Mount Holyoke College

« See more reviews of Mount Holyoke College

Most of the time professors your name because classes are small, and even in some large ones they know your name as well. My favorite classes were international immigration and contemporary France. Really intriguing! Students study A LOT! But there also those who don't, it's mixed but I would say the majority of students study very hard. Class participation is usually mandatory, especially in higher level classes. Mount Holyoke students ALWAYS have intellectual conversations outside of classes. There will always be competitive students, but Mount Holyoke is pretty chill. All my classes have been pretty interesting, but international immigration was both challenging and interesting. But if you don't do the reading, you'll get kicked out! I am an international relations and french double major. My department's are great. The professors are helpful. And the secretaries are very welcoming and sweet. Everyone is there to answer your questions. Mount Holyoke's academic requirements are challenging, especially for interdisciplinary majors like international relations, but well worth it. Mount Holyoke is geared towards helping you find a job, but at the same time just learning and being able to contribute to society outside of the career field.

professors definitely know my name...i've ever gone to one's house for lunch. my favorite class is probably the english class that i had to take first semester...it was really small (9 ppl?) and everyone ended up being best friends at the end of the course; i'm even living with someone next year that i met during that class. students definitely study a little bit each day to get good grades...some people in the harder sciences are always in the library, buuut depending on your major, you will study from 2-9 hours every day guaranteed. mt holyoke students tend to have political debates outside of class, and i've definitely had some heated discussions on various topics with people. students can be competitive, but most of them are extremely helpful if you have a question or problem. my major is amazing. MATHHHH :). some of the teachers in my department are not so great, but it's cool cuz i can take classes off campus too if i need to/want to. moho definitely emphasizes learning to gain knowledge, and not learning to get grades or impress other people. they show that in the end, it is someone's knowledge and not transcript that matters.

I would say that I have had two classes which were my ultimate favorite so far at Mount Holyoke College. One class was African-American culture in society, it was an inside-out course, which is a course that is shared with college students and inmates at a local jail. What made this class my favorite was that I learned a lot not just from my professor but mainly from the women inmates at the jail, they were extremely smart and offered their opinions and thoughts on the criminal justice. It was the class that helped me decide what direction I want to pursue for a career. Another class that was my favorite was the crime and prison industry in the US, it was the most interesting class I have taken. In the class we had heated debates, excellent readings and a wonderful professor. My least favorite class at Mount Holyoke was elementary Homeric Greek. Although the professor was extremely nice and helpful I just had a hard understanding a lot in that class.

I've loved most of the classes I've taken. A few profs that weren't my favorite, but some that I feel have had profound effects on my life and my learning. They always know your name, and are always willing to help outside of class. Students aren't competitive, and studiousness ranges, but I would say on the higher end. Sometimes I wish participation was just slightly more. There are always a few really articulate people in every class who participate frequently. And the one idiot who just won't shut up. Mt holyoke has a lot of distribution classes, but I think this is so important. I love learning about different subjects and making interdisciniplinary discovories. Broadening. I know my friends and I have very intellectual discussions. Most of us are dance majors, and we live and breathe it. I am so lucky to be able to immerse myself in something I love-- we talk about dance constantly, but we certainly aren't limited to that. Its a good mix.

Yes professors know your name, they're awesome, if your a freshman ASK AROUND FOR THE BEST PROFESSORS. Taking a class with Hashimi, Ferraro, and Jones is a must! Students study preety often here, the library is where we live. I do spend time with professors outside of class, that way you can really delve into a research area of your choice. Education as Mount Holyoke is geared toward both. If you want to get into investment banking (which is what i'm doing) its great, we have classes like corporate finance, accounting, advanced corporate finance and money and banking which are classes that aren't even offered in the other five colleges so we have alot of students that are from UMASS, Amherst, Smith come here for classes.

The academics at MHC are great (as I mentioned before). Professors really push you to be your best, especially in seminars. Every professor I have had so far has been thought provoking. People here study a lot. The library is the place to be during finals week. We aren't really competitive with each other at MHC. People are competitive with themselves, but no one really competes with anyone else. We're all willing to help each other out! I think the academics at MHC are geared towards learning to appreciate education. We take the skills we learn in class and use them to go out and DO something. MHC is all about challenging women to change the world, and I truly think most women who come here want to make an impact.

Many of my professors know my name- for example, my German class here first semester only had 5 people. The amount of studying by students really depends. A lot of girls do spend all weekend studying and they are the "go getters" that get everyting done a week early and get to class 30 minutes early. But there are also a lot of girls that party on the weekends and do everyting last minute. The amount of studying on average is probably higher than at other schools, though, because professors here expect a lot from the students. There are many intellectual conversations outside of class because many students here are politically aware and have very strong opinions.

Academics are a big deal. Biology is a big deal. Lots of pre med students. They don't have core education requirements where you have to take specific classes, but they have distribution requirements. Where you have to take so many classes from each catagory of classes (Humanities, Sciences, Lanuage and Social Sciences). This allows students to take a varity of classes in which they are interested in instead of the same old boring manditory classes. Self Scheduled Final Exams are fantastic! Beware of sketchy people trying to break the rules though, they ruin it for everyone.

The women here are really intelligent, but the class atmosphere is totally non-competitive. For instance, I have a friend who transfered to UPenn because it had a "better reputation" but when she got there no one from her classes would even lend her lecture notes. Pretty much everyone here works really hard to get good grades, but not in a competitve way at all. Class discussions are usually really engaging, but people aren't falling over each other to get a word in, which I find happens a lot in classes I have taken at Hampshire and Amherst.

Yes, Professors know my name. Chinese Politics was my favorite, although Physical Geology is pretty amazing too. All my classes are my favorite in their own little ways. Macroeconomics was my least favorite. Students are always studying 24/7. Class participation varies. Politics Department is nice. I like Profs, they're always nice. Academic requirements can be stressful, so get them done early. Education tries to be both--we're supposed to get a good job AND just want to study for the sake of it. Definitely both.