Minneapolis, MN
Minneapolis College of Art and Design

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Minneapolis College of Art and Design

Kiana

As a born and raised New Yorker, attending MCAD has been a great experience so far. There’s a huge focus on self-care for all students alike and they offer student counseling that students can attend either in a group or as a one on one. MCAD puts great emphasis on respecting the pronouns of their students and faculty. They carry an abundance of pronoun stickers and pins and are more than willing to change a student’s legal name to their preferred name in their official records. In each class I have attended in my very first week of MCAD, my professors would request that everyone shares with them their preferred names and pronouns. I myself am not trans, but it warms my heart to see how inclusive this college is, ensuring that everyone feels comfortable, regardless of their identity. Back when I was in high school, freshmen would be jeered at and teased simply because they were freshmen. There is none of that here. The upperclassmen of MCAD are very caring and supportive of everyone at MCAD. Freshmen are even assigned peer mentors that are frequently available for just about anything, whether it’s to chat, ask questions, get assistance, or to even hang out. The Bistro (cafeteria) at MCAD serves delicious food for reasonable prices. One of my favorites so far is their chicken tenders and fries. The staff working at the Bistro are very nice and patient, not giving its customers attitude or strange looks for requesting extra sauce (a fairly common trait in fast-food restaurants). They also frequently offer great deals, such as getting a 20% discount on combo meals for the fall semester. As a freshman living on campus, the dorms are decent, not great, but decent. The rooms and furniture provided in the furnished apartments are rather old but still functional. However, that is not the case for every student who has been living on campus. During a required meeting in the main building of MCAD with our resident assistant, numerous students mentioned having issues with their dorms upon their first arrival. Some issues included an air conditioner that was hanging haphazardly off the wall, odd scents, missing certain items that were supposed to come with their furnished dorms such as a plunger, damages lamps, and damaged bathrooms. Despite all these issues, however, the resident assistant takes care of those issues in a timely manner upon the report given by the student. When it comes to safety, MCAD takes the wellbeing of its students very seriously, offering numerous options in terms of reporting sexual assaults and harassment, some options allowing confidentiality or anonymity. Public Safety is also there at MCAD to transport MCAD students safely to their homes at night within a 1-mile radius. Not only is the college very artsy, but so is the neighborhood. There are numerous shops and restaurants that each hold their own unique charms, especially the establishments on and in the vicinity of Eat Street and Nicollet Avenue. This college has left an excellent impression on both me and my peers and I can’t wait to see what MCAD has in store for the future.

Gabriela

There are artsy cliques sometimes but you can be friends with anyone here from different majors. The professors are really fond of talking to students one on one about their creative practice and time here. People in financial aid or other offices might be a little bit of a difficult time, sometimes had to correct what aid I had and find them some to add.

Olivia

I have wanted to go to MCAD since I was in 7th grade and I love it! From the different majors to the other students around me! Everyone is so kind and creative! There are more than enough mediums to work with in the school and there is even an art store on campus! Loaded with stuff and books you will need for specific classes

Margaret

Minneapolis College of Art and Design is a pleasant, small school, with a big sense of heart. This school cares about its students. The classes are kept small, so there is a connection we as students create with our professors, and we know and understand that they care about us and our education. I could not have picked a better school to help me with my academic career.

Eleanor

MCAD is a really great art school with a small campus and lots of activities. MCAD has great academics for those pursuing a career in the arts and gives students a lot of resources to help them be successful. The teachers are wonderful and attentive, they are great mentors.

Isabel

My school has several great qualities. Many of the teachers are more happy to teach, the facilities are superb, and the students are dedicated to their studies. But one of the places where MCAD lacks quality is in their concern with race issues. My college prides itself in making sure people of all genders are recognized and heard, but people of different ethnicities and races other than white are often placed on the backburner. This is an issue that I and other friends of color have been starting to talk to administration about. Several times, excuses were made for teachers that participated in microaggressions. This needs to be addressed at my school and I am doing my part in order to give people of color, a group of which I belong to, recognition they deserve.

Jasmine

MCAD is a great school for those who want a unique college experience. Housing is top notch although you aren't guaranteed housing past your sophomore year. The majority of the professors are great resources to help you in your career but the school does have those professors who don't reply to emails and who have limited office hours so if you are having trouble, it is hard to get that time you need. The foundation classes that you need to take are generally larger classes and in my opinion I think they are unnecessary unless you have no idea of what you want to do. I hate having to take wood shop when I am an animation major but that is the curriculum. Other than those few things, I love the school. The on site resources are amazing.

Lee

I really love this college. The faculty does everything in their power to make it as safe, welcoming place. The work is hard but rewarding . I looked for colleges for a very long time before I made any decisions and I can honestly say that I am very glad I chose to come to MCAD. The people are friendly and the teachers are open-minded and understanding. It is a very good school.

Daniel
What are the most popular classes offered?

What are the most popular classes offered?

Generally, any classes relating to comic books or illustration seem to be popular. The school is well known for its comic book and/or illustration programs.

Students are very intelligent, and exceptionally mature. It's a very optimistic community.

What's the dating scene like?

Don't date inside the community. Focus on your work.

You will be able to learn so many different processes and styles of art which is really quite rewarding so long as your heart is in it.

Academics may prove to be quite challenging. Students are encouraged to do the best they can and not be perfectionists.

The expenses-- otherwise it's truly a great school to be at if you're an aspiring designer/artist.

Do not attend if you are looking for a lot of guidance with assignments. This is why this is truly an art school. Creativity is in the hands of the students.

What's the Greek scene like?

There is none-- it's an art school..and a private college.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

Getting used to the workload

Someone who is able to handle an academic environment that encourages a lot independent learning. You need to be very driven and know that the field of art or design is precisely what you want to do for a career.

Ekaterina

The very first and most important advice would be spending more time searching for schools. I went to the first school I found suitable for my professional interests and got accepted to. I did not look for colleges more carefully, and that is the reason why I will be transferring to School of Visual Art this following Fall semester. I grew up in Moscow, Russia, a city of over seventeen million people. Staying in small Minneapolis was not the best choice for me, as I am more used to living in huge cities like New York. I have made a lot of amazing friends at MCAD and I am doing well in all of my classes (I have been on the Dean's List of Honor since freshman year). Being friendly and socializing with as many people as possible is key to a pleasant and fun college life. Also studying hard and constantly striving for something bigger is important, because it makes you stronger, and prepares you for the grown up life after college. Those would be all the advices that I would give my high school self. I believe that these advices can really impact one's coollege life.

Minneapolis College of Art and Design administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.