Moorhead, MN
Minnesota State University Moorhead

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Minnesota State University Moorhead

miche

minnesota state university moorhead is all about student leadership.

minnesota state university moorhead is all about student leadership.

Take elective courses that interest you and are outside of your major. Play or watch varsity and intramural sports. Go out to clubs and bars frequented by students. Eat at the campus and town hot spots. Explore the fraternity and sorority scene to see if it's for you. Read the books, magazines and papers that students talk about most. Stay up late at night discussing controversial topics with friends. Attend special lectures, panels, speeches, plays and/or concerts. Ride a bike and walk around campus. A lot.Listen, play, sing and/or dance to music often. Study in a foreign country for a quarter or semester. Join a student group that is passionate about something. Protest something at least once. Take wild spring break trips. Go to professors' after-hours sessions to ask questions.

the most frustrating thing about campus is the size. its's a really small campus so everyone knows everybody, which makes it difficult to meet new people.

Shelby

If I could go back in time and talk to myself there would be many things I would mention. The first thing I would tell myself is that in a year from now you will be going to school in Moorhead and hate about everything about it, and come December you will start to look for a new school. I would then go into detail about what I dislike about school. I would first let myself know that my first roommate is a sweetheart but she likes to party and I don't get to see her as often as I would have liked. I would next make sure to mention that buying your books online is the way to go becasue it is a lot cheeper than the bookstore. The next bit of advice to be shared is that a majority of the people on campus are very liberal and that I would not agree with many of their beliefs, which would cause more sturggles. And last but not least I would be sure to explain to myself that the first week I am on campus is the time to make friends because after that it just gets harder.

The best thing about my school is that all of the professors are very approachable. If you have a question or concern you can ask them about anything and they will be willing to help. No matter who the student is they are not bias at all towards any of their students, and they want the students to get the education they deserve.

The worst part about my school is that it does not have a very chirstian based enviorment. This is bad becase that means there are a lot of parties that go on, on campus which makes for a bad social seeting for me.

Hmmmm one sentence is hard. How about a few words? Creative, helpful, academic, challenging, personal. I guess that's about all I can come up with.

There are three major colleges/universities in the Fargo-Moorhead area and each is unique in its own way. MSUM is a very "artsy" school, if you will. I really enjoy the creativity of the students here. There are always new things going on and a wide range of student organizations. There are also several research opportunities offered. Also, the education department is one of the best in the state of Minnesota. I love the Spanish department also. All the professors I have had in the Spanish and Education Departments are fantastic. A beautiful campus. Overall, I really love MSUM!!!!

There are a few things that I would say to my highschool self. First of all, take advantage of the dual-credit opportunities available at your local community college. Get some of the general requirements out of the way during your Junior and Senior years of highschool so that you will have more opportunities to get involved on campus when you start college. It saves time, energy, and money. Secondly, make a list of what is most important to you in a university. Some ideas might include: location and distance from home, size of campus and how spread apart it is, academic programs, student organizations, etc. Next, take as many campus tours as you can. Travel to each school you are thinking about applying to. This may not seem very important, but it is! You just can't get what you need in order to choose without seeing it for yourself. Once you start college, get involved!!!! Participate in dorm activities. Check out student organizations and academic clubs. This is where you will meet people who share similar interests and beliefs. This has seriously made the most important contribution to my university experience.

M state has approximately a 22 to 1 ratio in student to teachers, which offer an opportunity for extra help if needed. Also the number of nontraditional students is higher than the other schools in my area, making the anxiety of returning to college after 25 years a bit more manageable. The fact that M State is accredited as a member of the Minnesota State College and University System, gave me confidence in choosing to return to school at the two year level knowing if I chose to pursue a Bachelor Degree my credits would transfer.

Over the past 25 years I thought countless times, ?If only I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior I would have made the right decisions the first time?. I went to college the fall after graduating at the top of my high school class. College was a time in my life full of firsts; it was the first time I did not live with my parents, my first checking account, the first time I was completely responsible for my actions, the first time I skipped class, the first time I stayed out all night drinking (night after night), the first time I had sex (and with someone I didn?t even know), the first time I got an ?F?, the first time on scholastic probation, and the first time I was suspended from anything in my life. As a result I went through loan repayment, marriage, motherhood, and life struggling for all I have. It took me 25years to get back to college. I see now, I could not have understood, as a high school senior, the impoverishment as a result of my choices in college; but I sure do this time.

Who am I to say who SHOULDN'T attend this school? It's a public state accredited two year college that has a lot to offer anyone who wants to learn. Personally, I feel this is no question to be asked on a campus discovery scholarship site. This question could only invoke unwarranted prejudice and I will take no part in it! Sorry, but that's my answer.

