group projects, tests. You are going to be the first person in your family to receive a college degree! You and your future family will live a better life than your parents ever did, or even you did, as a child. A teaching job is the most precious job in the world. People trust their children in your care, and you have the privilege to mold the new generation. Learn what you can, because you are learning for them.

While I enter my senior year of college, I think back and realize how nice it would be if I could pass all the knowledge I have now back to a young high school girl nervously awaiting her college years. First I would say, it's okay if you don't know what you want to be. I would say it's okay to change your mind; you still have time to make this decision and it's yours to make. If I could go back, I would say don't let distance scare you. I would reassure myself that my family and friends will always be there even if I move away. I would tell myself that I'm not alone and there's a whole group of people going into their first year who are just as nervous as I am and they will soon become lifelong friends. I would tell myself that college is where you find yourself. Above all else, I would l look at my high school self and let her know that it will all be okay. I would tell her to relax and get ready for the biggest step of her life.

Concerning choosing a college, actively seek what will give you the best broad education possible. Do not be timid ? hold each school liable to the highest degree concerning weaknesses and give due credit when you find a school that does something well. Use this to gage where your calling lies. This will be your alma mater, your school for the rest of your life. Take hold of the opportunity and pursue it with industrious fervor. And by no means are you to expect that once you are at school that your college experience will simply come to you. No! Be active as much as you can in all number of extracurricular activates, Greek life, music ensembles, and political activism. This is the college experience which you seek when applying to a school of higher education ? this is what it is all about. Much luck to you and your family as you begin the greatest part of your life so far.

Out of my college experience thus far I have learned college isn't as easy and fun as it seems and everyone make it out to be. College takes time, dedication, responsibility, and major growing up. In my college experience I have learned that procrastinating turns into long nights that turn into mornings, friends are a dime dozen, and you'll never appreciate where you came from and your raising any more in you life. College is hard and isn't all parties and being free from parents. Sure, there will be partie that you have to take responsibility for yourself..and others. You will miss your mom, regardless....rather it's her washing your clothes, fixing you a sandwich, or beng able to admit you just miss your Mommy and spending time with her. College this far has taught me more about myself than I ever knew I could learn, from religion to morals to friends to growing up.