Midwestern State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Midwestern State University

micaiah

Overall, I would say that Midwestern State University is a good school. There are many different clubs and organizations to get involved with and on campus. There is also a wide variety of people that are from all over the states and countries as well. The food is okay, and the housing is pretty good. However, the location of the school is sorely lacking. You are pretty much in the middle of nowhere, so the student/party life is not really there. The campus is pretty dead on the weekend as well as most students go home or stay in their rooms. I am transferring this fall to another university, but my time at MSU was well spent. I will always appreciate and cherish it as it allowed me to really discover a college campus, make life-long connections, and find out what was really for me. Thank you for that MSU; I will always appreciate the time I spent at the university.

Briana

I believe this school can have a lot to offer for the city that it is in. MSU is located in the small town of Wichita Falls, as long as you stay involved. I transferred from the University of Houston so this was a big change for me. I believe that even though they are a smaller school, the one big thing that lacks the most is school spirit. It's sad to see how small of a crowd shows up. They also share a stadium with the surrounding high schools in the area. They seem to have little to no traditions at this school. They need to do a better job in that department. But they also do very well in academics and have a pretty good nursing program. Overall it is a good school, but It needs some work in those departments.

Rebekah

I feel that Midwestern State University is a wonderful school to attend! There is literally always something happening on campus. Student Life makes sure that whether there is an art lecture, magician, or just a movie night with popcorn happening on campus, we are all aware of it. The professors try their best to give us all a well-rounded education and do everything they can to make us more marketable to future employers. This is a school to not just learn about adulthood, but a place to make sure your adulthood thrives!

Peyton

I was so nervous to stay in my hometown for university, but I knew it was a smart decision for me both financially and personally. I had already formed an opinion on Midwestern State University before I even attended my first class. This opinion was engendered by my high school teachers telling me to "dream bigger" and other authority figures telling me I wouldn't get the full "college experience." I appreciate their concern, but Midwestern State has been an amazing option for me. No, it is not a huge campus with the fanciest of facilities in the best town, but it is constantly growing and ALWAYS inspiring. MWSU has pushed me to achieve my academic dreams and to pursue even bigger dreams in my future career. The full "college experience" is here, but it is up to each student to take advantage. Over all, I am mostly thankful for the open professors who are constantly concerned about my mental well-being and academic success, for the multiple organizations that encourage school and community involvement, and for the campus spirit that has reminded me that even staying in your hometown for university can allow for the best years of your life.

Alexis

Great faculty! People you talk to when you first come to school help you all throughout your academic career even after you aren't their student or advisee anymore! The professors definitely know what they are teaching and have a great way to keep you engaged in the class! Even the ones that have tenure are still super helpful and don't just say to figure it out yourself.

Robert

Midwestern State University is a very decent college overall. Being a very closed off person, I may not be the most qualified to give a complete review, but what I have seen and experienced of it, I thoroughly enjoy. I am glad to have been a part of it.

