Missouri State University-Springfield Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Missouri State University-Springfield

Erin

Missouri State is my home. I absolutely love it. The school is great and makes everyone feel at home. The dorms are not bad and all of the staff is proud to be a bear! The college is pretty greek but that doesn't really matter because everyone is friends with everyone. Our tailgates are super lit and we have the best school president out there.

Justin

This is my first year attending Missouri State University, and I am extremely happy I made the choice to attend at this amazing establishment. It is not your overly populated college, nor is it the smallest. It is more in the middle when it comes to the student population. I would consider it to be the melting pot of colleges, because we have many students from all over the country and quite a few from other countries. It's one of the most affordable colleges in Missouri. There are teachers and advisors available when you need them. The housing on and off campus are both fantastic. There is security on campus to make everyone feel safe. I am proud to be a "Bear." I am looking forward to my next year enrolled at Missouri State University.

James

It's not to bad of a place but there are still quite a few things that could be better.

Jordan

It was a great experience

Eden

It's a great university filled with opportunities for those who seek it and academic advancement for those who strive for it. There are always willing and eager professors to help with classwork but also providing sound advice for real life scenarios. The student life is incredible! There's always something to do and different ways to get move involved.

Brianna

In the dorms you will find a variety of things to do. As all dorms have rec rooms and kitchens. The staff and professors are always so nice and understanding in most situations. The campus is really clean and the food is to die for. The campus also has a variety of activities to get the students involved in the university to make sure you have a sense of belonging.

Meredith

I think this is a great school with lots of available resources. They have great sports teams and a fantastic Rec Center and Student Union. They do a good job trying to keep students busy with a budget in mind. This school is very affordable for all of the things it offers.

Christian

Missouri State University is a busy university. There are lots of things to do and the school encourages groups to host events and activities. I'm an art student and the school sponsors an event every first Friday of the month called Friday Art Walk. This event invites not only the students but the whole community around Springfield.

It's a fine place to be, big school with small school feel. Most people are nice. College area is nice but surrounding area is pretty dangerous. Too much Greek life.

Teaira

When I first decided to attend Missouri State, I viewed the school differently than I do now. At first I felt like I belonged here, the distance from home was perfect, and it seemed like the right school for me. Now I feel a little different about it. On-campus living is overrated, the dining hall food is terrible, and people are very clicky. I will say that through all of the things that I don't like, I feel like at any school you will deal with things you don't like. Through the course of my college experience, I have learned to make the best out of it. I have joined various organizations, met lots of friends, and networked in the process.

Shakeara

As an incoming freshmen, we are all introduced to this orientation program called SOAR. It's a 2 day event in which there are current students who share all experiences and facilities that are significant to your major. If this program doesn't prepare someone to attend Missouri State, then they most likely weren't really interested or paying attention. Due to SOAR, I am utmost prepared and very excited to attend Missouri State.

Maureen

Missouri State took me a while to get used to. As a current junior, I did not think it would take this long to feel accepted. I never thought of our Greek life being a big deal, I know plenty of people who do not participate, but unless you are affiliated in FSL tailgating, parties, and organizations in general are uncomfortable. I joined our Students Activity Council my sophomore year hoping to become more immersed into our campus social life, and while it did help, the organization did not help with mingling with other students--people who were in SAC were either friends before joining, or were in FSL. Although I have never affiliated with FSL Greek life, I met all my friends because of it. While it's not "Greek or geek" culture here, its encouraged among students to join; however, my experience has been fulfilling so far without joining. The academics are excellent. They are challenging, but not too much in the sense that I feel as if I'm drowning. Every teacher I have had has been nothing but accommodating and willing to help if you are struggling with a concept. Outside of class, teachers are extremely approachable. My freshman year, I was nervous going to my first office hour meeting, but the professors absolutely love it when you come to visit it them because it shows that you care enough about their class to seek additional help. I have yet to experience unfair grading or testing, and doubt I ever will because I do not know anyone in my field who has. Missouri State University does an excellent job preparing students for further academics and for future careers.

