Moorhead, MN
Minnesota State University Moorhead

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Minnesota State University Moorhead

MIchelle

MSUM has a varied student population, there is a person for every kind of person to befriend.

I would tell myself to relax. At the start of the year I was so nervous because I was the only person from my graduating class attending MSUM. I would tell myself that yes, not knowing anybody in a new place is very scary but also to suck it up and go introduce yourself to people because you will meet great people and make amazing friends. I would also tell myself to not skip class for any reason. It is possible to do well while skipping class but you are paying for it so you should attend every class and get your moneys worth in knowledge. It also makes the professors feel better when they have all of their students attend every class, and when the professor is happy everybody is happy.

Minnesota State University in Moorhead was a very comfortable campus. It was small enough that you could walk everywhere but still big enough to bike or use other transportation if you wished. The campus was landscaped very nicely and from the outside the buildings looked very homey. While I was at MSUM I felt safe, comfortable, and at home. It was very important for me to feel that way because I was so far away from home while attending this school.

Matthew

MSUM had all the classes I wanted to take, and the major. Also I was able to live with a close family friend the 1st sem. and now live with my best friend from high school. The classes are small and the teacher know you by first name and your major. They are will to help you even the Dean of Student is interested in the students. The campus is small and friendly.

First of all I would tell myself - GET your assignments done on time! Don't get behind and try to do it all at one time, it is too over whelming. Stay on track and put your full attention in to your work. Next, start applying for scholarships as soon as they are open. If you don't have the money to pay for college, get those scholarship papers in and if you are lucky enough to have a job- SAVE YOUR MONEY, or at least half for college. College is expensive so if you don't want to be paying for your education for the next 30 years- start saving and apply for all the grants, scholarships, and finacial help you can. The last thing- Matt do better than your best in your classes. Grade do matter! Study, study, study! But remember you are a Senior and have a life, so be involved in school activites. Remember this is the best year - your senior year, work hard, and play hard.

I am not sure there is really a worst thing about MSUM. For me I dislike taking classes on-line but it is a nice way to take classes. I guess I really dislike classes that start before 9 am. I would rather take classe from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Kimberly

You need to break out of your shell! The college experience is different for everyone, and it is up to you to make it how you want. Orientation weekend is the best weekend for some people, but it wasn't for me: I wasn't open enough to the new people I met. My advice for that time is to just be friendly to everyone, and let them know you want to hang out with them. After that, I realized how great the dorm life really was. It is important to make good relationships with your RA, and everyone else on your floor: they have become my good friends! Another thing that has made my college life great is to get involved in groups and/or organizations. It is great to gain experience, and more great friends! It will take practice to balance all the new things, like classes, friends, and organizations, but it is worth it!

The best thing about my school is that it is just the right ratio for me: It is in a large community so that i can explore around me, but it is also small enough for it to be a really friendly school. The size is perfect because there are small class sizes which make it is easier to learn, and the campus is always filled with familiar faces. All the people here are so great!

Really anyone could attend this school, but the best way to know if you are right for it is to take a tour. The best things about this school is that it is a nice small campus with smaller class sizes. The professors I have had so far are all very nice and helpful. It is perfect for someone who wants to both be in a bigger town, but not with too much people to get the attention you deserve.

MSUM has such a community feel where you know a lot of people but at the same time its not like a tiny school where everyone knows everyond and you can't get away or make new friends you always can find new people which is what makes it so great but all still while seeing familiar faces. MSUM also has an out of this world freshmen orientation week. As a previous Student Orientation Counselor and experiencing as a freshmen myself it was the best experience of my life and I was able to see it in both lights.

Carpe Diem, seize the day! I woudl tell myself to live life to the fullest it seriously is a beautiful and short jouney that needs to be cherished and college is a huge life enrichment. I have done the most growing in myself over the past 3 years and I am a better individual with the growth I have done. That has all been with the experiences I have gone though, leadership positions, advisers, professors, bosses, co-workers on campus, and a great major and friends within the major. I would tell myself to make mistakes and keep making them that is how we know we are alive and working towards something, without falling we wouln't know how to get back up on our feet. Each and every circumstance in life teaches us something and we take wisdom from it. I woudl tell myself to live with passion deep meaning and love as many things as possible and don't be afraid of hurt, pain and rejection if people don't like you for who you are then that is a clear indication you don't need to surround yourself with them. Find happiness in the simple things.