Ciara

It's a small, nice school. The meal plan is way too high for the ridiculously limited dining hours and such few options on campus dining. The only popular option seems to be always Chick-a-fil because there's always a line there. The cafeteria food is...Well, it's not the best but decent enough to eat it....Sometimes, haha. It's a hit or a miss thing..it's always missing. The professors really do care about you and are willing to help you succeed in class, even the ones who aren't the best at teaching. But there seems to be several professors whose accent is difficult for us to understand so it makes the class a bit harder academically unless you go to them for help. It's very diverse! They are friendly, some are a bit stuck up, some are very genuine. The dorms are much better than other universities' dorms, because the desks and dressers and closets are bigger and gives plenty of rooms and more privacy, plus you get a big sink with a mirror and cabinets underneath as well! Except for the communal bathrooms but they're private though.....Sometimes it seems it always get so dirty fast, though. People are so gross sometimes. Walls are really thin apparently, because you can hear anything from outside and inside of the dorm rooms...I can clearly hear the toilet flushing all the time. Their tap water tastes a bit unusual but isn't dirty or anything, and that's what we have so no choice. Their chemistry department isn't the best, especially there being not enough equipment in the labs...It's still decent enough though. The social life is....Bland and dull around here. It's difficult finding friends who cares about you here....From my experience so far. I would meet people but never see them again or hear from them. Or the friendship only lasts like a week or a month or two. Hmm. There's not alot to do off or on campus (bc many commute home so yeah it's pretty dead on the weekends unless you are in a sorority or fraternity), besides the student center and the workout place and the mall/shopping centers, really. You might want to have a car, because the shuttle bus isn't always reliable and doesn't take you to other places besides churches and apartments and the campus, except on Friday and Saturday nights. It sucked waiting forever in cold weather with bags of a week worth of groceries. I also had to walk like a half mile across the parking lot to get to the bus stop , with heavy groceries. So grateful for my car now. But the parking lots are rather far from the dorms so still gotta haul them groceries across the parking lot to the building lol. Now, in Killingsworth Hall, which is coed for a while apparently, the elevator is really slow and seems to break down occasionally. But oh well, there's the stairs anyways, which can be tiring if you live on the highest floors. The washers and dryers are free, yet they always have hairs or threads in them and smells a bit gross and breaks once a month. Fire alarms going off like twice a month late at night usually which is annoying especially if you have an 8am or 9am class. The kitchens and lounges are big and okay, but they need to be updated as well as the fridges and microwaves in the dorm rooms. The elevator needs to be updated and fixed and go faster for real. Overall, I would give it a 3.5 star rating, probably 4 just for the such caring professors. Update: I'm staying here and I'm living in the legacy hall next semester bc I'm sick of killingsworth (it's pretty much the last option on most students' list and that tells you alot lol) and can finally afford Legacy Hall as I had the option of the cheapest meal plan they offer....thank god. But at least Killingsworth doesn't have mold or bug or crappy AC (altho some ACs dont work in several rooms, esp the study rooms and the lounges), and plumbing problems unlike other universities because the maintenance people get right on it in like an hour or a day after you send them a complaint!

Madison

Midwestern State University is a great school. I am a current freshman and Nursing major. I plan on staying at MSU all four years. The class size is perfect, about 30 people in each classroom except for the large lectures which are still a good size. The professors are all approachable and have no problem with talking to you after class about a certain subject. MSU is an awesome school and there are so many organizations to be involved in.

Brianna

Midwestern State University is full of diverse individuals with unique personalities and views of the world. This along with the sense of school pride, amazing food and killer athletics, make Midwestern a perfect place for any student seeking global enrichment. The campus contains many ethnic and religious organizations which are not prejudice nor exclusive. Also with the small classroom sizes, professors are easily accessible. As for academics, if you enjoy to learn in a hostile/ judgement free zone that encourages creativity and free thought then Midwestern State is the University for you.

Allyson

I love this school! It is the perfect size, has a great atmosphere, and the classes have great teachers as well as being small enough to encourage participation. I have never regretted making the decision to come to this school, and now that I am here, I would never choose another school.

Katherine

Midwestern State University is a truly remarkable university. Not only is it affordable, but it is a great place to learn. The small class sizes allow you to get to know your teacher and other students. The teachers are always willing to help if you are struggling in a class or just want some extra help. In addition, there are a lot of extracurricular activities and ways to get involved, no matter what you are interested in. Get involved, join some clubs, attend sporting events, and you will fit right in at MSU. You won’t find a better school out there.

jessica

It's a great campus to live and study. Everyone here is so friendly, there's always something to do around campus, whether it's attending soccer or football games or attending a show in the Akin auditorium. Some professors are usually always available and help you in any way possible.

Heather

When I was a senior in high school, I was researching the perfect school for me to attend upon graduation. I narrowed my searches down through many factors such as price and dorm room size: only child for 10 years who does not share well with others. I visited Midwestern State University December 2008, and I knew this is where I was meant to be for the next 4 years. MSU felt like home as soon as I walked on campus. Their traditions, athletic excitement, academic success and integrity made this the best choice for me. I created some of the best of friends in classes or while rooting on our ranked athletic teams. The traditions for Midwestern are unique to the university such as thier annual Caribbean fest. Although a small school, the culture and diversity is suprising and refreshing. Midwestern State University is a school striving for excellence while creating an environment students can find a purpose.

Andrew

Whenever I first came to Midwestern State University I just got that amazing feeling about the school itself. The people are amazing and so friendly. The campus is just so beautiful and the safety they have on their campus is just amazing. I have never seen a school that takes the safety of their students so seriously. The school was amazing an right whenever I got there I knew it was going to be the school I was going to go to. I am proud to be a mustang at Midwestern State University.