Tyler

I would tell myself to take my time and not over load myself with credits the first semester. I would also tell myself that to talk a little load but still be a full time student and talk general classes to help the transition from high school to college. I would also tell myself to follow my heart on the decision of the school I should go to. Do not be scared and know that this will be the time of your life where you test yourself and you turn into the person that you?re going to be for the rest of your life. What ever you do just follow your heart and the best will follow. That was the biggest mistake I made was that I did not listen to my heart and just logically thought it out.

I tell my friend that my school is cheaper but it has a good size population. Another thing I say is that it is not a huge campus and it is a nice easy walk all the way across campus and it does not talk no more then 10 minutes. Also I tell them that the people here are very nice and outgoing and very willing to help others.

Roza

Looking back and remebering my college years, I would advice myself to work less outside of campus (of course if I could have the financies) and focus more in taking classes and getting involved with school. I do not believe I expreience college as an ordinary student would do, because I came from a different country and when I was 22 I had my own Primary Foster Care. I enjoyed the work I did, but it was very challenging to combine respponsibilities at work and the class load. However, I would not change anything because it was a great experince for me.

This school provides a very friendly environment and tution is not very expensive. A student coming from small communities and financialy disadvantaged can do very well attending this school. Since I am a Biology major and spent most of my time in the Department of Biosciences I can confidently say that our faculty stuff is the best thing I had in this school. Most of them are less research oriented and spend more time on students (although there are some research opportunities ). It is a small department therfore faculty and staff know each other personally, care about studnets' success

A person with a good sense of responsibility and community. I personally think, there are should be more diverse personality people to add some "spices" to a general school environment. Also very important for a prospective student to be open and outgoing, because a lot of studnets on campus can be shy and one might want to make a first step.

Kassie

My classmates are very nice and love to help each other out.

My classmates are very nice and love to help each other out.

One thing that I would want High Schooler's to know is to try as much as possible to not have a job your freshman year. I never realized how much more I studied when I did not have a job. Also, never let your social life get in the way of your studies, if you need to study on a Saturday, you are not a nerd!

I think the worst thing about my school is how they are very tough about paying your bills, even when you can't get a loan they will not help you.

Nathan

MSUM is a school with staff the work to build a bridge with the students, so that they can feel comfortable to ask any questions and get help. MSUM also offers various learning communities in which students join and have a community they live with. Each community share similar classes so that students bond more, but also have separate classes so that they can meet people out side of the communites. Each communities also engage in activities together throughout the year for more experiences of kinship. A group of professors lead the communities to help students out more.

College is hard. It isn't like high school anymore, where I can get good grades and a high GPA by listening in class. College requires studying, and dedication to whatever classes you take. One of the most important things that I could tell myself though, is to enjoy high school. The senior year is stressful and complicated when it comes to deciding what you want to do for your life, and what school to go to. Relaxing is the key, go into something you like, and if you switch your major during school, you won't be the first one to do that. If you do something you like, and go somewhere you're comfortable, then college will be a great experience. Learn to balance schoolwork, a job, and your social life so that you aspire in all of those aspects. Lastly, be yourself. College may be a great time to create a new image, but if you get tired of wearing a mask for others, than you become a different person to them. Let people like you for who you are, and who you're comfortable being. Learn to like living in your own skin.

It's hard to think of something that I consider to be the "worst" quality of my school, as most of it is personal opinion. I dislike some of the classes I have to take because of the Dragon Core, which is also considered to be generals. I would prefer to take less generals and take more classes of my major. This resentment towards the general classes, however, can be expereinced at most colleges.

Teaching majors (especially elementary education), the arts, our brand new science lab, and all the opportunities for undergraduate research.

Make as many friends as you can right away, and avoid having a serious relationship at least for your first year. Get involved in as many different things as you can on campus when you first arrive and find out what you like. Be sure to attend group help sessions and study groups, sometimes learning from others around you teaches you more than the classroom ever could. Be friendly with your professors and go to them for help, prove to them you want to learn. Their trust and respect is extremely valuable down the road. Always go to class, even if you don't feel like it, the days you skip could be the most important. Be open to new ideas, but also be critical. Don't believe everything you are told, investigate for yourself. Take advantage of research opportunities. Make time for studying, that's what you're here for.

That enrollment is declining. Because of this many positions have been cut and there is less availability for on-campus work.

Melynda

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, the first thing I'd tell myself is that the friends you have in high school may not still be your friends in college, so you shouldn't worry so much about how crappy some things have gotten. The next thing I'd say to myself is GET YOUR STUFF DONE ON TIME. I never had a problem turning assignments in in high school or even in college, but things like loans and scholarships are what need to get done in a timely fashion. Finally, I would tell myself to just enjoy life and everything that comes with it, because you'll never get this time back and these are definitely the best years of your life.

The best thing about my school is, again, the size. It's so easy to meet people because it's so small.

I generally like to talk about how small the campus is and how small my class sizes are. Because it's so small, the relationship that a student can have with their professor is phenominal.

Minnesota State University Moorhead administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.