The comunity/ family feel it has. I toured and applied to a total of sixteen different schools and I knew right away after touring MSUM that it was the college for me. I remember while touring the students and student workers in the CMU went way out of their way to help a perspective furutre little freshmen and answer any questions when they weren't even getting paid to do that. The professors were sensational, and really truly heart felt. MSUM felt like family and my home away from home...its truly where the heart is.

Haven

I would tell myself that I am just as deserving of a college ecucation as anyone else. While we may have some people in our lives who say that we can't do it and family unwilling or unable to help us, there are still options out there. People on campus are more helpful than one might think. They key to success is realizing any college experience is what you make it. Use the resources campus offers and don't be afraid to ask for answers to your questions. After all, that is the campus staff's job. You don't have to figure out every little thing for yourself, but take the initiative to know what questions you need or want to ask. Also, look into the surrounding environment of your campus for related costs such as seasonal expenses, public transportation, utility costs, and housing. Also get to know your school's community so you can not only utilize its services, but so you can also contribute through volunteer opportunities that are offered. You'll find you usually get back way more than you give, so take it as a personal challenge to see how you can improve yourself.

Anyone looking for a supportive study environment. Some people in class discussions can be kind of quiet before you get to know them so it helps to just go ahead and be a self-starter. If you have a question about a course of study or want to discuss things related, professors are usually happy to speak with you during office hours. We also have international students hosting many things so you can meet them and learn of their cultures so it's good if you want a small campus that still lets you broaden your horizons!

Someone who wants to stay in their own little demographic niche and not listen to anyone else's opinions. Also, if you're used to high quality ethnic food be prepared to cook your own or eat out at one of the okay-to-good ethnic restaurants we have here. Food on campus is really Americanized with big portions! That can be a big deal to some people.

Mackenzie

Make new friends. Yes, the ones you had in high school were great and you can still stay in contact with them, but let them go. This college is going to take up four years of your life, and it is crucial to get out and meet new people. Don't be afraid to say "Hi" and scoot in to a chair next to someone. The worst that can happen is they'll give you a weird look and walk away. The key to being happy while away from home is finding people you enjoy being with. You probably won't end up staing friends with some of the first people you meet, but that's okay. You are a social person deep down inside, and let yourself crack out of that defensive shell you have created. Ask for people's numbers, talk to your surrounding classmates, tell stories, make jokes (even if they're not good, you can at least laugh at yourself and relieve the tension). It's going to be one of the hardest things you'll have to do in college but I can promise you, it will pay off in the end. Good luck, Mackenzie

The best part about my school is the trees. It's a beautiful campus, very different from the surrounding neighborhood. There are large trees everywhere so in the spring and summer, you just feel happier walking outside and seeing all of this life blooming around you. There are squirrels running around and up and down on the trees, there are birds singing- it's like a woodland fairytale in the middle of a college campus.

Location location location. The Fargo/Moorhead area is basically a natural wind tunnel. There's LOTS of wind. The winters also get very cold- about 20 degrees colder than my home which is 20 minutes away from the Twin Cities area. And let's not forget the floods that come once a year. The place gets really cold and really wet. Fargo/Moorhead is not a very pretty place either. It's acutally pretty ugly. Everything is gray or beige and it's not very pretty.

My classmates were very well organized and focused on learning to be a good educator of future students.

There are many choices that one has to make on a daily basis; you have to decide what to wear, what to eat, how to spend your money, and when to go to bed. But one of the biggest questions that you have to ask yourself at 18 is to continue on with a higher education or not. College was a great experience for me because I meet very influential people, learned many valuable lessons, and learned how to educate students to be healthy and fit. Through my college career, I worked with many young professionals and professors who had the same love for physical activity and health as I did. I was able to learn from all the influential people around me and take life lessons with me for the rest of my life. With my valuable lessons and great education, I was able to get a job teaching physical education right out of college. I am currently teaching middle school physical and health education. I have a great job where I get to interact with influential adolescents and help instill lifelong values and skills that students can use now and for the rest of their life.

The weather would be the worst thing about the school because it is very cold in the winter. The snow, wind, and wind chill tend to wear on you over time. Being close to a river that floods also made for an interesting spring.

Minnesota State University Moorhead administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.