Rochester, NY
Monroe Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Monroe Community College

Cyialece

They are all different and i have so many that it is quite hard to narrow it down. For the most part their cool.

I would give myself the advice to test my self discipline. Enforce time management and focus. Be a kid, have fun, and don't talk to strangers. That is as simply as it would need to be knowing what i know as a college students. Taking school more seriously, and taking advantage of the help the the school provides.

Parking and the tickets the parking officers give when you have a parking pass or not.

Sierra

If I could go back in time and be a high school senior I would do everything differently. I would have started applying for scholarships and re-taken the SATs. Moreover, I would have taken more classes, some being honors classes. I would have given myself a better opportunity of getting into the colleges that I applied to as a freshman rather than having to go to a community college. The transition from high school to college is drastic. I have always been the mature type who forced myself to excell in all of my endeavors so it was not hard for me to put effort into my college classes right off the bat. For some people the transition is too much because they have a lot of freedom. These people end up slacking off in school and ultimately do no care about their college eduacation. If I could go back in time the one bit of advice that I would give myself would be to work harder in my senior year so I could have had the opportunity to transfer to a better university as a freshman.

Someone who is unsure about what they want to major in.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that it is high school part two. I want to go to a college where I can meet new people instead of seeing all of the same faces from high school.

Janmarie

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself not to worry about where everyone else is going to school. I wasted so much time applying to schools that I really didn't want to go to, just to impress everyone at school with where I got accepted. I ended up not going away to college anyway, but spending my first two years of college at community college, which is the best decision I could have made. I learned so much about myself and my learning styles and my motivations that I would not have learned at a big college, I would have been to caught up in being overwhelmed about all the changes in my life. The best advice I could give myself would be to listen to what I want and what I need and not worry about everyone else. No one else at school knew what I was feeling or what I needed except myself. Now I know exactly what kind of school I want to transfer to--not a huge one where I would get lost, I want a small one where I can have an effect.

I love that all of my classes at the Damon City Campus never have more than thirty people. I have learned that I prefer smaller classes where I actually get to know the professor rather than big classes that hold over 100 students. I brag to all my friends that I get to talk to my professors everyday and that they actually recognize me when I pass in the hallway. The professors really care about your success and are willing to work hard with you to make sure you achieve your goals.

The most frustrating thing about Monroe Community College is the location of my campus. I attend classes at the Damon City Campus of Monroe Community College, and it is located in the middle of Rochester. I had no choice in where I took me classes, because the Education Department is located in that campus. I have learned a lot about being in a city as I am a suburbs girl, but it is a little scary hearing on the news every night about the muggings and murders that have taken place close to where you go to school everyday.

Shannon

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that college life is for mature adults. In high school, I had my teachers or parents help me with everything, but in college I have to fend for myself. Professors are there to help but you have to take the time out to go to their office or whenever they are available. The effort needs to come from you, not others telling you what to do and patting you back. Also, I would tell myself that studying needs to be done! If I put half as much effort in high school as I do in college, I would of probably done a lot better.

The worst thing about MCC is that the people attending don't go for the right reasons. Meaning, the people that recieve a good amount of money through financial aid, withdraw from their classes and keep the financial aid money. That isn't fair for the people that want to learn and really don't have the money to pay.

Monroe Community College is a stepping stool for kids just getting out of high school and don't know which path to persue. MCC has many opportunities to improve oneself with many learning centers pertaining to specific classes. A person that wants to advance their education but don't think they can succeed in a four year college, MCC is a good start. Or for a person that wants to start off their career quickly but succesfully, MCC has many programs.

Adam

I would go back and tell myself to try harder in school and to get a job sooner so i could afford college better. I would tell myself to take school more seriously and make my self push myself harder for a reach college.

Someone who want s a great education and cant afford going to a more expensive college. It is a great school for anyone who wants to go there.

Someone who has the money to get into another school. this is for people who want to save money or cant afford higher end schools right now.

Misty

Monroe Community College is unique in allowing the student to take the reigns of his/her future. MCC provides all financial aide and program information allowing future and exhisting students the ability to plan and schedule their own semesters. The teachers at MCC are available, strong and supportive. I find the curriculum is accurate and the college in general is incredibly empowering.

Wow.....it's your senior year and you are nothing but excited to be done with school. All the home work, studying, test taking. It feels like there is a light at the end of the tunnel and now all there is to focus on is the summer and a cool summer job to have gas money. Before all of these ideas take full control of your mind, try to think more long term. I know it's difficult, but keep in mind that the summer will eventually end. Your friends will eventually move on with their lives. Some will try to stay in the perpetual summer. Do you want to be one of those people? Do you want to wake up one day wondering what happened to my life? What happened to my future? Do I still have time, the money, the drive to grab the dreams that I once had and make a go of it? Now is the time to evaluate where you want to be and how you want to get there. Let school be the road you take. The summer will still be there to great you when it is over.