Jaqueline

My opinion of Midwestern State University is that it is a great campus with attentive professors and a great set of degree options to choose from. It is an overall safe haven on campus and the school provides an ambient space for its students. The food is great and the numerous clubs the school has to offer are impressive. It is a great school and one of my top choice universities!

As of 2018, MSU has gone through some pretty rough patches, but I oversee the situation & believe that it is still one of the best campus to be on. Although, I do hope in future they fix their major issue I do have my best foot forward for this campus.

Caytlin

Midwestern State University is a great school! The University offers something for everyone and has a great campus and student life! Professors are very helpful and staff is friendly. I glad to make Midwestern my University! Go Mustangs! Small town school with the energy of a large school.

Chirelle

Midwestern State University is a good school which fosters the well rounded education of its students. There are a lot of sporting activities as well as fine arts and multicultural activities on campus year round. Academically, Midwestern is also a great institution. There are numerous campus climate surveys which occur throughout the school year which seek to improve student life and ease accessibility.

Caleb

MSU has a beautiful, cozy campus. Professors here are willing to help you and your time here is worthwhile. MSU may seem like a small university with nothing going on, but there's a welcoming, happy community that'll make you feel at home. Help was always available for me and teachers are willing to work with you. It's hard to start a club, but there's definitely a club for you to get into there. It's safe. They have emergency buttons everywhere that call the police to you right that moment.

Being here for the past four years has had its ups and downs, but overall this University has given me many opportunities, many great life-long friends, and many experiences I will never forget. I wouldn’t trade it for the world! The campus has also developed a lot over these years and is becoming even more engaged with the students who are attending. It’s honestly a great school.

I love MSU! From the moment I stepped foot on campus when I toured last year I knew it was the college I wanted to attend. It's far away from home, but not to far away, it's also a decent sized campus; not too big, but not too small either. MSU is my second home and I look forward to attend my second year here!

Morgan

Midwestern State University is a place where I feel welcomed and at home. The academics, the main reason why I'm here, are amazing and the professors are extremely qualified for their positions. The professors are very approachable and eager to help anyone who is having trouble with the coursework. The class sizes are small to medium, and that is something that I love about the school. Outside of the academics, there are countless amounts of extracurricular activities and clubs to join. The University Programming Board, or UPB, puts together fun campus activities every Tuesday all year round. All in all, I love my school.

keyana

So far, Midwestern State University is a good school to attend. There are many sweet people who showed us around the university. The best part about it is that it's such a good living environment! Everyone seems to enjoy there space and the people around them. I will be attending MSU in the fall!

Zachariah

Great school! Has an amazing home feel to it. The staff and students are very polite and friendly. I look forward in attending this school. I’ve heard of their education program and I feel it’s the best fit for me. I highly recommend this college for other education majors.

Ashleigh

Midwestern State University provides a safe and welcoming environment for learning. The campus is a good size, not too large but not too small. The staff on campus are friendly and encouraging. My professors make themselves available to all students, whether it be during office hours, or setting up study sessions to answer any questions before exams.

Celia

Overall Midwestern is a good campus. From the professors to other staff members on campus, are very engage with their students, and or very determined to make sure there students pass their classes and graduate on time.

Jaden

My overall opinion about Midwestern State University is that I feel at home at this school. I enjoy how everybody interacts with one another, also I like how everything is walking distance. There isn’t that much places around the school but it’s cozy and makes you feel comfortable. Midwestern gives me a little distance from my family and it gives me the opportunity to be on my own but if i'm in need of help it’s not that far away. This school shows me a different view of living, because it’s not so big and crowded as much as Arlington is. I love how friendly everyone is, and how much of a difference it is from other schools I have visited these past years.During homecoming week, MSU offers a whole week dedicated to fun games and themed activities for students from every department to participate in. I originally had planned on going to a different University until I visited Midwestern. The school changed my mind instantly, the schools Athletic Training Program I am looking forward to getting in to because there football team is great and the program itself is as well.The athletic department is very good and all of our teams do fairly well considering our smaller size. Football games are the most popular, attracting the biggest crowds. There's always pre-game football parties that get students hyped and involved. This school is great if someone is trying to go to a smaller University but also be active and involved with everything. This school tailgates all types of fun during spirit weeks and I can’t wait to be a part of it.

