Rochester, NY
Monroe Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Monroe Community College

Shannon

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that college life is for mature adults. In high school, I had my teachers or parents help me with everything, but in college I have to fend for myself. Professors are there to help but you have to take the time out to go to their office or whenever they are available. The effort needs to come from you, not others telling you what to do and patting you back. Also, I would tell myself that studying needs to be done! If I put half as much effort in high school as I do in college, I would of probably done a lot better.

The worst thing about MCC is that the people attending don't go for the right reasons. Meaning, the people that recieve a good amount of money through financial aid, withdraw from their classes and keep the financial aid money. That isn't fair for the people that want to learn and really don't have the money to pay.

Monroe Community College is a stepping stool for kids just getting out of high school and don't know which path to persue. MCC has many opportunities to improve oneself with many learning centers pertaining to specific classes. A person that wants to advance their education but don't think they can succeed in a four year college, MCC is a good start. Or for a person that wants to start off their career quickly but succesfully, MCC has many programs.

Adam

I would go back and tell myself to try harder in school and to get a job sooner so i could afford college better. I would tell myself to take school more seriously and make my self push myself harder for a reach college.

Someone who want s a great education and cant afford going to a more expensive college. It is a great school for anyone who wants to go there.

Someone who has the money to get into another school. this is for people who want to save money or cant afford higher end schools right now.

Misty

Monroe Community College is unique in allowing the student to take the reigns of his/her future. MCC provides all financial aide and program information allowing future and exhisting students the ability to plan and schedule their own semesters. The teachers at MCC are available, strong and supportive. I find the curriculum is accurate and the college in general is incredibly empowering.

Wow.....it's your senior year and you are nothing but excited to be done with school. All the home work, studying, test taking. It feels like there is a light at the end of the tunnel and now all there is to focus on is the summer and a cool summer job to have gas money. Before all of these ideas take full control of your mind, try to think more long term. I know it's difficult, but keep in mind that the summer will eventually end. Your friends will eventually move on with their lives. Some will try to stay in the perpetual summer. Do you want to be one of those people? Do you want to wake up one day wondering what happened to my life? What happened to my future? Do I still have time, the money, the drive to grab the dreams that I once had and make a go of it? Now is the time to evaluate where you want to be and how you want to get there. Let school be the road you take. The summer will still be there to great you when it is over.

I feel that the type of person that should not attend MCC is someone who is not able to create their own rules. MCC is empowering and allows students to be their own boss. A student has to be able to create their own schedule, their own boundries and be able to follow through. With out the ability of the later a student will not be successful.

Meaghan

In my senior year of high school I was severely depressed, abusing drugs and alcohol and myself. My transition to college was a geographically short one, and I did not stimulate any change in me. My first stab at college was at a small Christian college with incredibly rigorous courses. I didn't care about any of my classes because my depression had full control of me, though in high school I was a straight A student. If I could go back in time and tell my senior self the wisdom I have learned it would have been "do not go to school now. get help. you need to get help, get strong and confident and THEN you can go to school." After leaving my first school I have sought intense therapy to help me through the incredible amount of STUFF that I had to deal with before I could be a confident and motivated to not only handle but excell in college. Now, as a healthy(er) adult, I am a straight A student once again (save for a B+ in a math class). My education has multiplied my self confidence and happiness.

MCC has a huge problem with parking. I have to allow up to 30 minutes extra before class just to find a spot. I believe that because of the economy the community college track seems to be very popular.

MCC is appropriate for ALL manners of students, whether the interest is in a technical career or preparation for transfer to a 4 year school.

greggory

One sentence, I can do it in one word, diversity. The students here range from sixteen years old to seventy. Full-time, part-time or just here to audit a class, they're all here. You can walk sown the halls and see people of every skin color and hear several different languages spoken. The location of the college makes it possible for students to come from the inner city, suburbs and even the rual areas that surround us. The addition of on-campus housing makes it possible for exchange students to come here.