Luke

I love the small school atmosphere of Missouri State University. There are plethora of degree options and activities that you can be apart of. MSU professors are very knowledgeable in there field and care about student success. Springfield has everything a big city would offer at a smaller level. GO BEARS!

Madeline

Missouri State University is a school where you can achieve greatness. If you are there to learn there are wonderful professors, classes and academically focused organizations. If you are there to network there is a large population of Greek Life and all kinds of organizations/clubs. The Springfield area is nice, great food, great people and lots of fun. Go Bears!

Josh

Missouri State university has its pros and cons like any other college. For example, the math department is decent; however, the physics department is horrible. If you want to be a physics major I recommend not going to MSU, the teachers are no help and terrible at explaining the content. One great thing about MSU is that it has a wide variety of degrees to choose from.

The academics are average; however, Missouri State University succeeds when it comes to the moral. The students are beyond smart, and dedicated. We love Springfield and put a big pressure on work hard, play hard. Teachers are very approachable and office hours really do help a student out. I would recommend MSU to anyone who likes a balance of academics and a social life.

I transferred from Drury and although I enjoyed it quite a bit, MSU will always be my favorite. The professors genuinely care about your education and want to see you succeed in their class. They will try to help you in any way that they can. Campus is relatively clean (unlike other campus') and even though it's kind of large it is very pretty and well kept. Most of the students are fairly friendly.

Ericka

Missouri State as a whole is awesome! They definitely have their quirks within a few areas. Some might be some of their offices for financials, a select few professors, and the safeness on campus. Missouri State really wants the students to be involved and to really do something good. Everyone I know is in at least one or more clubs with the university. Missouri State holds so many opportunities for students and makes it feasible! I'm really happy I chose Missouri State because I feel so involved and that I'm actually learning something in each class.

Faith

Missouri State is an overall great University. There's plenty of people around and the majority of those people are friendly and will start a conversation with you. I've been able to make tons of new friends and the transition from high school to college has been pretty easy.

JAMES

I was pretty amazed when i became a student. I was a little intimidated before become an actual student. Now I feel right at home. Everyone here is very welcoming and makes everything easy. I love the class sizes and the diversity of the students and facility. I love that you get more for your money.

Tristan

MO State or NO state! Missouri State University is the best school in the whole country! The campus life is great, the opportunities are great, and the academics are the absolute best! I've made more contacts in my first 2 years at Missouri State than in my previous 18 years of life before college! Missouri State is the best school, and there is no place I'd rather be!

Alexandria

It’s a very lovely campus and i’ve met a lot of great teachers and staff members who are always eager to help. I thought I would dread living in a dorm, but here the dorms are very livable and comfy. There are a ton of clubs and Greek life to get involved in. I couldn’t imagine continuing my education anywhere else.

Janae

Missouri state has completely become my home. The professors and classes are intellectually stimulating and accessible both within the classroom and outside, if desired. Furthermore, extra attention from professors as well as assistance from students are available for the student who exerts effort.

Keturah

Missouri State University is a good school academically, however, it can use some improvement as far as making the students feel like they belong. Also, more on campus food options would be ideal. The dinning hall need more variety because they serve the same thing almost daily. Overall, The food on campus gets very tiring to eat.

Jesse

Overall I think Missouri State Is one of the best hidden Schools across the Midwest. It is ever growing for a reason, with the past two years have been the two biggest enrollments within the history of the campus, beating out Mizzou and other colleges across Missouri.

Erin

I love Missouri State. We're a pretty large university, but we have a small school feel. I am constantly running into people that I know but I'm not always bombarded with people I don't want to see. Our administration wants students to have a voice and to have an amazing experience at MSU. We're constantly striving to improve and become a better university than we are today and to help our students succeed.