Andrea

I really enjoy this campus and I feel at home here. I am able to make friends in class and outside of class. The people here are really nice and make sure you are taken good care of. They want you to have the best possible college experience. No matter the time of day, there is always somebody available to help you on campus.

Evin

I am a freshman here at Midwestern State University so i have yet not being through the full experience of being a student here. The school is not bad at all, I am currently in the new hall they built this year(Legacy) and I am pretty satisfied.The building is very peaceful and there is one kitchen for every hall, washing clothe is free as well. There is not a lot of people in this school, most classes are small and there is a couple that have over one hundred students. There is a lot of activities to do such as recreational events. Students are very respectful and are friendly. The Wellness Center(Gym) is well taken care of and has a lot of equipment's to stay in shape. There is an indoor basketball court and running track as well, and there is an out door pool.The weather is nice most of the time but when it rains, it really rains. Professors are always available according to their office hours. The library and the study room in Legacy are really good places to study, they're very quiet and peaceful. There's really not much to do outside of school. The mall is really small and down town is very lonely and creepy during the night. Over all the school is great education wise and organizing events/activities for students to participate in. Outside of school everything is boring, there really isn't much to do during the weekend.

I love MSU! It's a decent sized school in a great little town. The campus food sucks, but that's why we have Chick-fil-a and Einstein's. Campus housing is nice, just kind of expensive depending on where you want to be and how private you want your space to be. Go Mustangs!

Tira Ai

I am currently a student at Midwestern State University, and I am happy to say that it is good university for individuals who are not 100% sure they want to pursue a further education. I say that because this university is not big at all. In fact, this university is small enough to know who is in your class, and easily get to classrooms without getting lost. Being in small university, one can find friends easily who have the same interests as you. The classroom capacity is never too full, so contacting your professor is quite easy. If someone is looking for small school to attend, that offers just the same benefits as any school, Midwestern State University is good college to consider.

Fostina

A great school that's very diverse. There is always something new going on. Lots of opportunity to learn different cultures and mannerism. Class sizes are good unless you're taking a extremely basic class. I enjoyed my time and I look forward to getting my Masters in the Fall 2017 semester. Tuition is extremely reasonable and there are alot of scholarship opportunities. There's only one complaint that about parking but I believe that is being worked on.

Ayesha

The thing I love most about midwestern state university is the class sizes. I find that I enjoy the smaller classes for a more one on one learning experience with the professor. Not every class is like this, but the professors are good in, in my opinion, for the most part. Just be sure to check rate my professor before you register for classes.

Yolanda

My major is actually Humanities with a focus in world cultures which is the reason why I came to MSU. It's the only public, liberal arts school in Texas and the only one that I have found with this major. Humanities allows for a deeper understanding and broader outlook on the world and truly creates a more well rounded individual. The professors here are great; I've not met one I didn't like. There are quite a few that I've grown very close with. We are friends on Facebook and I've been to their house. Midwestern State cares about its students and that's what sets it apart from other universities. I've gotten immense help with financial aid, counseling services, and academics. It's truly a university for the students and not for the money.

ELIZABETH

It an amazing college to attend i would suggest visting this amazing camus and learn more about their programs

Koby

My overall opinion right now is great, i plan on going to the college for four years. I I didn't know anything about this school until a recruiter came into my AVID class to talk to us about MSU. I saw the great opportunity to go to this college we she handed us the papers.

Ismael

It is a very large school. What I mean by this is that although the student body is roughly 6-8,000, the class sizes are small. One does not get lost i n the crowd. Professors personalize the subject matter. They take time to address student issues and questions. Also, being a small student body, this university has a HUGE DIVERSE student population: Caribbean, Middle Eastern, and Asian populations are large, which adds great variety and interest to our classes and activities. Furthermore, it is quite easy to make friends, study groups, etc. No one seems to be too stuck-up or give an elitist attitude. Finally, the support for students is overwhelming. Tutors are often available until 10pm! Some will even be available on Saturday.

Darby

Midwestern State University is a great place to attend. I absolutely love it. Everyone is so friendly and always willing to help out. I always felt safe on campus, and never felt intimidated by other students. The activities are a blast and i could not imagine myself going anywhere else.