Everything you do this year counts. Simple things like volunteering, working at your part-time job and visiting your grandmother in the nursing home count towards shaping you into an adult headed towards your first year of college. Whether you are going to a local community college or a four year university try to remember that you are not alone. You have friends, family, teachers and counselors around that will be there to help guide and encourage you, if you ask. (Asking is the key) Don't pressure yourself or let others do it to you, if you cannot decide what you want to do for the rest of your life. Go to college, take a class that has nothing to do with the major you have picked. Have fun, broaden your horizion and try to talk to people in class that you would have never spoken to in high school. Who knows you may meet your new best friend. So, right now in your senior year, step outside your comfort zone, volunteer, visit, talk to a new friend and remember, everything you do counts.

I never thought I could afford college because it is just my mom and I, but this college is one of the best deals around. It is affordable, classes are offered both day and evening and I can work classes around my job. The classes are just the right size and I haven't met a professor yet, that I cannot approach. I can hang out at the "Java Cafe" and do homework or meet the crew in the library. It is a cool place to be.

Patricia

Monroe Community College is unique in that every classroom has very few students. The largest lecture hall I've seen thus far is 30 students. The fact that the classrooms are small allows every student to have a close relationship with the professor, thus enabling them a step closer to success. The college is not only affordable, but has the most clubs and liberal arts programs I've ever seen in a community college. One of the few but many reasons why Monroe Community College ranked in the top 10th percentile of the nation's leading community colleges.

I would tell myself as a high school senior: "Trisha, college will not be easy as high school. The number one skill that is crucial in surviving college is writing. If you can, take as many writing classes in high school as you can. If you have a problem with grammer, polish it now so that your papers are gold by the time you have a paper conference with your English professor. More importantly, I know you have problems with argumentative papers. Your best bet in scoring high in the SAT as well as succeeding in college is knowing how to write argumentative papers. The only way you can succeed in writing argumentative papers is to succeed in History, Science, and English. Though each subject is different in its own way, each require some form of argument to support your stances. Lastly, do not be afraid to ask questions. Though it is intimidating to ask questions, especially in high school, asking questions will only lead you one step closer to understanding the situation at hand, and even a step closer to getting a good grade. Furthermore, asking questions gives the teacher an idea things you dont understand."

The best thing about my school is the tuition cost. With the amazing professors and small classrooms that the college has to offer, the tuition cost is jaw-dropping. While I save boatloads of money for attending two years at Monroe Community College, many of the my friends who went to a different college are paying two and some, even three times as much when they pay back their loans.

Katie

College is nothing to fear, so don't over stress the next couple of months. The rest of high school is going to be a breeze, then once you're in and the hype calms down, college will become as natural as high school was. Also, push mom to get the taxes done on time so there won't be any trouble with FAFSA.

That it was no scarier than most high school classes. In fact, it seems more like a continuation of high school rather than a college.

The school is viewed as "Thirteenth Grade" by most of its students, and as treated as such.

Arilyssa

It's a good environment and I've learned many things here.

It's a good environment and I've learned many things here.

They're always willing to learn, just like I am.

If I was to go back and talk to myself as a highschool senior I would tell myself not to listen to what anyone had told me about what college was really like. I would tell myself that it's not as bad as people say it is, and it's a really great experience. I would also tell myself that nobody is ever prepared to attend college, and no student is ever ready for the transition from highschool to college. The best way to prepare yourself for college is to start being independent in highschool and rely less on your teachers for the help that they give. It's very important to start relyng on yourself and what you're capable in doing.

Mariesa

Small class sizes, amazing professors, and lots of campus activities and clubs.

Small class sizes, amazing professors, and lots of campus activities and clubs.

A community college is the way to go if you're trying to save money and get a good education. It also makes transfering a lot easier. Its also a chance to take courses in various subjects to see what you want to focus on in the future.

For a Community College, it is a very good school. We have mulitple professors that have their doctorate degree. The dorms are extremely nice for any college in general, the suites are like apartments.

I would probably have done better in my classes and have taken harder classes. I would also have tried to gain better study habits. College is based on a few big grades and I didn't do as good as I could have because I don't know how to study. Also I learned to be more accepting of many types of people in college. You have to learn how to live with people and look past your differences.

The dorms, because we have two bathrooms for four girls. Also I am paying less for my education then people that are going to four year schools. I am just getting my basic degree because I don't know what I want to do and at the same time saving money.

Monroe Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.