Missouri State University-Springfield

« See more reviews of Missouri State University-Springfield

Most people could find somewhere to fit in here. There are fraternities and sororities, a live action society club, religious groups like CRU, lots of different organizations to join to get involved, etc., etc. Everyone that I have noticed feels free to interact between the groups also (some of my sorority friends played in a NERF gun fight with the live action society people, no big deal at all) and I have yet to meet someone that just looked lost. There isn't one kind of socioeconimic status here either, by any means. There are people that wouldn't be here without their loans or scholarships, and there are people that didn't even need to apply for them. Also, the atmosphere is pretty laid back. No one cares what you wear to class, I am pretty sure last semster I wore the same pair of sweat pants 3 days in a row because I needed to do laundry... I doubt anyone even noticed. It's awesome. I roll out of bed and go to class in my PJs sometimes. Overall, I think the campus is very diverse, so there is something for everyone, and very open to accepting all kinds of people.

The students at Missouri State University are not, by any means, a group that can be put into a predictable category. For a smaller university, there is a huge amount of diversity when it comes to the interests, the styles, and the organizations that the students belong to. There are many groups here that call for any kind of member, and a lot of the organizations are extremely accommodating and welcoming to each and every student on Missouri State's campus. The students here are also very politically and globally aware. It's not uncommon to walk outside of a class to hear a group speaking about their preferred political candidate or a group calling students to action for volunteer work. Friendliness and inclusion are two things that the student body demonstrates frequently and to a great extent and I believe that anyone could find a secure and comfortable place among the students here.

Students. That's what college is about, right? It's no different here. I swear I've seen every type of person possible here (Rich, Poor, Black, White, Asian, LGBT, Athletic, Uncoordinated, You name it, you'll probably see it) and if you relate to any of them, they probably have a group somewhere. Take myself, for instance. My first week here I was freaking about because I didn't relate to anyone. Then, I noticed that there was a separate little agricultural sorority that wasn't part of the greeks and was a whole lot cheaper. It was exactly what I needed. These country girls are who I rely on when I need anything (Someone to hang out with, Study Buddy, Anything). I'm in the middle of this huge city and I was able to find a bunch of country girls to relate to. What does that tell you about the diversity of Missouri State? It's pretty impossible to feel out of place unless you want to.

My classmates at Missouri State University are mostly young, between the ages of 18 and 22. Most appear to come from a middle class or lower middle class background. These students are representive of the mid-west demographic, with the majority being caucasion, Christian Americans. The students I have interacted with have been friendly and excited to be here. Most students work outside of school, but they seem to be handling the schedule challenges well.

Huge variety of people here, you can't pin them into any one group cause a lot of them, or at least the open minded ones tend to co-mingle with other groups of people that they would be expected to hang out with and with people that you wouldn't expect them to hang out with

Classmates in the communication program are supportive , diligent, communicative, and exploratory. Fellow students sought to integrate learning with community by participating in service learning courses, internships, and conducting research on community awareness projects.

To keep things short and to the point, my classmates at Missouri State are friendly, helpful, exceptionally intelligent, and incredibly kind, all qualities that are important not only for academic development but for the creation of well-rounded individuals.

Springfield is known for having several churches. A religious studies professor here describes the city as a "buckle on the Bible Belt." The LGBT community is also very active in Springfield and currently, an Occupy Springfield movement is active.

At Missouri State, my classmates are all very dedicated to learning. Unlike high school, it is very hard to find someone who isn't extremely concerned with getting good grades. The level of student involvement on campus is also very high.

Most of my classmates are hard working, and like to have fun. I am in the Honors College so they are doing their best to maintain a excellent GPA and determined to meet their goals.