Martin Luther College

« See more reviews of Martin Luther College

Students need to reflect upon themselves and find out what they enjoy doing. From there they need to look for a college that focuses on those interests. Get as much information on the college or colleges that you find and read up on them so you can make an honest and good decision. To make the most of a college experience I would say the best way to do this is to have students pay for as much of their tuition as they can on their own. It becomes more personal that way. Students are more likely to focus and do a better job then, because if they don't it is their money that they are waisting and not someone elses. It also gives a person a taste of what it is like to be on your own, but you still have that family base to fall on when it is needed. Another thing that will help a student make the most of college is getting as involved as possible without grades getting bad. The more active you are in extra curriculars, the more you will feel a part of the school. It also helps as a homework break.

As a parent, make sure you are supportive of your child in their school choice. Going to college is a hard enough experience as it is, but to have parents who don't support your decision, makes it even harder. Stay involved with your child's activites in school to show that even though they might be far away at college, you still care about them and support their decision. As a student, it's not necessarily true that you have to be sure about your career choice when you enter college. Go to the college of your choice with an open mind, willing to accept that while at school for a certain major, you might find something else that peaks your interest. Don't settle for a career choice just because you think that's the only thing you can do. Be passionate about what you want to do in life, and realize it might take you a while to figure it out. Be involved at school in as many activites as you can and make lots of friends, so when you look back on your college career, you don't regret anything.

Through attending college I have gained an experience which I could have not gained elsewhere. First and foremost, I have received the education necessary to be adept for the job which I am pursuing, and will be placed in at graduation. Apart from the academic benefit of attending college, I have made friends which I will be able to connect with for the rest of my life. Also, the college which I am attending has placed me in a community of fellow workers who will continue to support me throughout my ministry. Overall, my college experience so far has allowed me to grow into the young woman that I am. I would never take this experience for granted, because I know that each and every day brings me one step closer to fulfilling my dreams.

I would tell myself is to listen to my dad when he told me to apply for scholarships right away, and apply for as many scholarships that I can. Waiting to apply can is one of the worst things, because may have to take out many more loans than you may want. As for the transition to college life I would let myself know that I would be getting homesick and that it was something that I should try to not let get to me, and to just find ways to keep myself busy. Another thing is that college classes are in some ways similar to high school classes, except you need to learn to study, the tests in college are harder then you may think. Besides these few things I don?t really think that I would change anything else about my college life.

There are so many choices to be made: what school to go, what major to decide, what meal plan! Just take a deep breathe! There are many students who go through these decisions. What you want to do is talk to other students from different universities and different majors to see what fits you. If you choose wrong that is okay! College is a time for change! I have transfered schools once and I have changed majors three times! Even with all this change I am still on the right track and becoming even closer to my goal of becoming a teacher (even though I didn't know I wanted to do this at first). Talk things out! Have fun, it's college, you only get this experience once in your life. So make the most of it.

When deciding what college fits best into the students plans, you need to remember a few things. College is a very important step in your life. Good grades and involvement in extra-curriculars can get you the necessary skills and support to do the best you can in whatever you do. Remember, however, that college is not all about the "school" part. It is the best time in your life to have fun, make life-long friends, and live with no regrets. College needs to be a good mix between responsibilty and your final hoorah before you enter the full-time work force. Be careful to balance those two sides carefully because if they're not balanced, you will not get everything you should from college.

Be open. Your student might not know exactly what they want to do, and that's okay. If they decide they want to switch colleges to figure out what they want to do, let them. Also, college for many, is a huge step toward being independent. Let your student be independent. College is about studying for what you want to do in life. It's a big desicion. Parents should offer advice and insight, but overall it has to be the students choice. Students should think about what they enjoy doing. There's a college out there for everything these days. If you can't enjoy the career that you chose to study, then....well...............why wouldn't you want to enjoy your career?

Look at the schools test scores (ACT) and where you fall in relation to those test scores. Choose someplace that offers one of the best training for the career you intend to pursue. Of course find out if the school is accredited. If education is something you want to pursue as a career choice look at if the college will offer you an opportunity for your state lisence (espeically if it is a private college) and how widely that state lisence is accepted. Other than that find a school where the professors and the dean are there to help you, make you feel at home, and are outgoing and personable to you and your family.

College is a time to learn about yourself and who you are and who you want to be. You have countless opportunities to explore and learn. Make the most of them. You do not want to go through life thinking, "What if I had tried out for that?" or "What if I had taken that course?" Go with your gut and be true to yourself. Do not be pressured by those around you. If something or someone makes you feel uncomfortable, walk away from them. You are now a young adult. You make your own decisions in your life. Know how to have fun, but be diligent with your studies as well. Become a well-rounded person for life.

I would tell myself to take all classes seriously. If I missed out on anything during my college experience, it was completely my fault. I know that I learned a lot during my time at Martin Luther College, but I know that I could have learned much more had I taken each class seriously. There were times I did not try very hard in classes and chose to spend my time on other things. I would tell myself to study harder and to go above and beyond what the curriculem required.