Monroe Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Monroe Community College

Catrice

Love it great first year experience, the dorms are nice

Devin

Monroe Community College is a college in Rochester,NY that has a small campus in a way but who's students are so diverse ! The diversity is what i noticed first. Now let me first say i went all the way to Rochester from the BRONX (6 hour drive) So when i had seen it was one of the most top rated Community Colleges in the country i just knew i had to go here. I always wanted to begin college with Community. The dorming experience is great depending on who you are connected with. It's what truly makes the college experience special but i will say if you have a Roommate you don't like or are having issues with there are ways to act upon this appropriately. RA's can be a bit of party pooper at times if you are making yourself a target but hey i get it it's there job. Facilities are amazing ! I haven't even been to all of them but the Library is really a helpful friend if you need some alone time or really need to study. Again Overall i think MCC is a wonderful college but depending on the College student's mindset and or goals, it can make or break the experience.

lynette

I love the professors and support I receive from the science departments. I think the NSEC is a great tool to use as a student because the tutors know their subjects well and are great to teaching you in the best way that you learn. The science department professors are by far the most supportive and helpful if you struggle, their office hours are convenient and flexible.

Kristen

This is a great place to find your career path; it's very affordable and hassle free. Everyone, from professors to the financial aid office, is there to make sure you find the best options for you. The small class sizes allow for more hands on learning and deeper discussions.

Wanya

It is a solid institution. Friendly individuals who aren't afraid to accept others into their groups. The professors vary but most get the job done. The administration is quite active in communicating with the students. Student life can improve a bit. Overall, with scenery and the vibes of both campus, as well as everything I stated above, MCC gets an A-

Cortlynne

My overall opinion about MCC is that it's actually a great place to start based off of my experience with my professors. People say that college is different from high school because the teachers don't care but I haven't had that with my professors at all. Every professor that I've had I've made a connection with. They know my name, help me outside of the classroom, and are just great people in general. I still talk to the professors that I don't have classes with anymore. That's the best thing I would say that comes out of going here. I will say that the school environment is a bit dull but then that's where your personal challenge comes in. That's where you have to make it what you want. There are clubs but they're quite silent unless you go out and find them to try and participate. Events do happen but I think that they aren't advertised correctly to have people really involved. The food is ok but the selection doesn't change, it's literally the same thing everyday which is just boring and expensive.

Kiera

Monroe Community College can only be described as high school 2.0. It is a college good for people who want to experience a diverse group of students, only want an associates degree, or simply just cannot afford a 4-year school, however, for my specific academic needs, it was sub-par. I cannot say that there haven’t been any opportunities to grow and partake in activities related and not related to my major, however, the overall scene is incredibly disruptive to my academic experience. It is difficult to make long-term friends due to everyone constantly coming in, transferring, and graduating, but also because many people here are just utterly disrespectful. There are constantly people who yell in the libraries, disrespect the teachers, and many who almost seem to make it a priority to catch up with their friends in the middle of a high-traffic hallway when you have to get to class. There are undoubtedly some people here that take their education seriously and are working hard towards bettering themselves, however, the majority of students here are most definitely enrolled simply because they feel they have to which further emphasizes the high school-esque feel the school gives off. Though, this is not the fault of the college, but the kind of students it attracts. Though perhaps the worst part of MCC that is solely the campus’s fault is the on-campus housing. It constantly reeks of marijuana and in one semester's time, there have been multiple run-ins with campus security/ the police for domestic violence, drug use, and general disruption. I personally do not have an issue with recreational drug use as long as they are not hurting anyone, but when the fire alarms go off nearly every week due to someone smoking marijuana in their dorm room, it becomes bothersome. I will not even delve into the fact that the suites are not thoroughly cleaned between summer/winter breaks and you are left with past residue and junk from the previous residents. It is certainly not worth the nearly $8,000 you pay for room and board per academic term. I gave Monroe Community College three stars-- two because the food is good (though there are not many vegetarian/vegan options) and the classes are relatively taught well, and one because of the diversity the campus offers. The equal ratio of all races and ethnicities made it quite the enriching experience to get to learn about cultures other than mine. This school is good for someone who enjoys diversity and cheap education but ends at that. But even so, I will miss it when I transfer. So take what you will from this review.

Eric

Monroe Community College is a great community college for any student fresh out of high school. Not only are the costs low, but classes are interesting and have the perfect size to interact with classmates and the professor! The newly opened Damon Campus has amazing amenities in a great location. But sadly, a lot of classes are still at the outdated Brighton Campus. If you have the chance, I highly recommend taking your classes at the Damon Campus!

Great community college. Professors and resources are amazing. Definitely would recommend people to attend this college. Your professors care about your success. There are a lot of activities on campus. The food is great, and the housing is nice. Affordable college that allows you to follow your dreams.

MCC is a great institution in the Rochester, NY area. I live off-campus and cannot speak towards the dorms/ dorm life. The campus food and cafeteria's offer LIMITED selections. There are like 2 tiny coffee shops on campus and everyone hangs out in the cafeteria in between classes. Food is expensive and unoriginal. Class size depends, ranging from 13- 100 per class. Average class size is about 20 to 1. They offer a 10 minute gap in-between classes so you frequently see people almost running down the halls to get from building to building. Due to this, professors don't have time before or after class to talk or for you to arrive early to class and chat. Clubs are limited and difficult to navigate. Music and arts are a big part of the school and you regularly see student artwork in the halls and in the small gallery. Class material is pretty standard, but advisors and registration offices have limited resources and information, you will get out what you put in. Basically, if you go to office hours, make contacts in class, do the work, show up and you'll pass the class.

Sydney

Monroe Community College is a great school to start your educational path at. The dorms are amazing, the campuses are relatively easy to navigate, and the professors and students are all very helpful. I like how we are all independent and here to learn.

Stephany

My experience at Monroe Community College was one of the best in my life. Not only did I meet such kind, compassionate people whom I will call friends for the rest of my life, but I also partook in the opportunity to play volleyball at MCC. My collegiate opportunity helped me to further develop my skills while also disciplining me in time management. Lastly, I was able to experience different aspects of life while experimenting with my future for a cheap cost.

Ivan

Monroe Community College is a knowledgeable and unique school. MCC is a safe haven for many people who wants to become a solution to their communities. Attending MCC college professors aspects you to have integrity to build a legacy for your self. The only failure in MCC is the failure not to participate.

Jasiah

The environment feels like a big high school. There are professors who show no interest in their students and who do not care about students and show that they do not care about teaching. The library is nice and there was a new addition to it and to the outside hallway which is nice. The cafe could have better options and not be so expensive. Wish there was more renovations done to the whole school not in weird sections. However, with all that being said it is a smart choice to go to MCC if you are not sure or if you are trying to save money.