Baylee

Attending Missouri State has been an incredible experience so far. This being my first university, it was very overwhelming but there are so many resources and people to help you with every little issue you may have. The transition went so smoothly for me and I have loved learning and taking advantage of all the events Missouri state offers! Cant wait for another semester!

Legacy

Missouri State University is a great place to be! Being here for my first semester, it was not as daunting as everyone makes college sound. I was able to meet new people the very first week. The university provided many events to accommodate each student and showed them what the university has to offer. The teachers also integrate you into college life, so its not as big of a worry to figuring out how to become a college scholar.

Brittni

I like going to school at Missouri sate. Everybody is very caring and sharing. If you have a question there's always a person who has an answer, whether its who you're talking to or you go ask another person. I travel everyday approximately 30 mins to go there. I have 2 boys a husband and 2 grandparents who rely on me from day to day basis.

Mary

Missouri State is the only school I know of that has students that consider it their home from the moment they step foot on campus. It is so accepting of all people and there is nothing but love from everyone who attends. The education is top notch and the teachers and advisors will stop at nothing to ensure the best for their students.

Phoebe

My hometown has about two million people in it, and I frequent cities like Los Angeles over summers. In this state, colleges are in smaller towns. And smaller towns, typically, have few people and even fewer things to do. Previously I had gone to a university in a town with about 30,000 people in it, and it was an awful time! Small town, small-minded people, small amount of enjoyable moments. But then I transferred to my current school, and the atmosphere astonished me! The town is still small to my standards, but there's life in it. The people are welcoming, and although from around this area, they are very eager to learn about different people.

Madison

I enjoy attending Missouri State University. It is not too big or too small and there is always something to do. This university wants students to be more involved in the community and offers many volunteer opportunities and organizations for students to join. I really encourage others to look into Missouri State University because they help people get involved and there is always help around the corner when you need it.

Alexandria

First Year Bear ~ Missouri State University has been spectacular! I am amazed at the variety of opportunities available there at campus and in the city of Springfield, MO. The staff, faculty and students at MSU have been outstanding. They are continually warm, encouraging, outgoing, helpful, supportive, and there is a surprisingly warm Southern welcome there at campus and in through the city. The staff, faculty and students have always kindly provided me with helpful answers, or direction where to find the answers. Its been nothing but a positive experience with every encounter, my family has been engaging with Missouri State University since July 2016. They sold me on coming to MSU to pursue my higher education and degree program. I cannot wait to begin this new chapter in my life and the new experiences awaiting me. Thank you for the opportunity to apply to this outstanding scholarship.

Brandan

I am into my senior year at Missouri State University and each year i fall more and more in love. MSU is home! they are constantly changing and growing in the best ways, from improvements to the campus to improvements in the safety of students and etc. There is nothing MSU lacks or fails at. There is an outstanding amount of opportunities MSU provides and a lot of wonderful people (faculty and students) to fall in love with because everyone is generally caring and friendly all the time. If you were to walk the campus you would immediately feel a sense of acceptance because MSU is home to anyone.

Tya

Missouri State University is a pretty nice school to be in. I think that Missouri State could use some help in some areas, but overall, the school is pretty decent. One major thing that I think could change is the food quality on campus. Also, I think that there needs to be an increase in diversity here.

Katherine

Honestly, it was a little hard for me adjust from high school life to college life, but I have grown to love Missouri State University and consider this my second home. Since being here, I have made many life long friendships. I did this by utilizing the many opportunities that there are to get involved; there is always some event going on around campus. There's always a club or group to join, and there it seems like there is always a sporting event to go to. I have learned to be more involved, to be more outgoing socially, to volunteer more, and to study harder in my academics. Overall, I love this school and I couldn't imaging going anywhere else.

Mirissa

When I first visited Missouri State I immediately knew I wanted to come here. The campus is large enough but everything is still somewhat close. The university is in the process of updating classrooms and building more dorms to accommodate all the new students we are getting. The people are kind and always hold the door open for you. The town is a perfect college town with bars and many affordable restaurants.