Alexandra

The overall education at my school is excellent. If you are a business major, Midwestern State is a great place to attend. The school has great facilities and a good staff. Although there are great things to Midwestern, there are things that are not satisfactory. The cafeteria food does not offer a wide variety of healthy foods. It consists of pizza, hamburgers, the daily hot lunch, and other oily foods. There is a small salad bar that consists of wilted and unfresh vegetables. I personally do not care for the city that the university resides in. The city is called Wichita Falls. The city is very spread out and if you do not have a car it is hard to get around. To me, the city is smaller than I'd hoped for and there are limited things to do here.

Melissa

Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls is a very nice school. I moved from a college town to a college town and the differences between the two are at both end of the spectrum. To be attending a school so devoted to their students and academics is amazing.

Jacqueline

I first visited MSU my sophomore year of high school and I fell in love with it. I then again visited my senior year of high school and I automatically knew it was my school. I walked on to the campus and I was overly excited. The classes were a perfect size, the professors cared so much and were so kind, honestly it was the best pick.

Karen

Midwestern state university is very cultural and you just don't see a specific race . There's many students outside the U.S and its extremely friendly , I honestly met a lot of students from different ethnicities and race. Staff very friendly always helping students were every building is at and any questions. The campus food is great, many options to choose from and for people who are gluten free or vegetarian there's options for them to. Academics wise is extremely high, small classrooms better way to actually communicate with professors. Its a good place to live and learn .

Sheyla

Midwestern State University is a very kind and friendly school. Everyone here is so helpful and the teachers are really helpful and are always willing to help. The study environment is really good also. There are many resources to use whenever we have a paperer project due.

Allyson

Midwestern State University is a school, that I am very excited to say that I will be attending in the fall of 2018. Even though I have not been in a class I m excited that the class sizes are small and that the professors are easy to acces. I also like that the tutoring center is open all the time and if you get stuck at the mall and your car won’t stop or you just want to be walked across scampi’s because it is dark the campus police will take you. The final two things that ienjoy are people with disabilities have access to whatever they may need and the field that I will be study has just opened up a beand new building to work in.

I am pleased with my experience thus far at MSU. the size of the classrooms are great and the professors are very involved. The campus itself is quite small which is nice because it is easy to get from class to class. There is plenty to do everyday around campus.

Jillian

Midwestern is a great small school, but sometimes it seems like they are more interested in getting a student to enroll than the students who are currently enrolled. They recently built a 500-student dorm, but it was built so quickly that there have been many problems with the building. One plus is that I've never felt unsafe on my campus, even at night. It's a very short walk; it only takes about 10 minutes to get all the way across campus.

Kameron

Overall I would say that Midwestern is the perfect school for someone that is looking for something that's not too big and not too small , but the perfect size. Classes are easy to find, the teachers actually care whether you are learning or not, and the overall environment is great. It's a great atmosphere to be around and a great place to chase your degree!

Crystal

My overall opinion of Midwestern State University (MSU) is that it is an amazing educational institution that puts it faculty and students at the forefront. They ensure that their policies are equal and obtainable to others and that all individuals involved are comfortable enough in their own skin. They ensure the general welfare of others and make sure the rules created are exercised and put to their appropriate use. Midwestern cares about its reputation, which is a good thing. If a school cares about its reputation, they will make sure that everything is perfect or of like mind. MSU will see to it that you get your money's worth from your education. Another great thing about this campus is that there is a mass of opportunities present to a diverse number of individuals who attend this institute. This is a big deal since many of us are looking to pursue different career paths. There are clubs and halls that one can find to relate to others that share a similar conviction. This university is not just a campus to some, it is also a home for many.

ANA

My opinion on Midwestern State University is that it is a very affordable college. The class size are just perfect therefore, I know I will be getting good attention. Also, the campus is safe and beautiful. The staff and administrators are friendly and kind. I plan on attending this college after my visit.

Tonatiuh

My oppinion is that Midwestern State University is a extremely affordable school comparing it to Southern Methodist University. I have outstanding opinions from the music program which is magnificent. I have gone to Midwestern State University as a visitor and the community there is very unique. Everyone on campus are always greeding people with a smilie. This a university that is on my top 5 list and desperately would like to attend.