I feel that the type of person that should not attend MCC is someone who is not able to create their own rules. MCC is empowering and allows students to be their own boss. A student has to be able to create their own schedule, their own boundries and be able to follow through. With out the ability of the later a student will not be successful.

Meaghan

In my senior year of high school I was severely depressed, abusing drugs and alcohol and myself. My transition to college was a geographically short one, and I did not stimulate any change in me. My first stab at college was at a small Christian college with incredibly rigorous courses. I didn't care about any of my classes because my depression had full control of me, though in high school I was a straight A student. If I could go back in time and tell my senior self the wisdom I have learned it would have been "do not go to school now. get help. you need to get help, get strong and confident and THEN you can go to school." After leaving my first school I have sought intense therapy to help me through the incredible amount of STUFF that I had to deal with before I could be a confident and motivated to not only handle but excell in college. Now, as a healthy(er) adult, I am a straight A student once again (save for a B+ in a math class). My education has multiplied my self confidence and happiness.

MCC has a huge problem with parking. I have to allow up to 30 minutes extra before class just to find a spot. I believe that because of the economy the community college track seems to be very popular.

MCC is appropriate for ALL manners of students, whether the interest is in a technical career or preparation for transfer to a 4 year school.

greggory

One sentence, I can do it in one word, diversity. The students here range from sixteen years old to seventy. Full-time, part-time or just here to audit a class, they're all here. You can walk sown the halls and see people of every skin color and hear several different languages spoken. The location of the college makes it possible for students to come from the inner city, suburbs and even the rual areas that surround us. The addition of on-campus housing makes it possible for exchange students to come here.

Everything you do this year counts. Simple things like volunteering, working at your part-time job and visiting your grandmother in the nursing home count towards shaping you into an adult headed towards your first year of college. Whether you are going to a local community college or a four year university try to remember that you are not alone. You have friends, family, teachers and counselors around that will be there to help guide and encourage you, if you ask. (Asking is the key) Don't pressure yourself or let others do it to you, if you cannot decide what you want to do for the rest of your life. Go to college, take a class that has nothing to do with the major you have picked. Have fun, broaden your horizion and try to talk to people in class that you would have never spoken to in high school. Who knows you may meet your new best friend. So, right now in your senior year, step outside your comfort zone, volunteer, visit, talk to a new friend and remember, everything you do counts.

I never thought I could afford college because it is just my mom and I, but this college is one of the best deals around. It is affordable, classes are offered both day and evening and I can work classes around my job. The classes are just the right size and I haven't met a professor yet, that I cannot approach. I can hang out at the "Java Cafe" and do homework or meet the crew in the library. It is a cool place to be.

Patricia

Monroe Community College is unique in that every classroom has very few students. The largest lecture hall I've seen thus far is 30 students. The fact that the classrooms are small allows every student to have a close relationship with the professor, thus enabling them a step closer to success. The college is not only affordable, but has the most clubs and liberal arts programs I've ever seen in a community college. One of the few but many reasons why Monroe Community College ranked in the top 10th percentile of the nation's leading community colleges.

I would tell myself as a high school senior: "Trisha, college will not be easy as high school. The number one skill that is crucial in surviving college is writing. If you can, take as many writing classes in high school as you can. If you have a problem with grammer, polish it now so that your papers are gold by the time you have a paper conference with your English professor. More importantly, I know you have problems with argumentative papers. Your best bet in scoring high in the SAT as well as succeeding in college is knowing how to write argumentative papers. The only way you can succeed in writing argumentative papers is to succeed in History, Science, and English. Though each subject is different in its own way, each require some form of argument to support your stances. Lastly, do not be afraid to ask questions. Though it is intimidating to ask questions, especially in high school, asking questions will only lead you one step closer to understanding the situation at hand, and even a step closer to getting a good grade. Furthermore, asking questions gives the teacher an idea things you dont understand."

The best thing about my school is the tuition cost. With the amazing professors and small classrooms that the college has to offer, the tuition cost is jaw-dropping. While I save boatloads of money for attending two years at Monroe Community College, many of the my friends who went to a different college are paying two and some, even three times as much when they pay back their loans.

Katie

College is nothing to fear, so don't over stress the next couple of months. The rest of high school is going to be a breeze, then once you're in and the hype calms down, college will become as natural as high school was. Also, push mom to get the taxes done on time so there won't be any trouble with FAFSA.

That it was no scarier than most high school classes. In fact, it seems more like a continuation of high school rather than a college.

The school is viewed as "Thirteenth Grade" by most of its students, and as treated as such.

Monroe Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.