Colton

I think that the University is a relatively safe space. It is because of the safety created by Missouri State Security that I can allow to do whatever I may do safely. I like the University because it is easy to meet people as well as it is easy to get along with my fellow students. All in all, I don't have anything negative to say about my experiences here at Missouri State University.

Katelyn

Missouri State Universities offers a large variety of courses to take, each with instructors that are passionate about teaching. The courses offered, although different, have one thing in common, they keep students attentive. The faculty are easy to talk to and very helpful. One of the things that I love most about Missouri State University is the student community. The majority of the students have a lot of pride in their school and love to get involved.

Meri

I love Missouri State University! I am entering my sophomore year of college and have been selected to be a resident assistant next year in the dorms. I have excelled this year in college and I believe it is due to the fact that I live on campus, so I am close to my classes plus I study dilligently. I joined a sorority to meet new friends.

I love this place. Everything is great. I live on campus, and it's wonderful. The academics are top-notch, and the professors make it much easier when it could be extremely difficult. The campus itself is awesome, and the events and organizations on campus allow you to easily be involved and feel included. I recommend MSU 100% on all levels.

Quincy

Missouri State University is a great home away from home. There are plenty of courses to take, activities in which to participate, and organizations to join. Missouri State is highly involved in sports, Greek life, volunteer opportunities, academic clubs, and many other activities. They are known for encouraging students to be involved in campus events and in their communities in order to be educated, tolerant, and ambitious citizens and leaders. Missouri State promotes three pillars toward their public affairs mission, emphasizing community engagement, ethical leadership, and cultural competence among a diverse population of students. I appreciate that MSU prioritizes welcoming new students and guiding all individuals toward their interests and careers.

Dustin

It is a very good school to go to academically. I love the school because they made my transfer process so easy and have made me realize that my goals in life are possible. The facilities are absolutely astounding and accessible most of the time. The school makes sure you have all the tools you need to succeed. This is the reason the business program is on of the best in the country. Bear Up!

Louise

I absolutely love being on campus. There are a ton of clubs and activities to get involved in, it's a very affordable university, and the professors are always friendly. There's always something going on at all times on campus, and I couldn't imagine going to school anywhere else.

Caitlin

Missouri State University-Springfield has made my transition into college life very smooth. I expected to feel a lot more homesick but I haven't had a chance too with all of the activity on campus. There's almost always something fun going on and if there's not, dorms, the library, and the PSU are nice places to hang out.

Breana

Missouri State University is an amazing school to attend. It is not too big, to the point you feel like it is a burden to get around. It is also not too small to the point you feel like you see the same people every day. It is the perfect size. Class sizes don't get too big, which is nice because it easy to contact professors and get the help you need. Missouri State is a great place to go if you want a good education and a place that feels like home. Go Bears!

Kaylyn

Attending Missouri State was the best decision I could have ever made. Getting involved on campus is so easy because there is always something going on and plenty of opportunities. The people, professors, and even president are all so kind and truly want everyone to succeed. I am in love with this school. I can honestly say it is my home and I will forever be proud to be a bear.

Jason

A very affordable option for continuing your education. Regionally accredited and one of the largest universities in the area. A large variety of options for degrees as well as professional options. Plenty of options for students to get involved in the community and involved in sports.

Morgan

Missouri State is a progressive University stuck in the middle of a non-progressive town. This is the second university I attended and it is by far the better one. It has plenty of extra-curricular activities available to students and encourages/ requires community service hours. The school engages with it's students in various different ways-- social media, in person, flyers, chalk written on side walks, etc. It's easy to be involved and find a group you can connect with.

Jill

It's a nice mid-size college. The campus keeps improving (new buildings/services) and the area is safe and clean. Teachers are easily accessible, there's a good variety of classes to choose from and it's not too expensive. The only downside, Springfield is a smaller town, so there isn't as much to do off campus. Otherwise I would highly recommend it to any student.